Rip Mr Diamond

jojowhisky

Hi all,

Its a sad day.

Lost one of my crystal which i named mr diamond, just assumed he is a male because of his size(newbie).

Prior to his death i saw a larger crystal "fighting" with him, they had themselves all up against each other much like in a kungfu movie, scared the "BEE" jesus out of him(pun) and he fell off the bonsai tree onto the substrate. He was overturned, looking too tired to move. Observed at that point that there was the "white band of death" at the carapace. Query molting issues? Last night everyone else was molting great including the baby shrimps, lots of empty shells around.

Anyways the poor guy turned himself right side up after awhile and remained motionless and twitching on the substrate till he breathed his last this morning. Sad day for me, havent lost any adult shrimps in awhile.

Was celebrating just awhile ago on the successful hatching of the fire reds and the fact i do not have planaria in the tank. *sobs*

Tank: 16litres

Tds:216

Gh:7

Kh:3

Temp:24°c

Ammonia:0

Nitrite:0

Nitrate:25

Ph:5.8

"Once you named it, you start getting attached to it."-mike wazowski, monsters inc :( how true....

Anyone knows what happened?

1b24ce1746e90beb5225c6a63f0339d6.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear you lost a shrimp!

They only live about 18 months even when perfect so it may just be one of  those things. Or as you say it may be moulting issue. I doubt they were fighting. more likely a breeding attempt that got a bit overzealous?? I have never seen shrimp 'fight', they squabble a bit sometimes.

The water parameters look more suited to neocaridina than caridina I think? And if you are using tap water?? 

How long have you been keeping crystals in these water parameters/tank?

What base water do you use?

I put this video on here the other day, might be worth watching and help to pin point any issues?

Hope you get to the bottom of it, but it happens.

Edited by sdlTBfanUK

Sorry to hear you lost a shrimp!
They only live about 18 months even when perfect so it may just be one of  those things. Or as you say it may be moulting issue. I doubt they were fighting. more likely a breeding attempt that got a bit overzealous?? I have never seen shrimp 'fight', they squabble a bit sometimes.
The water parameters look more suited to neocaridina than caridina I think? And if you are using tap water?? 
How long have you been keeping crystals in these water parameters/tank?
What base water do you use?
I put this video on here the other day, might be worth watching and help to pin point any issues?
Hope you get to the bottom of it, but it happens.

Thanks for the advice.
Will definately look up the link you posted.
Yep i used tap water.
Singapore's tap water is soft, cant remember the value the last time i checked, it is below 7 for sure.
I kept these crystals in here for 4mths. This is my first tank and its been running for 6mths. Very inexperienced and new to this hobby.
Hope i wont send more shrimps to the pearly gates. I hate it when things die.
*attachment issues*

5 hours ago, nicpapa said:

Tds:216

Gh:7

Kh:3

Temp:24°

On a practical note, what the guys are saying is 

lower GH and KH. See if you can get it down to 6 GH and 1 KH with some RO or rain water in the next few water changes.

Singapore is hot, so 24 is not bad considering. Don't let it get any higher.

Keep an eye on Nitrates. It should come down if you are make the changes above. But don't let it get any higher than 25.

Apart from that, feed them more frozen bloodworms. That will give them more protein and strength for the next moult. Feed bloodworms once every 3-4 feeds of your other food.

• Like 1

On a practical note, what the guys are saying is 
lower GH and KH. See if you can get it down to 6 GH and 1 KH with some RO or rain water in the next few water changes.
Singapore is hot, so 24 is not bad considering. Don't let it get any higher.
Keep an eye on Nitrates. It should come down if you are make the changes above. But don't let it get any higher than 25.

Apart from that, feed them more frozen bloodworms. That will give them more protein and strength for the next moult. Feed bloodworms once every 3-4 feeds of your other food.
Thanks jayc
I will try to adjust the mentioned parameters.
Must have added a tad too much shirakura gh liquid?

Actually now that you mentioned bringing down the gh, reminded me that these filter media may have to be swapped or taken out.
I used these bio rings in my filter since i started the tank as the tap water had literally o gh.

36a89c347163202312ec968ee7e83762.jpg

2 hours ago, jojowhisky said:

I used these bio rings in my filter since i started the tank as the tap water had literally o gh.

