Ghost Shrimp Turned White... help!

Elizabeth

I’ve had the ghost shrimp for at least 3 months. About 2 months ago 4 of the 6 turned white. I’ve been waiting for them to die (assuming muscle necrosis), but they haven’t. One of the white ladies actually berried up a couple weeks ago. The white is definitely in the tail muscle, however parts of the carapace have turned white as well in those most affected  AND now I’m seeing black spots develop. 

I’d love to have a better idea of what’s going on with these little guys and see if I can keep them around a while longer. 

Tank info:

10 gallons, weekly water changes 10-30%, well water, heavily planted. 1ml of Flourish added most weeks. 

Ph 7.2

kh between 180-300 (test strip, master kit is on the way)

gh 300

nitrate & nitrite 0

foods used include: bug bites, crab cuisine, baby brine shrimp, tropical flakes, freeze dried blood worms (not all at once... don’t worry...)

tank mates: endlers, mystery snails, ramshorn snails  

*i just changed up the lighting to 6500k bulbs and the algae is having a hay-day. Prior to the bulb change there was not visible algae in this tank

B96715A3-A9EA-408D-A764-68C340FFB069.jpeg

Wow, they don't even look like ghost shrimps anymore.

Its too late for treatment now. However, it won't hurt to try.

Urak, a member of this forum, shared an Oregano oil treatment (Carvacrol oil). Diluted at 1drop to 4.5ml of water. Then soaked the shrimp food in it and fed to the shrimp. 

Look for oregano oil in your supermarkets.

Take pics along the way for comparison.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Elizabeth said:

is the oregano treatment fish safe

Safe for fish directly, but I cannot guarantee it is safe for the beneficial bacteria in your tank and filter media.

Afterall, this is supposed to kill the bacteria that is infecting your shrimp.

Sooooo, treat the patient in a hospital tank :happy:

But if you cannot do that, then you need to weigh up the risks.

<edit> - Oregano oil is probably more likely stocked in health food / vitamin shops.

Where are you from? SKF is very international now, I cannot assume everyone is from Aus anymore.

Edited by jayc