Clicky

Ilibbs

Tiny white spots all over shrimp... Bacteria?

Ilibbs

First post here and very new to shrimp care. Have a planted tank with a handful of red rilis, some small guppies, and a few inevitable snails. I read through the stickied shrimp disease thread and couldn't find anything that described my problem. 

I noticed a couple of my shrimp showing tiny white dots all over their shell. It looks almost like the ich that wiped out some tetras a few months back (haven't seen it since... Treated the tank, let it cycle with no fish for 4 weeks, new fish aren't showing any signs of it). Nobody has died, they seem to act the same, eat the same, etc.

Now I may be mistaking a natural coloring here, I'm very new to dwarf shrimp. I am, however, dubious because it showed up on a different sub-species, whose picture I attached below (not sure what he is... came in the bag as a baby with some red rilis from the store). 

Notice the little white spots, even on his tail. I have another red rili with similar spots but I can't find him right now...

3711.thumb.jpeg.9bd9f5a99b7f824147d001f2de98fedb.jpeg

I don't have the full results but here is my water after I did my last change (tap water)

pH 7.5

Ammonia 0.25 ppm

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 5 ppm

Temp 79

Not sure about gh/kh/TDS, test kits are en route so should know next week

Also I can try to get more pictures if it would help. 

Any thoughts would be appreciated! I've lurked on a few other threads and the info has been great so far!

jayc

How old/new is the tank?

If you are picking up an ammonia reading, that's not good for the shrimp. 

The white spots might be a reaction to ammonia.

Ilibbs

Thanks, Jayc. Ill keep an eye on the ammonia, do a water change, see what happens. Looks a bit down from my last test. 

Tank is about 3-4 months old. Cycled for a month to start before putting shrimp in.

Zoidburg

Did you ever get pictures of the other shrimp?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Must Read SKF Articles

• Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

Join Our Community!

• Macks
      Thank you both so much for your responses, I think you covered everything I needed to hear. I really appreciate your help! I have a tank cycling as we speak. Unfortunately what I had available to be was the Fluval Spectrum substrate that was leftover from my planted tank. From what I’ve read, I’ll have to replace this and when I do, I’ll get ADA Aquasoil. 
    • Zoidburg
      Mainly what ineke said.    If your tank isn't already set up for Crystals, then it's recommended to get a new tank, get a good buffering substrate that lowers the pH (I don't recommend Fluval) and then allow it to cycle for 3-6 weeks. It can take a while to cycle, and that's okay. The bacteria prefer a higher pH but a tank with low pH will still cycle. You can put a heater in the tank and set it to about 84° to encourage the bacteria growth. Make sure you use RO water or distilled in the tank and remineralize with GH minerals. Not sure best GH for a Neo/Carid tank, but maybe around 5-6?   Once the tank is cycled, do a full water change and then you can drip acclimate the crystals (and Neos - if you only want one tank) into the new tank. If the Neo tank has widely different water parameters (pH, TDS, GH, KH...) compared to the Crystal tank, then drip acclimating may take a while.   It's hard to say how well the crystals will do in your Neo tank without knowing what parameters they were raised in, the parameters of your Neo tank, and other details. They generally do breed better and live longer in lower pH with lower GH parameters. Not only that, but color is usually improved, too, in lower pH.
    • ineke
      Hi Macks -you can successfully keep the two types together but you should keep your water parameters at CRS requirements. The Neos will adapt quite easily- they might slow down breeding initially but generally pick up very quickly. The CRS will not thrive in Neo WP's -they might survive but generally it's not recommended. I have posted about this recently on another thread but will show my  mixed tank . 
    • Macks
      Hi guys! So, I just got a small batch of crystal red shrimp to join my blue rilli and orange rilli. I’ve been looking stuff up online and getting pretty confused about water parameters... It seems like most resources are saying that Neocaridina need calcium, but then CRS should have really soft water. Does this mean that CRS should be kept with CRS only? Any input would be super helpful, I’m pretty new to keeping shrimp. Thanks! 
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Great news. Hope it continues! What sort of tank do you have? How many Litres? What substrate? Anything else in the tank? Filter? Heater? How many shrimps do you have? What water do you use? Do you use dechlorinator? What do you feed them? Tell us some more??? I think they moult when you change some/all water and PH 7.6 should be ok for rili shrimp, so follow Zoidburg advice and don't try and alter it with the Ph down any more! Simon