Cherry death - black/dark blue shell

Proy21

Good morning,

I received my order of 20 shrimp from a very well known breeder. All looked good.

all water parameters were ok yesterday and are the same today.

the tank has been up and running for 6 months.

i had one cherry in there for almost the whole time. (Had more but I believe the black diamond sand created issues for the first 20 I bought) somehow this single shrimp has been a trooper and never had any issues, I obviously removed the sand)

TDS is 245

i had one shrimp die overnight...to be expected I guess. Weird part is that when I found it this morning it had areas of black or dark blue on the sides of both head and tail. 

I added in the tiniest amount of Bacter AE after they arrived. I also offered 2 granules of north Fin community and veggie. Which was gone a few hours later.

so I’m wondering if anyone has any ideas? All the other shrimp look ok so far.

05FF85AD-4419-4339-9009-0A623C65ADCD.png

6 hours ago, Proy21 said:

it had areas of black or dark blue on the sides of both head and tail.

Was this a Red cherry or Black cherry?

Pigmentation can change colour on death of the shrimp.

It's difficult to tell from a photo if its pigmentation change or bacterial infection.

To be safe, test your water parameters for ammonia. A large change in population can cause issues in a small tank, especially when the beneficial bacteria cannot cope with the sudden increase in waste.

33 minutes ago, jayc said:

Was this a Red cherry or Black cherry?

Pigmentation can change colour on death of the shrimp.

It's difficult to tell from a photo if its pigmentation change or bacterial infection.

To be safe, test your water parameters for ammonia. A large change in population can cause issues in a small tank, especially when the beneficial bacteria cannot cope with the sudden increase in waste.

It was a normal red cherry. It was as they all were, a standard red color. No dark pigmentation in the bunch. Color definitely changed after death. All other shrimp are healthy, eating and moving around.

water parameters were tested twice yesterday and twice today, i’ll probably do a third before the night is over. All parameters are perfect, tested with drops and tubes. Gh &Kh are acceptable. TDS is 240ish and hasn’t  moved in a long while.

tell me about the bacteria that you reference.

thanks

Edited by Proy21
Words

On 9/21/2018 at 9:48 AM, Proy21 said:

tell me about the bacteria that you reference.

Here ...

Everything we know about shrimp diseases is in this thread.