It's probably better to control GH yourself than to rely on those filter rings. Those filter rings don't know when to stop releasing minerals, which sends your GH sky high. Either remove it or use much less than before.

• Like 1

I don't know anything about singapore tap water but if you watch the video I linked he says 'caridina shrimp may live a few months in tap water but then they will die off', this is what happened to me for several years when I used tap water so I know he is right. Since using the equivalent of RO water (zerowater filtered then remineralised) 100% success. Even if you get the 'on paper' parameters right if you don't know what is in the water to make those parameters it may not be suitable. My tap water had perfect parameters but as mentioned, didn't work more than a few months at a time.

If it is easy to get RO water I would start using that (remineralised) every time you do water changes (only small changes each time), or as you have such a small tank I would use the zerowater filter jug (my first post on here) for your tap water and add back the correctly balanced shrimp minerals from one of the many special products, I use dennerle shrimp king mineral fluid double as it is a liquid so easy to use. I also only use sponge in my filters NOTHING ELSE in the filter system, so as per JayC I wouldn't use those!

You said that the GH of your tap water was 0 but what about the TDS? If that isn't also 0 as well then there is something else in the water that isn't what the GH test picks up so would seem to  confirm the above?

https://skfaquatics.com/forum/topic/14025-tap-water-taiwan-bee-uk-zerowater/

Sorry the original video I attached and the above article are so long, hope you have enough time/interest.

Simon

• Like 1

I don't know anything about singapore tap water but if you watch the video I linked he says 'caridina shrimp may live a few months in tap water but then they will die off', this is what happened to me for several years when I used tap water so I know he is right. Since using the equivalent of RO water (zerowater filtered then remineralised) 100% success. Even if you get the 'on paper' parameters right if you don't know what is in the water to make those parameters it may not be suitable. My tap water had perfect parameters but as mentioned, didn't work more than a few months at a time.
If it is easy to get RO water I would start using that (remineralised) every time you do water changes (only small changes each time), or as you have such a small tank I would use the zerowater filter jug (my first post on here) for your tap water and add back the correctly balanced shrimp minerals from one of the many special products, I use dennerle shrimp king mineral fluid double as it is a liquid so easy to use. I also only use sponge in my filters NOTHING ELSE in the filter system, so as per JayC I wouldn't use those!
You said that the GH of your tap water was 0 but what about the TDS? If that isn't also 0 as well then there is something else in the water that isn't what the GH test picks up so would seem to  confirm the above?
https://skfaquatics.com/forum/topic/14025-tap-water-taiwan-bee-uk-zerowater/
Sorry the original video I attached and the above article are so long, hope you have enough time/interest.
Simon
Hi simon,
I actually just finished watching the video you sent. Thank you for sharing. It isnt long actually and it is very informative. (Great video)
Yeah when he mentioned the use of tap water for caridinas not being effective ie they die off after awhile, im now thinking i have made a horrible decision to use tap water in the first place.
I have a container of tap water
(3days old)with only seachem prime added in for water changes.
I took the tds reading and it was 121.
Ph is lower than 6.4
Kh is about 2
Gh is less than 3
Nitrates is 10

Ever since i started this tank, no matter how many water changes i do, the nitrates cant seem to go down to comfortable levels. The tds is always high (200s) as well.
Maybe because it is a small tank, things get concentrated quickly. Im usually stressed abt parameters because i know things can go wrong very quickly in this tank, i dont want anyone to die and i cant do drastic big changes else i would swing everything off the charts and everyone would die anyways.

Anyways, i will try to do whatever i can in small measures and hope things improve, i had thought i was ok after my very first batch of shrimps all died. I left the tank empty for a mth and read up more. Than slowly increased the gh and brought down the tds(was crazy high)

Wish me luck and thanks so much for the help
Will get rid of those filter media slowly.

Cheers

Also will take serious note of what the guy said in the video at the end.
I will keep only red cherries, get them to survive, thrive and breed. Once successful than i might move on to other caridina species. I cant and will not want to keep killing shrimps in the process of learning, its too heart wrenching.

Ps:see told you the video wasnt long, it was a very good video put tgt by the guy. I did learn something[emoji1806]need to get my parameters adjusted, it is a death tank for the crystals.

