Clicky

kms

please help in ID this shrimps

kms

I have 4 of these, and a few others with a light and see-through body. I have googled and searched, but nothing comes close to this species. 2 of them are pregnant, so I hope to see what the babies will look like.

20jpxdh.jpg

thanks

Edited by kms
  • Like 1

Zoidburg

They could be "wild type" Neos. You can confirm this if you put two shrimp together of opposite sex - one red one brown/clear. If the female gets pregnant by the lone male, then you know it's Neocaridina.

As per another post elsewhere, you say it came from a blue shrimp... so "wild type" from mixing two different types of Neos together that were not "compatible" and offspring reverted to "wild type".

Edited by Zoidburg
  • Thanks 1

Jay_Walker

That being said, if it IS a wild type neo, it's one of the prettiest ones I've seen 🙂 Maybe you discovered a new species, "Leopard Cherries" 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

kms
38 minutes ago, Jay_Walker said:

That being said, if it IS a wild type neo, it's one of the prettiest ones I've seen 🙂 Maybe you discovered a new species, "Leopard Cherries" 

Yep, it doesn't both me what species, it just look different, and I have 4 of this quality, one is even carrying eggs.

Jay_Walker

Definitely keep us posted on what the offspring look like. It would be amazing to start a strain that looks like this.

kms

I will post back

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Must Read SKF Articles

• Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

Join Our Community!

• cbaum86
      Thank you for the reply. So I get that I will need to start again with fresh shrimp but can those shrimp go into the existing tank once all of the old colony have been removed? Is there any chance that the ellobiopsidae could harbour in any of the tank elements such as substrate and filter for example and therefore be introduced to the new shrimp?
    • kms
    • Zoidburg
      Since "ellobiopsidae" aka "green fungus" aka "algae" can show up 3 or 6 months later, or even 2 years later, you either need to treat the entire tank and hope you eliminate it or or restart the tank with fresh blood. (new shrimp that are not from imports)
    • Zoidburg
      The reddit person's neighbor may have used high VOC paint which is more deadly. (primer typically has high VOC) Unfortunately without more details, it's hard to say. I've had shrimp die because roommate put a food grade bag into the microwave. It was not microwaveable safe. Three weeks later, neighbors bug bombed their place. Both incidents resulted in a massive die off....   chongkt another option maybe is to get an oxydator that creates oxygen *in* the tank, rather than pulling oxygen from the surrounding area.
    • Zoidburg
      First off, you want a substrate that buffers the pH down around 6.5 or below. Second, the RO water or distilled as recommended. If you have soft water, then a cheap RO machine can work, although the replacement cartridges may be the same amount as a new machine. If you have hard water, then I would recommend a more expensive RO unit. Third, you'll need GH minerals for shrimp. (no KH) Make sure you have a liquid test kit that measures all water parameters, including GH and KH. A TDS meter with calibration solution is also recommended. Sponge filters with an air pump can be used for filtration. It's recommended to get the type that suction to the side of the aquarium.