shrimp tank quick setup

richiep

i have a tank i'm emptying of cherries for black bee, i don't want to mix them it also gives me a chance to clear out all the snails but id'e like to keep the biofilm that's built up, this is my plan but id'e like any input as to wether it will work  and if iv'e over looked something.

drain the tank completely getting rid of everything except biofilm  put new Flora base pro as my substrait as it keeps the PH 6.5 it's what we use in the UK,  i'm then taking seasoned double sponge filters out of another tank with water from the same tank and filling my 10gallon which is what i believe will give me a ready cycled tank, one concern is how long can i leave the biofilm  before it dies without water, and will this work

the tank everything is coming from is a 300ltr shrimp tank which as more than enough filteration to allow  me to do this

10 hours ago, richiep said:

one concern is how long can i leave the biofilm  before it dies without water, and will this work

If you are taking everything out, then the only biofilm left will be on the glass walls of the tank.

Keep some water in a spray bottle. And use that to keep the glass wet. As long as you keep it wet, the biofilm will survive.

Replace substrate and refill the tank as soon as possible without letting the glass dry out.

Thanks jayc yet again, I thought that may be the case but it's still nice to have other opinions, the shrimp we talked about will now go in this tank on Wednesday will post pic as you asked when I've sorted, the crystal I looked at were not to my liking so I think I'll get them from marks shrimp tanks Norway this way I'll get quality shrimp 

Been following your posts with interest as your fairly close, well UK based anyway.

I noticed you said you were going to get shrimp from Norway, do you know of Pro-shrimp.co.uk, I use them for everything shrimp related and they are top notch and they have CBS and CRS in stock! It is probably quite close to you?

Simon