Clicky

Macks

Keeping CRS with others?

Macks

Hi guys! So, I just got a small batch of crystal red shrimp to join my blue rilli and orange rilli. I’ve been looking stuff up online and getting pretty confused about water parameters... It seems like most resources are saying that Neocaridina need calcium, but then CRS should have really soft water. Does this mean that CRS should be kept with CRS only? Any input would be super helpful, I’m pretty new to keeping shrimp. Thanks! 

Edited by Macks

ineke

Hi Macks -you can successfully keep the two types together but you should keep your water parameters at CRS requirements. The Neos will adapt quite easily- they might slow down breeding initially but generally pick up very quickly. The CRS will not thrive in Neo WP's -they might survive but generally it's not recommended. I have posted about this recently on another thread but will show my  mixed tank . 596ea7c3a50bc_IMG_20170511_115953_zpspx2nqeth(1).thumb.JPG.7ea57080c9f07da6a562ce326ee741a9.JPG

• Like 2

Zoidburg

Mainly what ineke said. 

If your tank isn't already set up for Crystals, then it's recommended to get a new tank, get a good buffering substrate that lowers the pH (I don't recommend Fluval) and then allow it to cycle for 3-6 weeks. It can take a while to cycle, and that's okay. The bacteria prefer a higher pH but a tank with low pH will still cycle. You can put a heater in the tank and set it to about 84° to encourage the bacteria growth.

Make sure you use RO water or distilled in the tank and remineralize with GH minerals. Not sure best GH for a Neo/Carid tank, but maybe around 5-6?

Once the tank is cycled, do a full water change and then you can drip acclimate the crystals (and Neos - if you only want one tank) into the new tank. If the Neo tank has widely different water parameters (pH, TDS, GH, KH...) compared to the Crystal tank, then drip acclimating may take a while.

It's hard to say how well the crystals will do in your Neo tank without knowing what parameters they were raised in, the parameters of your Neo tank, and other details. They generally do breed better and live longer in lower pH with lower GH parameters. Not only that, but color is usually improved, too, in lower pH.

Macks

Thank you both so much for your responses, I think you covered everything I needed to hear. I really appreciate your help! I have a tank cycling as we speak. Unfortunately what I had available to be was the Fluval Spectrum substrate that was leftover from my planted tank. From what I’ve read, I’ll have to replace this and when I do, I’ll get ADA Aquasoil. 

Zoidburg

With any luck, the Fluval will be fine. It doesn't usually buffer down to a lower pH so the Crystals may or may not breed in it. Experiences vary.

Macks

Hmmm, okay. If it’s just a matter of breeding, I’m not too worried about it. I would like to breed, but that’s really not a huge deal to me, tbh. Just wanna have them to enjoy and watch.