My tank always shows Nitrates of 10 (but that may be because the strips I use look that colour before I dip them anyway so I wouldn't worry about a reading of 10 personally.

Small tanks are more difficult to keep but I started with a 15 litre with a sponge filter and once I started with the zerowater I got over 100 shrimps in 6 months....................

I wouldn't do anything drastic, and just accept you MAY lose a few more shrimps until it is all sorted (We have all been there unfortunately). I would remove the filter rings first, then decide what water you want to use that is convenient. If you can get RO from somewhere locally, or whether to buy a zerowater filter jug (Brita won't work). You will need to get the GH+ or other remineralisers as well.  In order to reduce your current tank parameters of coarse you will need to mix the new water  with the parameters lower (maybe around TDS 100, GH4) than that you want in the end until you reach the parameters you want, and when doing top ups from evaporation you use pure RO/zerowater with no minerals.

With that size tank I did a 2 litre water change each week to rinse the sponges in etc and that seemed to work well. If you start doing that with the new water it should adjust the parameters slowly as it dilutes the tank water a bit each time, especially if you drip the new water in to the tank slowly as I did/still do, so hopefully the shrimp will adapt to it without any more losses.

The products that are made specifically for shrimp obviously have the right balance of everything they need and as such a preset balance between GH and TDS, I think the one I use is APPROX 1GH/25(ish)TDS/per drop per litre), so starting with RO/zerowater you can't really go wrong? Some remineralisers also add KH (it will clearly state that though on the front of the container) and you don't want those ones.

Just ask if you need any clarification etc.

Simon

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, jojowhisky said:

Also will take serious note of what the guy said in the video at the end.
I will keep only red cherries, get them to survive, thrive and breed. Once successful than i might move on to other caridina species. I cant and will not want to keep killing shrimps in the process of learning, its too heart wrenching.

Ps:see told you the video wasnt long, it was a very good video put tgt by the guy. I did learn somethingemoji1806.pngneed to get my parameters adjusted, it is a death tank for the crystals.

Your parameters and tap water are probably ok for cherry shrimp . They are super easy compared to crystal/Taiwan bee (and therefore much cheaper to keep), but if you have crystals left alive I would probably try adjusting the water and see how it goes especially if you have a convenient shop where you can get RO water (if they still all die then you can empty the old water and completely start a fresh with remineralised RO water if you want to try crystals/Taiwan Bee again, or just go back to tap water and get cherry shrimp etc), if it goes well with the crystals you may get it to the point where they breed and you are all set. It should be fairly easy with that small size of tank whichever route you choose?

Good luck with whatever you choose, me personally, and I have lost a lot whilst learning, hadn't found this forum then, there is more satisfaction from doing something more difficult, I rarely even look at the shrimps in  my cherry shrimp tank, plus of coarse crystals/taiwan bee are more colourful and varied.

Simon

• Like 1

Thanks again for your input.
For now since we got crystals in the tank, i will try to adjust gradually.
Ro water is not exactly readily available here. Lots of hobbyists here suggest using distilled water? What are your thoughts on this?
Really a noob question coming but i need to ask, suppose i use distilled water, is there no need for seachem prime? Is there really no chlorine or chloramines in it?
Also, they say it is good to go for just water top ups but for water changes, we than add the various remineralizers for shrimps?
What are your thoughts about this?
Sorry for the questions, just wanna try to get things right.
I got this short write up on our local newspaper, it was explaining the different types of bottled water available in the supermarkets.

8674362db3bec4d8ab2a0be3066320d8.jpg

42 minutes ago, jojowhisky said:

Thanks again for your input.
For now since we got crystals in the tank, i will try to adjust gradually.
Ro water is not exactly readily available here. Lots of hobbyists here suggest using distilled water? What are your thoughts on this?
Really a noob question coming but i need to ask, suppose i use distilled water, is there no need for seachem prime? Is there really no chlorine or chloramines in it?
Also, they say it is good to go for just water top ups but for water changes, we than add the various remineralizers for shrimps?
What are your thoughts about this?
Sorry for the questions, just wanna try to get things right.
I got this short write up on our local newspaper, it was explaining the different types of bottled water available in the supermarkets.

