Clicky

sdlTBfanUK

RCS / TIGER Query???

sdlTBfanUK

I have Nano fish and red cherry shrimps tank for many a year, just doing routine stuff and not really even looking inside. I decided I would try and take a photo and that is below. There are quite a few wild (brown) ones now due to my neglect! Bizarrely there aren't any browns in the picture, but believe me there are many and I assume that is due to reverting back to wild types and over time I expect the brown to red ratios will probably increase for browns and decrease reds unless I start doing some fishing out of the browns, but of coarse they are much harder to spot than the reds. Anyway, I'm waffling!

My question is, can red cherrys ( have only ever bought those for this tank) produce the tiger looking shrimps in the photo???? I assume they came from a variety of red cherry as there has NEVER been anything but RED cherrys in the tank (that I put in there anyway)? Never in my life have I bought tigers as I'm not keen on them... I only even noticed them as they were in the front of the picture, and hence blown up in size? I thought Tigers were Caradina not neocaradina???

DSC00239.thumb.JPG.b73326ce3df736ccf74b19d912e19dd2.JPGYours baffled.......

Simon

DSC00238.JPG

Edited by sdlTBfanUK

kms
20 hours ago, sdlTBfanUK said:

I have Nano fish and red cherry shrimps tank for many a year, just doing routine stuff and not really even looking inside. I decided I would try and take a photo and that is below. There are quite a few wild (brown) ones now due to my neglect! Bizarrely there aren't any browns in the picture, but believe me there are many and I assume that is due to reverting back to wild types and over time I expect the brown to red ratios will probably increase for browns and decrease reds unless I start doing some fishing out of the browns, but of coarse they are much harder to spot than the reds. Anyway, I'm waffling!

My question is, can red cherrys ( have only ever bought those for this tank) produce the tiger looking shrimps in the photo???? I assume they came from a variety of red cherry as there has NEVER been anything but RED cherrys in the tank (that I put in there anyway)? Never in my life have I bought tigers as I'm not keen on them... I only even noticed them as they were in the front of the picture, and hence blown up in size? I thought Tigers were Caradina not neocaradina???

DSC00239.thumb.JPG.b73326ce3df736ccf74b19d912e19dd2.JPGYours baffled.......

Simon

DSC00238.JPG

From my experiences, It can happen. I'm also new to shrimps, but I got red shrimps (light , dark, see-through variation), clear

see-through and a unknown type from a blue shrimp, probably got pregnant before it was introduced to the tank.

this is a my unknown shrimps, it also has a copper color band along the back, It came from a blue shrimp.

20jpxdh.jpg

Edited by kms
  • Like 1

sdlTBfanUK

Thats very interesting and thanks for letting me know. Your one looks very similar to mine (yours has more colour) as well. I gave a friend a load of my reds years ago and saw him today and he says he has some like that as well, so they must have come from the reds!

When we both looked earlier we also saw some medium matt brown with light brown stripe down the back which I assume must also be wild type. I will try and get a photo of one of them at some point.

Simon

Edited by sdlTBfanUK
  • Like 2

Zoidburg

Yes, it's possible for Neos to be kind of stripy like tigers.

Also, new info may be coming to light that tigers and Neos can breed... and yes, tigers are Caridina.

A tank of reds doesn't typically revert to wild type, even with neglect... chances are, you had a rouge shrimp in the tank *OR* one was carrying genes for another type?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

sdlTBfanUK
7 hours ago, Zoidburg said:

Yes, it's possible for Neos to be kind of stripy like tigers.

Also, new info may be coming to light that tigers and Neos can breed... and yes, tigers are Caridina.

A tank of reds doesn't typically revert to wild type, even with neglect... chances are, you had a rouge shrimp in the tank *OR* one was carrying genes for another type?

You are most likely right. I have only ever put red cherries in the tank from one source so assume one had different genes and now they are cross breeding. I got the shrimp off ebay many years ago, so you never really know what you may be getting, but they were all red to start with. I have little interest in that tank anyway, as I have the Taiwan Bee tank now, so can't be bothered to try and fish out all the brown ones as it is pretty densely planted!

Simon

• Like 1