How do you feed powdered food

jojowhisky

Hello everyone,

[emoji3516]im sorry for the lame stupid question but i guess if its something i dont know, i just got to ask!

I just bought some spirulina powder from the store. Because its gonna make the shrimps fabulous and all[emoji58]

My question is, how do you feed the powder to the shrimps? Asked the guy at the store, he rolled his eyes and told me to just go ahead and sprinkle it in??

Lots of people on youtube are mixing it with some tank water and just dosing it straight into the tanks?

How would one do this and not worry about leftover powders which are same like leftover foods polluting the tank?

Another stupid question, but will doing this overtime(leaving all the diluted powders or baby feed) breed planaria? (Nasties that still give me the creeps)

Love,

Jo

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Oh god, me again.

I just dose by sprinkling it on the surface and then swirling round with a stick to get it to sink, seems to work. As per the video you saw though dose a lot less than manufacturers recommend.

I have a few snails in my tank so they should eat some of it (and I assume they eat any dead shrimp as I haven't seen a single dead shrimp yet). I don't know about the Planaria or other creepy crawlies as using RO or zerowater jug there shouldn't be any in the water so unless you put something contaminated with them into the tank I don't know how they would get there??? As above though, it will help if you don't overfeed. I have no experience with creepy crawlies so hopefully someone with more experience may be able to help more!

Simon

• Like 1

Oh god, me again.
I just dose by sprinkling it on the surface and then swirling round with a stick to get it to sink, seems to work. As per the video you saw though dose a lot less than manufacturers recommend.
I have a few snails in my tank so they should eat some of it (and I assume they eat any dead shrimp as I haven't seen a single dead shrimp yet). I don't know about the Planaria or other creepy crawlies as using RO or zerowater jug there shouldn't be any in the water so unless you put something contaminated with them into the tank I don't know how they would get there??? As above though, it will help if you don't overfeed. I have no experience with creepy crawlies so hopefully someone with more experience may be able to help more!
Simon
Everyday without a dead shrimp is a GREAT day. I think we can all agree on that.

Yep actually i stand corrected, you are right i remembered reading one article and it says that planaria (nasty bugger, should have never existed) are all introduced.
With that, i dont think you could ever breed them??

I am guilty of disinfecting everything before it goes in the tank. Potassium permaganate and bleach are wonderful friends.
I know it will kill off all bacteria, good n bad and organics. Well, women n worms dont have a good relationship. [emoji1785]
The other day, a black leech looking thing came out in the pp bath!! Omg!

Yep will do what you do, n swirl a little on the surface, hope they enjoy the gourmet meal. This thing is expensive.[emoji58]

Thanks again simon.

Haha me again too :5565bf0371061_D:

well, yes, you can sprinkle powdered food straight into the tank or pre stir it with tank water and pour into the tank ... But, have you seen my "Shrimp Kandy Feast" shrimp food recipe for another method of feeding powdered foods?

https://skfaquatics.com/forum/topic/8429-new-food-type-for-shrimp-shrimp-kandy-feast/

• Like 1

well, yes, you can sprinkle powdered food straight into the tank or pre stir it with tank water and pour into the tank ... But, have you seen my "Shrimp Kandy Feast" shrimp food recipe for another method of feeding powdered foods?
https://skfaquatics.com/forum/topic/8429-new-food-type-for-shrimp-shrimp-kandy-feast/

Haha! Me again!
Will go get agar agar powder! What a great idea.
Thanks jayc!

2 hours ago, jojowhisky said:

Will go get agar agar powder! What a great idea.

yeah, I full of ideas.

Just replace the chlorella amount with your spirulina.

Of course the rule is ... you have to post pictures of the shrimp eating it in that thread.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jayc said:

That's very interesting, I like the look of it painted onto a rock. A bit too much work for me I think and I am WAY too cautious these days as it has taken years to get to where I am.  guess to sum it up is that you use egg white as a sort of 'glue' (and goodness of coarse), similar to cooking (I believe, no experience of that either)? I imagine (as with everything else) it is much easier to get what you need (ingredients etc) in large countries like USA and Australia than here in UK! I guess you could also do this to make your own shrimp lollies as well if you have the sticks?

It is sunday so treated my Taiwan Bees to a shrimp lolly and some spinach leaves so they are very happy, though squabbling over everything.

When I use the Bacter AE which is powder I put a bit in the tank and the shrimp swim to the top of the tank to get at it before I have even had enough time to stir it in to get it to sink. Makes it difficult then to stir it in without bashing the greedy shrimps?

Simon

• Like 2

yeah, I full of ideas.
Just replace the chlorella amount with your spirulina.
Of course the rule is ... you have to post pictures of the shrimp eating it in that thread.
Ok! When i do make it, i will post the pictures on that thread!

That's very interesting, I like the look of it painted onto a rock. A bit too much work for me I think and I am WAY too cautious these days as it has taken years to get to where I am.  guess to sum it up is that you use egg white as a sort of 'glue' (and goodness of coarse), similar to cooking (I believe, no experience of that either)? I imagine (as with everything else) it is much easier to get what you need (ingredients etc) in large countries like USA and Australia than here in UK! I guess you could also do this to make your own shrimp lollies as well if you have the sticks?
It is sunday so treated my Taiwan Bees to a shrimp lolly and some spinach leaves so they are very happy, though squabbling over everything.
When I use the Bacter AE which is powder I put a bit in the tank and the shrimp swim to the top of the tank to get at it before I have even had enough time to stir it in to get it to sink. Makes it difficult then to stir it in without bashing the greedy shrimps?
Simon
Agreed! Love the green goo growing out on the rock(geek moment)
It says to let it "cure", im assuming let it dry? Than dunk it in the tank?

Yep, read it again.
Fishmosy said let it dry in the sun, after that i guess its good to go in the tank. Omg ideas and more ideas.
I wonder if it will like grow again and again after its been eaten, i mean there will be leftover parts and there is a protein media culturing it? Hmmm, can it be alive again?
It would be such a cool thing

13 hours ago, sdlTBfanUK said:

A bit too much work for me I think and I am WAY too cautious these days as it has taken years to get to where I am.

No problem. Totally understandable.  It was just a suggestion.

6 hours ago, jojowhisky said:

I wonder if it will like grow again and again after its been eaten, i mean there will be leftover parts and there is a protein media culturing it? Hmmm, can it be alive again?

Uh ... no. Once it's eaten, that's it. It not going to grow again.