Clicky

FrumpyJack

Possible tank invader?

FrumpyJack

I have only been keeping Neocaridinas for about two months now, I have 10 blue dream neos in one tank, and 12 orange neos in a separate tank. The tank with the 10 blue dream neos has been slightly problematic though because it's a smaller tank and waste builds up a little faster.

That being said, can anybody ID this swimmer in my shrimp tank? There is only 1 that I can see, it appears to have an exoskeleton almost like a shrimp, and it swims at the surface of the water by whipping its tail. I don't think it's a baby shrimp fry because I'm just now seeing my first female berried up and there haven't been any births before, but I suppose it is possible a fry snuck in with my order. Any help would be appreciated 😁

IMG_20181027_111341.jpg

sdlTBfanUK

The quality isn't very clear but to me it does look like a shrimp. Mine sometimes swim like that at the surface when being fed.

Fingers crossed you have your first baby shrimp.

Simon

FrumpyJack

Yeah, it's hard to get a clear picture through the curve of the glass and looking up at the light. Sorry about that. 

I do have a nice biofilm of bacteria on the surface of the water in that region of the tank where the water is still and the specimen in question seems most interested in feeding on the biofilm 

jayc

Catch it, then take a close up, macro shot that is in focus.

No one is going to be able to help you identify that.

Oh, you can read through this post to see if you can id it https://skfaquatics.com/forum/topic/1384-aquariumtank-creatures-101/

Edited by jayc

FrumpyJack

I tried my best with my phone camera. I don't think it's a baby shrimp IMG_20181028_111123.thumb.jpg.9b59b70e3c69f36905d5765e1d5a56f1.jpg

IMG_20181028_112833.jpg

FrumpyJack

IMG_20181028_112846.jpg

sdlTBfanUK

Thats freaky and doesn't look like a shrimp that I know of. If you haven't already fished it out then that would probably be a good idea ASAP (it may have eggs or something) and if you want to keep it until you identify it just put it in an old jar. I would flush it though, it doesn't look like something I would want in any tank!

Hope you get to the bottom of it?

Simon

jayc

Don't know what that is either.

But it looks small, if that i a glass cup/jar you have it in.

Is you tank an open top tank?

FrumpyJack

It is tiny. It's only about 1 mm or 1/16 inch in length. I pulled it out of the tank and into a smaller cup to take the pictures and it died in the process. Upon further inspection of my tank though, there appear to be a few more in there. 

They seem to only stay up at the surface of the water where they appear to be feeding on biofilm and algae. I'm wondering if it's a relative of detritus worms. 

Other than the shrimps, I only have one Siamese flying fox fish in the tank and one mystery snail and they appear to be quite healthy and active with no symptoms of parasites 

jayc

It's an insect's larvae of some kind. 

I'm surprised the fish isn't eating them all.

Try to get rid of them manually by catching them if you can.

Zoidburg

I'd guess a mosquito