8674362db3bec4d8ab2a0be3066320d8.jpg

The article is correct in that all water is the same basic item, but what else is in it is the issue. You could try getting distilled water and testing that (but there could still be unknowns in it), probably much safer than tap water though and you will probably need to add the 'remineraliser' as well.

As you indicate, to top up you want pure water (not remineralised), but when you take water out for a change the new water needs to be remineralised, as the water you removed/discarding contained minerals. In theory you shouldn't need to use seacham prime with distilled water, but I use a dechlorinator anyway just to be certain. I would assume that if it is called 'mineral' water it has minerals in it so that takes you back to 'what is in the water'????

The reason RO water is best is that everything has been removed, so you can then add back only what is needed using the special shrimp products. I had a quick look and I think you may be able to get the zerowater filter jug in singapore (internet sites, it is an american product), which is what I use and produces water GH0, TDS000, KH0 etc so is same as RO water. Your water is cleaner than ours so the filter may do 150 litres before it needs replacing, so you need to work out whether it is financially viable, and each filter will probably last a year, and it is certainly easy as you just pour in tap water and out comes pure water? For such a small tank I doubt you want to get an RO filter system which needs plumbing in as well.

Simon 

The article is correct in that all water is the same basic item, but what else is in it is the issue. You could try getting distilled water and testing that (but there could still be unknowns in it), probably much safer than tap water though and you will probably need to add the 'remineraliser' as well.
As you indicate, to top up you want pure water (not remineralised), but when you take water out for a change the new water needs to be remineralised, as the water you removed/discarding contained minerals. In theory you shouldn't need to use seacham prime with distilled water, but I use a dechlorinator anyway just to be certain. I would assume that if it is called 'mineral' water it has minerals in it so that takes you back to 'what is in the water'????
The reason RO water is best is that everything has been removed, so you can then add back only what is needed using the special shrimp products. I had a quick look and I think you may be able to get the zerowater filter jug in singapore (internet sites, it is an american product), which is what I use and produces water GH0, TDS000, KH0 etc so is same as RO water. Your water is cleaner than ours so the filter may do 150 litres before it needs replacing, so you need to work out whether it is financially viable, and each filter will probably last a year, and it is certainly easy as you just pour in tap water and out comes pure water? For such a small tank I doubt you want to get an RO filter system which needs plumbing in as well.
Simon 

Simon,
Will probably order the zerowater pitcher by next week.
In the mean time, i will attempt a small water change with distilled water and my shirakura gh liquid to see how it goes. Will prob add seachem prime in for safe measure as well.
Fingers crossed.
Appreciate the time and the insightful conversation!

It's good to see you guys focusing on water parameters. 

Once you get it right, and maintain it, everything in the tank thrives - bacteria, plants, shrimp or fish.

If you can avoid using Prime and similar water conditioners, that is even better, as that in itself are chemicals added to the tank. By using RO or even rain water you minimise the use of chemicals. And that can only be a good thing.

Edited by jayc
  • Like 1

Once you get it right, and maintain it, everything in the tank thrives - bacteria, plants, shrimp or fish.

If you can avoid using Prime and similar water conditioners, that is even better, as that in itself are chemicals added to the tank. By using RO or even rain water you minimise the use of chemicals. And that can only be a good thing.
Yep will work towards ro water!
Seems to be the sustaining media to shrimp keeping.
Will work on adjusting what i have slowly at the moment.
Love this community here, very helpful indeed.
To no shrimp deaths,
Jo

8 hours ago, jayc said:

That has certainly been my experience, once I used zerowater (equivalent to RO) I have had no problems, quite the opposite, over run with them now! I actually use the dechlorinator before I filter it (over kill and almost certainly unnecessary I know as zerowater claim (and RO water) it removes chlorine etc etc but I have a huge bottle anyway). 

17 hours ago, jojowhisky said:

Simon,
Will probably order the zerowater pitcher by next week.
In the mean time, i will attempt a small water change with distilled water and my shirakura gh liquid to see how it goes. Will prob add seachem prime in for safe measure as well.
Fingers crossed.
Appreciate the time and the insightful conversation!

I think you are on the right track, and hopefully you won't lose any more shrimps in the interim period, but I guess it is likely you may as it will take time to get to the parameters required. Even if you loose them all in this period however you should carry on and get some more as with the right water (remineralised) you are there! As the chap on the video says, we have all killed shrimp when we started out keeping them!

