Beginner want to learn..

SpringWaterShrimps

Hello guys,

Im looking for some informations where a i can learn about shrimps. What’s the different family, how they breed... is there any books on the subject that you guys may know?

Are they some informations avalaible on genetics basics, cross breeding? Im interested on all that stuff, so if you guys can help me, could be great.

Ive  searched on SKF but didnt find what im looking for.

Start reading some stickied posts in the various subforums.

That's probably the best suggestion I have, then come back to ask any questions you might have to fill the gaps.

Start reading some stickied posts in the various subforums.
That's probably the best suggestion I have, then come back to ask any questions you might have to fill the gaps.

Ok my friend. I already read a lot and learnt a lot. Thanks, you just showed me the way. Now i just want to start with taiwan bees!!
One question that i have. What happens when you cross Red cherry(red fire) x CRS (grade A and above).

Sent from my iPhone using Shrimp Keepers Forum

4 hours ago, SpringWaterShrimps said:

no problems keeping Red fire and CRS in the same tank

Correct. They will be fine together and will not breed.

• 2 weeks later...

You should not keep them in the same tank. Caridina shrimp require different water conditions than neocaridina.

They essentially can be kept together if you meet the water parameter near the end of each spectrum. Neocaridina are more hardy shrimp in my opinion. If you have the softer water parameters to meet the needs of the caridina shrimp, the neocaridina may be okay.  The idea is just not optimal for either shrimp.

As a starter in the hobby, I would suggest starting with just the cherry shrimp. They are easier to maintain as far as water parameters go. You could then get the crystal shrimp and experiment with keeping them together.

• Like 1

• HOF Member

For new shrimp keepers Neocaridina are easier to keep and much hardier. They can also usually survive warmer temperatures in the summer without needing fans or chillers. Once you learn the basics and your shrimp are thriving you can decide whether to move on to Caridina. It would be better to start a new tank with the water parameters for Caridina and add the Neos to that tank -they adjust much better than caridina. I have successfully bred my shrimp in mixed tanks for many years but I learnt about each type first and only once I was successful with them did I mix the types.

It can be done but the Neos often tend to outbreed the Caridina and can bully them for food.  

As Jayc mentioned there are lots of articles on shrimp keeping and breeding on here so learn as much as you can to keep your tanks stable and shrimp happy. good luck

596ea7c3a50bc_IMG_20170511_115953_zpspx2nqeth(1).thumb.JPG.7ea57080c9f07da6a562ce326ee741a9.JPG

• Like 2

Hello guys,

I forgot to said that, actually, i have CRS, Red Fire and Super Crystal Blacks in the same tank and three of them are doing very well. Have CRS and Red Fire babys. 

I have spring water in front of my house. 15ppm. Very very soft and the shrimps look to love it.

Thanks guys. 

• Like 1

Im glad you started this post because every shrimp keeper I know does not mix their shrimp and I never really considered the possibility of doing so.

Do you add some shrimp minerals to the spring water like GH+? 15 ppm alone sounds to soft for shrimp, unless you add it as a top off for evaporated water and already have the minerals at a different level.

Thanks for the post!

I do add some GH+ now that i have more expensive shrimps.
The CRS, Red Fire tank is KH0 GH6 PH But i have another mix tank which contains amanos, red cherrys and other wild neocaradina, and i never add minerals in this one. GH 0 and KH 0. Everyone doing great for a year.
When i first start to read about all the water parameters for shrimps I was worry that my water was too soft.
But i can now tell that shrimps are loving that very clear water.

How are you measuring the GH and KH?

I haven't heard of anyone having Neocaridina in water softer than 4-5 GH and be able to survive so maybe it's diet related?

Someone on FB actually shared a picture of a shrimp that's supposed to be a mutli-gen tiger x neocaridina hybrid... so....

I measure it with the JBL test kit. The drops one. And i measure the ppm with a standard TDS meter. The water here is well know, because there is a bottled version of it that they sell for the newborns. It is one of the rare recommended water for the babys. My babys shrimps love it.

