Can you identify these parasites?

Dimos

Hello!

I started having some weird parasites in my 10g shrimp tank. I first saw some long and flat worms (maybe detritus worms?)  https://www.aquarium-pond-answers.com/2007/03/trematodes-and-nematodes-in-fish.html.

Now I see some weird creatures that look like small shrimps (about 5mm long) with shorter antennas and legs, please take a look at the video:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q7w9p60lzgr6hji/IMG_9513.MOV?dl=0

Do you have an idea of what they could be, whether they are dangerous for my cherry shrimp, and how to get rid of them? Could it be Gammarus pulex?

Many thanks in advance!

Dimos

Edited by Dimos

15 hours ago, Zoidburg said:

Long and flat sounds like either planaria or leech. Short but flat would be rhabdocoela flatworms.

Can't view video.

Thanks! I was mostly worried about these shrimp-looking creatures. The dropbox link should work. Does it give you an error when you try to open the video?

Checking from elsewhere! Video worked this time! And yeah, gammarus!

Best way to get rid of them would probably be fish as anything else that would get rid of them would also harm the shrimp... otherwise, turkey baster and suck up as many as you can! Might even see if there are any traps out there or even a DIY trap to catch em.

Or suck them up during water changes with a hose, being careful to avoid your shrimp.

Just got to keep catching them.  Or you empty the whole tank and refill.

They are harmless, and it probably means your water parameter is perfect. They can be like a canary in the mine shaft. If they die first, you know something is wrong with the water.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zoidburg said:

Checking from elsewhere! Video worked this time! And yeah, gammarus!

Best way to get rid of them would probably be fish as anything else that would get rid of them would also harm the shrimp... otherwise, turkey baster and suck up as many as you can! Might even see if there are any traps out there or even a DIY trap to catch em.

Wow, and they appeared suddenly out of nowhere! I ended up restarting the entire tank since they were multiplying and eating all the food. Also, the worms looked scary and many!

• Like 1