I checked my spreadsheet for when I used the 15 litre tank and I did 1 litre/week water changes, so that should be sufficient for you also. Having said that you should probably do 2 litres/week until you are happy with the right parameters in the tank.

If you mix the new water to TDS of 100 (as an aim for, probably impossible to hit exactly 100) you should reduce the tank water by about TDS of 8, ie before change 216, after 2L water change (2L out, 2L in) it should be around 208. Same the next week so that will take it to TDS 200, next time 193, next time 186, next time 180.So after about 4 weeks of the 2 litre chages at TDS 100 new water you can reduce to 1 litre changes (still new water at TDS 100 to slowly get it nearer the mid range of acceptable parameters). Personally I wouldn't bother checking the GH every time whilst doing this as it will be reducing but at such a slow rate it probably isn't worth the effort, I would just do it occasionally, whereas the TDS is quick/simple so you may as well do that each week to check where you are. I drip the new water in on both my tanks, but if you haven't got a dripper you may be able to make something to do the job, ie a friend stuck a pin through a polystyrene container temporarily and that worked until his new dripper arrived. There are probably posts on this forum on setting up a dripper as well IF you haven't already got one/something you already use?

As JayC mentioned elsewhere on this thread you shouldn't need to dechlorinate RO water, or zerowater as they state it removes that. Old habits die hard though so I dechlorinate the water before I put it through the zerowater. I don't use the same dechlorinator as you but the one I use does increase the TDS a bit, so that way I know there is no chlorine or dechlorinator etc in the water and am still starting with TDS 000 basic water. I'm not saying you should do this, as JayC says it is almost certainly unnecessary to use dechlorinators with RO (or zerowater).

It may appear that you are spending a lot of money just to keep shrimps but most of the stuff will last a long time so it is just the initial purchases that can be a shocker when starting out (ie the filter jug etc but the filter should last about a year (guesstimate with your water and just using it for the one 16 litre tank) and then you only buy the replacement filter so it will be cheaper from there on, though not much as the filter is the expensive part). However, it is probably a good idea to use Indian Almond Leaves as well as they are nothing but good (and cheap anyway), especially if you aren't using active/soil type substrate to buffer the PH?

Anyway, I apologise for waffling on but am hoping that my couple of disasterous years trying just tapwater with Caridinia will at least benefit others in that they won't make the same mistakes for anywhere near as long a period??????

Simon

2 hours ago, sdlTBfanUK said:

I actually use the dechlorinator before I filter it

But, but ... you are just forcing the filter to remove the dechlorinator straight away as well as the chlorine/chloramine. It only clogs the filter faster and reduce it's lifespan. 

Try not using dechlorinator before filtering and see what TDS you get.

If you are paranoid, adding it after filter will do a better job and you can safely add a lot less, since the filter is supposed to have removed all the chlorine/chloramine. One drop, as opposed to 2 or 3 or how ever much you use. You end up with less chemicals in the tank as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jayc said:

But, but ... you are just forcing the filter to remove the dechlorinator straight away as well as the chlorine/chloramine. It only clogs the filter faster and reduce it's lifespan. 

Try not using dechlorinator before filtering and see what TDS you get.

If you are paranoid, adding it after filter will do a better job and you can safely add a lot less, since the filter is supposed to have removed all the chlorine/chloramine. One drop, as opposed to 2 or 3 or how ever much you use. You end up with less chemicals in the tank as well.

That makes so much sense, I may try not using the dechlorinator  next week. Only say MAY, as when you have been years trying to get it all to work, I am a bit reluctant to do ANYTHING other than what I am currently doing as it is going sooooo well. As you say it doesn't make a lot of sense to add TDS to then filter it out again (the zerowater is supposed to remove chloride anyway) so thanks for the tip and it does completely make sense - it's just can I bring myself to alter my routine now I have got everything working?????????? I will work on that one.

Top advice as always JayC.

Simon

Simon,

"I think you are on the right track, and hopefully you won't lose any more shrimps in the interim period, but I guess it is likely you may as it will take time to get to the parameters required. Even if you loose them all in this period however you should carry on and get some more as with the right water (remineralised) you are there! As the chap on the video says, we have all killed shrimp when we started out keeping them!"
~Yep sadly these would happen in journey of any shrimp keeper.Just gotta learn fast to minimize lives lost and get the water right, also need to master the skill of keeping it right
:( still working on it best i can.

