Cherry Shrimp not eating? Feeding frequency?

natralyselectd

I recently introduced 20 cherry shrimp (both males and females) into a 10-gallon aquarium, less than one week ago (on September 5, 2018. It is now Sept 10). I am not using a heater, I have provided almond leaves, java moss and cholla wood. I have not noticed them eating, and the food I provided appears untouched and I have to remove it all before it gets mouldy. The setup is new so there isn't algae buildup yet. Is it normal for cherry shrimp to not eat when acclimating to a new aquarium? Or do they not each much or frequently? How much do you feed your shrimp, and how much would you feed this size of a population? I currently have Fluval shrimp granules for food. 

1 hour ago, natralyselectd said:

Is it normal for cherry shrimp to not eat when acclimating to a new aquarium?

Only for the first 24hours. They should be grazing after that for sure. 

Or do they not each much or frequently?

After acclimation, they should be grazing constantly. 

How much do you feed your shrimp, and how much would you feed this size of a population? I currently have Fluval shrimp granules for food. 

For 20 shrimps, about 1 pellet every 2 days. A pinch for granules like the Fluval Shrimp you have. Unless of course, you feed other types of food. But feeding once every two days is a good starting point.

recently introduced 20 cherry shrimp (both males and females) into a 10-gallon aquarium, less than one week ago

Shrimp were added to the tank less than a week ago.

But how long has the tank been cycling for and are you sure that it is cycled and has no ammonia/nitrites ?

If you can post your tank parameters, that will help us ID the potential problem.

pH

KH

GH

TDS

Temp

Ammonia

Nitrite

Edited by jayc

Thank you for the information! I will test the parameters when I get back to my classroom (that's where I have them) and share them asap. I'll also try to do more observation of them too

I have 40-50 shrimp in one tank and don't feed them more than 3 times a week. I have the Fluval Shrimp Granules.... I don't feed them. They turn yellow shrimp green.

Primary food source has been food from OMGAquatics (they don't have food available anymore?) and the veggie sticks from Kens Fish. 

At least with my colony, feeding them improper foods, even foods labeled as "shrimp food" with primary ingredients being fish, resulted in a dying colony... but changing the diet has allowed for the colony to take off and thrive.

On September 10, 2018 at 4:22 PM, jayc said:

pH between 7.2-7.6

KH 3*dkh

GH 120 ppm

TDS

Temp

Ammonia- 0ppm

Nitrite-0ppm

They seemed to be more active today, my parameters seem to be okay. I think I was just under the impression that they'd be voracious eaters so I was probably overfeeding them. 

Yeah, they dont need much, but they do enjoy a variety of food types. Feed them every 2 days, but mix it up - fluval granules, blanched veges, leaves and flowers. They also like frozen bloodworms.