• Like 1

Hello there!
Sorry in burst into this thread.
But@SpringWaterShrimps where are you from? Your spring must have some magical water that can sustain shrimps so well!
I have never heard water that is 0Gh to be able to sustain these inveterbrates.
Must be the diet you feeding them? Im so sorry to ask sound so enthusiastic but i am really amazed! That water in your country has definately got something in there!
Cheers.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hello there!
Sorry in burst into this thread.
But@SpringWaterShrimps: where are you from? Your spring must have some magical water that can sustain shrimps so well!
I have never heard water that is 0Gh to be able to sustain these inveterbrates.
Must be the diet you feeding them? Im so sorry to ask sound so enthusiastic but i am really amazed! That water in your country has definately got something in there!
Cheers.

Hello jojo,
This water springs directly from the mountain, through the rock. We live at 1000m altitude in the French Pyrenees. All i know is that this fountain is known to be the oldest around and « good to drink » for more than 400years. There is definetly something special around the fountain, like a « bubble ».
In a more scientific approach, all i can tell is that the SiO4 are very high in that 18ppm of things. I was worried about that, but all my tanks are 100% algae free.
The only problem is that the water is 8 degrees Celsius all year long and i have to warm it up before refilling my tanks.
  • Like 1

Hello jojo,
This water springs directly from the mountain, through the rock. We live at 1000m altitude in the French Pyrenees. All i know is that this fountain is known to be the oldest around and « good to drink » for more than 400years. There is definetly something special around the fountain, like a « bubble ».
In a more scientific approach, all i can tell is that the SiO4 are very high in that 18ppm of things. I was worried about that, but all my tanks are 100% algae free.
The only problem is that the water is 8 degrees Celsius all year long and i have to warm it up before refilling my tanks.
I see! You are literally living in heaven?(1000m altitude) haha what a precious resource of water to have right in your home.
Well, i see why you would want to dive in crystals, the temps are low at your area. Wont be needing to invest in chillers i guess but perhaps the experts here may advice if 8°c would be too cold for them?
Well, I think that before you do anything to your water(add gh+), if the shrimps have been surviving and if they are breeding, it means you need to maintain those same parameters(get test kits) for them.
Since you probably got your shrimps from your local area, they would be kept in those same magical spring water before you bought them? If that was the case, i would not change the parameters? I guess since your water source is quite special, their survival and breeding abilities would be the next best indicator of the health of your water parameters or if you even need to do anything to them? (Not an expert, apologize if this information is wrong)
Just whatever you do, dont make sudden changes, that always kills them even if the change was a good change.
I hope everything works out good for you!
Cheers

I already have some pretty crystals. As i said before, i keep the crystal in a GH 5 KH 0 water at 22-23 degrees Celsius.
The tank which is GH 0 KH 0 is the one with amanos shrimps and a mix of cherrys, orange and wild neos. I can guarantee that my stones are not limestones because i carefully choose them in the moutain. All the shrimps come from different part of the country but none from here.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2019 at 10:45 AM, ineke said:

596ea7c3a50bc_IMG_20170511_115953_zpspx2nqeth(1).thumb.JPG.7ea57080c9f07da6a562ce326ee741a9.JPG

Hi Ineke,

that plant in your photo above ... do you remember what that was?

I'm starting a new tank scape and that plant would be perfect for my plans.

Do let me know.

Hi Ineke,

that plant in your photo above ... do you remember what that was?

I'm starting a new tank scape and that plant would be perfect for my plans.

Do let me know.

It really looks like montecarlo. But it is a pretty high demand plant.

• Thanks 1

• HOF Member

@Jayc -yes it is monte carlo and I don't know what high demand means but mine gets very little extra anything. I have a special plant LED  that is on about 6-7 hours most days except in very hot weather. I rarely dose fertilizer and don't use CO2. I have about a third of my tank covered in it from 2 pots bought some time ago. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Ineke and SpringWaterShrimps.

Going to go get me some Monte Carlo.

• Like 1