"I checked my spreadsheet for when I used the 15 litre tank and I did 1 litre/week water changes, so that should be sufficient for you also. Having said that you should probably do 2 litres/week until you are happy with the right parameters in the tank.
If you mix the new water to TDS of 100 (as an aim for, probably impossible to hit exactly 100) you should reduce the tank water by about TDS of 8, ie before change 216, after 2L water change (2L out, 2L in) it should be around 208. Same the next week so that will take it to TDS 200, next time 193, next time 186, next time 180.So after about 4 weeks of the 2 litre chages at TDS100 new water you can reduce to 1 litre changes (still new water at TDS 100 to slowly get it nearer the mid range of acceptable parameters). Personally I wouldn't bother checking the GH every time whilst doing this as it will be reducing but at such a slow rate it probably isn't worth the effort, I would just do it occasionally, whereas the TDS is quick/simple so you may as well do that each week to check where you are."
~wow! You keep your progress in a spreadsheet?? How detailed!! Thanks for pulling it out for me to reference ( deeply appreciated)
You know actually i do not know how much water to change out each time i do a water change. I did not dare to do a large water change because it might affect the parameters drastically and at the same time, if i do too little on volume , it would not male much of a difference.(you know what i mean?) Everytime i do a guess work. Could be another reason why the tds in my tank is so high. Im literally so scared to do big water changes, since i know its a small tank. 
So thank you very much for giving me a guideline and clear instructions to follow. Your spreadsheet info is very relative to me as we have almost the same tank volume short of 1litres. 
Im also curious, (an overthinker) suppose my tank can hold 16litres of water. I have a rather huge bonsai tree in a 4-5cm substrate level, i fill the tank to the brim, i cant still possibly assume i have 16litres of water right? Just have always wanted to ask because this affects dosing of meds, ferts or dechlorinator, whichever that you may need to add. Im really sorry for the stupid question but i HAVE always wondered about this. 

"I drip the new water in on both my tanks, but if you haven't got a dripper you may be able to make something to do the job, ie a friend stuck a pin through a polystyrene container temporarily and that worked until his new dripper arrived. There are probably posts on this forum on setting up a dripper as well IF you haven't already got one/something you already use?"
~yes,yes with these shrimps i drip acclimate everything, water changes, top ups  and all. Too afraid they might suffer for it.Cant seem to find the "dripper" in the aquarium shops, what are they called? Air control valves? Air stopper? Seriously the spare parts and tubes are in such variaties that they overwhelm me. I just bought myself an air control valve not too long ago and i felt like im a queen of aquarium spare parts(dont laugh its true) not many female here in sg that are going into this hobby, not that i know of at least, its all men in the fish store. I actually just went out to the fish store to find it this morning and was describing to the clueless guy what i wanted, he pointed me to a stainless steel gauge that did not look like what i know the "dripper" looks like. Sign, i think im just gonna stick to my hair clip method, i clip one of that onto the airtube and move it to the angle till i feel the drop is right(hope you understand wat im sayin?)but it works till i can find this mysterious dripper thing.

"As JayC mentioned elsewhere on this thread you shouldn't need to dechlorinate RO water, or zerowater as they state it removes that. Old habits die hard though so I dechlorinate the water before I put it through the zerowater. I don't use the same dechlorinator as you but the one I use does increase the TDS a bit, so that way I know there is no chlorine or dechlorinator etc in the water and am still starting with TDS 000 basic water. I'm not saying you should do this, as JayC says it is almost certainly unnecessary to use dechlorinators with RO (or zerowater)."
~Yeah i get you, its just a habit, you dechlorinate everything, i foresee myself getting into the habit of not doing it when i start using RO water. Jayc definately has a point, at the end of the day, the amount of stuff we add into the water is quite alarming, however natural we can keep we should keep it.

"It may appear that you are spending a lot of money just to keep shrimps but most of the stuff will last a long time so it is just the initial purchases that can be a shocker when starting out (ie the filter jug etc but the filter should last about a year (guesstimate with your water and just using it for the one 16 litre tank) and then you only buy the replacement filter so it will be cheaper from there on, though not much as the filter is the expensive part)."
~Yes i agree, this is unavoidable. This hobby does require you to spend some money. But yes, they last a long time. Thats why i guess newbies appreciate seasoned hobbyists that point you to get the right things to minimize possible wastage.

