Moving a rack/ bay - tips needed

TotalNewb

Help please!

I bought a rack set up with 9 tanks and a sump. It is full of stock, neo-cardinia, cardinia  and sulawazi shrimps + a tank of endler guppys. 

I am collecting it tomorrow with help from friends and a borrowed van. 

Has anyone moved a rack before and what tips can they share please?

We were thinking of lowering the water level right down and then moving them very gently in the cars - with the water in 25L drums in the van cause I don't have that much RO water spare so it will be going back in as soon as we can set it up. 

They are moving less than 2km down the road and I will have my heating on full blast to keep the house warm - current temperature here is about 10 degrees celcius. 

I am worried about the Sulawasis but I reckon if we keep them plugged in with the heater for as long as possible and put them back ASAP they "Should" be ok...fingers crossed. 

I just read that tanks should never be moved with water in them but it will take HOURS to catch all the shrimp as there are literally hundreds of them

I have no experience of this but it is something I have contemplated many times, should I move etc. I was planning to do exactly what you are thinking of doing, I have 25L plastic drums in preparation and would leave as little as possible water in the tank(s) about 2 inches say. I would also remove any heavy rock or other heavy item, and anything that may move a lot (fall over) in transit. I have kept the original boxes that the tanks come in but you won't have that. The tanks will still be bloody heavy so it would probably be a good idea to get some heavy duty boxes (if they are smallish tanks it may be worth buying a few of those plastic type storage boxes (there are many sizes) as they are cheap and water tight in case of splashing water enroute (the below link is just for ref, but you can get them from lots of cheapy stores). You don't need to buy 9 as you can do 3 trips of 3 as you only need then for the transit part! If the boxes are big enough you can put other bits from that tank in as well to keep it nice and easy to set up the other end!

https://www.diy.com/departments/xago-heavy-duty-clear-51l-plastic-large-stackable-storage-box/3663602763376_BQ.prd

I would also make sure you don't mix the waters and know which water came from which tank, even if it means a few more trips, so that the same water they are used too goes back in the same tanks.

A friend has moved his 360L tank with a bit of water etc as you plan, though it took 2 people to carry it.

Hope something in this may be helpful and good luck tomorrow.

Simon