Clicky

sdlTBfanUK

Tank Maintenance

sdlTBfanUK

Up until now I have been doing weekly maintenance which includes rinsing the 2 sponges from the filter in the removed tank water. The past few weeks the rinsing of the sponges  turns the removed water (which is discarded anyway so not important) really really dirty/grimey. I changed one of the sponges in case that was part of the problem but that hasn't made any difference. The only thing that I can put this down too is that I am over-run with shrimps, so I may need to up my culling each week (2 at present).

The tank water looks fine and the parameters are still perfect/stable but I obviously need to do something.

I am thinking of rinsing the sponges half way between the weekly maintenance but don't want really to change anything in the tank that may cause a problem or stress, so I was considering getting 2 litres of TAPWATER (unfiltered but dechlorinated) to literally just squeeze the sponges in and then discard the water. Is this going to be safe for everything, bacteria etc, even though it is different water to the tank water - I would squeeze out as much of the then dirty tap water as possible before putting the sponges back in place in the tank so it shouldn't affect the water parameters/TDS etc as there won't be any changed water in the tank? 

The shrimps are breeding too well I guess so I am going to have to start culling more I guess, but that I will think about separately over the holiday period to start in the new year..........

All thoughts/advice will be gratefully received.

Simon

jayc

The answer is upgrade your filtration to a canister filter. Clearly an air sponge is no longer enough.

Edited by jayc

sdlTBfanUK

Thanks JayC, not sure I want to go that route (have looked at what my supplier has) as a bit too much involved, but I will mull that over the holiday period. I have 2 of the cheapie sponge types in the tank at the moment and I see dennerle do a 'hang on' type of filter but by the size of it I am not sure that will be any better (filter media can't be any bigger) than what I am already using? I guess it would be easier too keep the media clean as it isn't in the tank but that would come back to my original concern at using dechlorinated tap water to clean the media in????? A big unit is impractical as I don't have anywhere near the tank to keep it so would mean moving the whole tank etc, and thats not happening!

Tomorrow will be the half way between maintenance so I will probably try what I was proposing and just keep my fingers crossed that rinsing the sponges in dechloirnated tap water won't cause any problems with the sponges bacteria etc. I guess I shouldn't be too nervous about experimenting as I wouldn't have got this far without it? I will plan to up the culling in 2019 and hopefully that may also help! Friend is coming sunday so maybe I can give him a load to feed his fish..............

Simon

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Must Read SKF Articles

• Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

Join Our Community!

• Macks
      Thank you both so much for your responses, I think you covered everything I needed to hear. I really appreciate your help! I have a tank cycling as we speak. Unfortunately what I had available to be was the Fluval Spectrum substrate that was leftover from my planted tank. From what I’ve read, I’ll have to replace this and when I do, I’ll get ADA Aquasoil. 
    • Zoidburg
      Mainly what ineke said.    If your tank isn't already set up for Crystals, then it's recommended to get a new tank, get a good buffering substrate that lowers the pH (I don't recommend Fluval) and then allow it to cycle for 3-6 weeks. It can take a while to cycle, and that's okay. The bacteria prefer a higher pH but a tank with low pH will still cycle. You can put a heater in the tank and set it to about 84° to encourage the bacteria growth. Make sure you use RO water or distilled in the tank and remineralize with GH minerals. Not sure best GH for a Neo/Carid tank, but maybe around 5-6?   Once the tank is cycled, do a full water change and then you can drip acclimate the crystals (and Neos - if you only want one tank) into the new tank. If the Neo tank has widely different water parameters (pH, TDS, GH, KH...) compared to the Crystal tank, then drip acclimating may take a while.   It's hard to say how well the crystals will do in your Neo tank without knowing what parameters they were raised in, the parameters of your Neo tank, and other details. They generally do breed better and live longer in lower pH with lower GH parameters. Not only that, but color is usually improved, too, in lower pH.
    • ineke
      Hi Macks -you can successfully keep the two types together but you should keep your water parameters at CRS requirements. The Neos will adapt quite easily- they might slow down breeding initially but generally pick up very quickly. The CRS will not thrive in Neo WP's -they might survive but generally it's not recommended. I have posted about this recently on another thread but will show my  mixed tank . 
    • Macks
      Hi guys! So, I just got a small batch of crystal red shrimp to join my blue rilli and orange rilli. I’ve been looking stuff up online and getting pretty confused about water parameters... It seems like most resources are saying that Neocaridina need calcium, but then CRS should have really soft water. Does this mean that CRS should be kept with CRS only? Any input would be super helpful, I’m pretty new to keeping shrimp. Thanks! 
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Great news. Hope it continues! What sort of tank do you have? How many Litres? What substrate? Anything else in the tank? Filter? Heater? How many shrimps do you have? What water do you use? Do you use dechlorinator? What do you feed them? Tell us some more??? I think they moult when you change some/all water and PH 7.6 should be ok for rili shrimp, so follow Zoidburg advice and don't try and alter it with the Ph down any more! Simon