"However, it is probably a good idea to use Indian Almond Leaves as well as they are nothing but good (and cheap anyway), especially if you aren't using active/soil type substrate to buffer the PH?"
~i currently have cinnamon stick(1piece) in my tank, i think i made a mistake to add a huge bonsai tree into my 16litre tank, i feel its kind of too big for this tank. I believe this could be why my ph is so low, i use an active substrate about 4cm high so i expect the ph to be low but 5.8? I think this is because of the huge bonsai tree? What do you think? I have stopped the co2 in the tank abt a mth already. I feel that the shrimps seem to do better in a non co2 tank, also because im so scared the water will become saturated with co2 and kill them?(carbonic acid). The co2 system is too complicated for me to understand! So i had bought NEO CO2 from the shop, it was so fuss free(semi high tech? Sugar and yeast mix) only downside is that this cannot be switch off. So i have stopped using this. I guess the co2 is another lesson along the way. Parameters are much more impt i think.
Again, an insightful and very fruitful conversation! Thank you!
Jo

I don't use CO2 and never have so I think you should be safe without that! I 'think' that is used more for plants in the aquarium but someone will correct me if that is wrong?

You are more on the ball than maybe I thought. The figures for 2L changes I quoted were based on there being 14L in the tank. I have a 35L and the water in it is 28L (not filled right to top and there is rock, driftwood etc in the tank) - assuming my measuring jug is accurate, and being a cheapie it is unlikely it is!

If your PH is 5.97 then great,  mine started at 5.5 and has crept up to 6 now, but my kit only has .5 differences so not as accurate as yours. My shrimp were fine and bred at 5.5 so you are ok there as well, that's perfect.

You probably could have got RO water from the aquarium place you went to, I don't know singapore, but UK the aquarium shops is usually where you buy it, if you don't have an RO system at home?

If you have some sort of dripper you should be fine but here is a link to the type I use which I put on this site. As you will see from the thread JayC uses something similar which you can get in Australia supermarkets with water in which has a small tap (even if you discard the water it is probably a much cheaper way to do it), I am too lazy and just buy whatever I think I need than make my own. Undoubtedly there must be threads on this site on other options or making your own etc. 

One of my favourite pictures on here is of someones bonsia tree, I wish I had the patience to do it, I would put a picture of the house behind it as a backdrop:-

Keep at it you are well on the way! Fingers crossed your shrimp are tough enough to withstand the water adjustments.

I am glad you said 'hobbyist', as I am no expert by any means, just made a LOT of mistakes a long the way (didn't know about this forum then), tap water was most of my problems though before I discovered the zerowater filter jug.You will know if it is all working and the shrimp are happy when you get babies that survive to adulthood. I used to be an accountant so spreadsheets are nothing new to me and when you have been trying for YEARS to master it you want to write down every little thing you try.................

Simon

Hi simon and jayc, 

I just did the water change with distilled water today, went on the conservative at 1litres there abouts.( with 0.1ml of prime, sorry jayc, its a habit)
Pre water change tds in tank: 249?!
Post water change tds in tank: 223
Distilled water before prime: 002ppm
Distilled water after prime:011ppm
Tapwater with prime would give me abt 130plus ppm 
I think this distilled water is gonna be better than tap and would be the stand in for now till i get my hands on zerowater. Saw a baby shrimp jump out of its shell about an hour after the water change.(quite a sight to behold) Everyone is looking happy for now. 

Also bought a twin fan set from the fish store yesterday.(just gonna look for the dripper, but came home with 2 bags of stuff[emoji58], woman...)
It is getting roasting bbq hot in sg these days, my tank's temp can climb to 30°c in the day[emoji26]
I kind of thought that the crystals would surely appreciate it and with the evaporation from the fan, the gradual water top ups will slowly dilute and correct the tds and gh? I mean im too scared to do big water changes.

Just to let you both know what is my progress because i esteem guidiance very much. Will monitor the gh, ph and nitrates as i know tds is only a guideline and first alert of whats really happening in the water. 

Have a great week ahead! 
Jo