Clicky

Myola

Why aren't my Cherries breeding?

Myola

Hi all,

2 months ago I purchased 18 red cherries and put them into my well-cycled, 40 litre tank. Several of them were berried and have since given birth. Since then however, none of the other females have berried and I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong. My tank parameters are as follows: water temp - 22C, pH - 7.2, NO2 - 0, NO3 - 5, TDS - 195, KH - 1, GH - 3. My water is rainwater but I've been adding powdered egg shell in to boost the Calcium and I also have some mineral balls. I do weekly 10-15% water changes. Everyone seems happy and active but I have lost a few to failed moults (although there is evidence of plenty of successful moults too). There are plenty of places to hide and I have a piece of cholla wood that they love hiding in and eating from. I don't want to breed thousands of new shrimp, but it would be nice to see a few more little shrimplets scurrying around the tank. Most of the original babies have died with just a few juveniles left from the ones that came from the females that were berried when I bought them. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Zoidburg

If your water is that soft, then you need to get a remineralizer. GH should be around 6-8, ideally.

I have tap water that comes out at 3 GH and KH and around 60 TDS. Babies never survived and adults slowly died off. Increasing GH and making sure they had a diet that was algae based (many "algae foods" aren't actually algae based, but rather, algae infused...) and supplemented with a protein food finally allowed the colony to start taking off...

Myola

Hi Zoidburg, and thank you for your reply. 

I ordered some 'Salty Shrimp, Shrimp Mineral GH/KH+' during the week, is this the sort of remineralizer you are talking about? If so, how do I add it? I'm thinking that I should dissolve it in a few litres of water and then slowly drip it into the tank, maybe over a day or two. Am I on the right track? I don't want to stress my little guys out any further.

What do you suggest for an 'algae based food'? There is lots of bio-film and algae in the tank and I also add in a thumb-nail sized piece of blanched zucchini once a week. As mentioned, there is cholla wood, and I have access to dried mulberry and dried banana leaf, both of which are in the tank. Apart from that, they get a couple of tiny sticks of 'Hikari Crab Cuisine' once a week. Please let me know what you recommend as there is so much information out there that I am struggling to know what to do next with feeding.

Cheers

Zoidburg

You would add it to new water during water changes. You could remineralize the new water to ideal parameters and do 10% water changes every other day or so until you get the parameters where you want them. Then go back to water changes as normal. The easiest way to achieve the desired parameters is to add a little and measure the GH. Once you get the GH where you want it, then test the TDS of the water. After that, you can add in the remineralizer until you get to the desired TDS.

Salty Shrimp will work just fine!

Food wise, sounds pretty good! The Hikari Crab Cuisine is your protein. I don't know what you have available near you, so not sure what I could recommend. The algae based foods I've been feeding have been made by USA companies, although it looks like one isn't making food anymore. (only had it for sale for a brief time)

jayc
On 9/2/2018 at 10:08 AM, Myola said:

What do you suggest for an 'algae based food'?

Check out Bossaquaria.com.au.

They have one called Shrimp Crack that many people have tried on their shrimps (incl my own shrimps), and has been a favourite.

https://www.bossaquaria.com.au/shrimp-foods/?sort=alphaasc&page=2

For a protein source that is better than crab cuisine, try frozen bloodworms once a week. <- this will condition your shrimps to breed.

Myola
9 hours ago, jayc said:

Check out Bossaquaria.com.au.

They have one called Shrimp Crack

For a protein source that is better than crab cuisine, try frozen bloodworms once a week. <- this will condition your shrimps to breed.

Thanks for your suggestion jayc. Shrimp Crack is currently out if stock but I've emailed Boss Aquaria asking when it might be available again and hope to hear back from them soon.

Frozen blood worms are available locally so I will get some tomorrow. 

Thanks again for your help, it's great to have a reliable source of information being so new to this hobby.

Thanks also Zoidburg for your information. I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of the Shrimp minerals, and so are my little ones! I'll let you know how it all goes.

Cheers

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Chris0zx6r
      By Chris0zx6r
      Hi, I’ve got a 55 litre tank with some guppies, cardinal tetras, panda and peppered cories, amano shrimp and cherry shrimp (oh and a few unintentional snails). I’ve just discovered that there are maybe 10 tiny cherry shrimp (less than 2mm) underneath a piece of wood in the tank. Will they survive with the other species in the tank or should I put them in a breeding box at the top of the tank (I already have one) to stop them becoming fish food! Never had anything breed in the tank so far, so not sure what’s best.
      Thanks, Chris 
    • Shr1mpie
      By Shr1mpie
      So, I am wanting to breed my Cherry Shrimp, and I have everything down packed apart from one thing, do they really need a light? So when doing research I usually read, but I decided to watch a video on breeding cherry shrimp, I had everything correct (apart from a heater, debatable), but it said you need a light, this is a problem, because I am planing on keeping Java Moss in the tank, but Java Moss doesn't like full light 24/7, so, the guy said that male shrimp need the light to see and identify the female shrimp to be able to breed, is this true?
      Any info will help a lot! Thanks!
    • Shr1mpie
      By Shr1mpie
      I rescently got my first few Shrimp ever. I put them in a new tank with two Common Bristlenose Catfish. I have three Nija/Chameleon Shrimp and four Red Cherry Shrimp. And I was wondering what fish would be the best type of fish to keep with them. I want I nice school of fish to swim around in my tank, but I also want them to be friendly enough not to have a go at the Shrimp. Although I know all fish will want to or try to eat the shrimp, I would just like a fish that schools, remains ralitivly small and has a low chance of going for my shrimp.
      Also, I was wondering what the shrimp eat, and how often I should feed them. I have read a lot on this but it all varies. I have given them spinach that has been put in hot water for one minute then cooled under some cold water, but the don't seem to be touching it. And once I do find the right food, should I feed them once ever two day, or once every week. The other thing is, will the eat the algi pellets that I feed to the Bristlenose Catfish?
      Thanks in advanced! -Shr1mpie
    • Zoidburg
      By Zoidburg
      Tried doing a search, came across people mentioning a cure, but did not see recommended guidelines. Just wondering if I might be missing any possible treatments?

So far, I've seen people use...
      Tank Blackout Salt Baths/Salted Aquarium Paraguard Malachite Green/Formalin Products (Ick Attack, Maracyn 2, JBL Fungol, Sera Mycopur..) EM Erythromycin (heard of it) Kordon Herbal Ich Attack Personalized Treatment Plan Herbal Treatments (heard of it) ???  
      I don't have any shrimp who are infected, so I'm not asking for myself. I did have one shrimp that had the infection and was quarantined. Never made it out of quarantine, unfortunately. Someone else has at least 12 infected shrimp and they are trying products by Fritz (Mardel) to attempt a cure.
      The best treatment I've heard of is a combination of malachite green (copper) and formalin (formaldehyde), which is not recommended for inverts. Formaldehyde may no longer be available after this year (at least not on the shelves), so other treatment options would be great!
    • Taylor
      By Taylor
      Hi All 
      I have got an established cherry shrimp tank with 4 assassin snails, it has four air driven sponge filters and is well planted with big bits of moss and bog wood.
      I bought the colony about a year and half ago and all has been well lots of young.
      In the last month I have lost about 20 shrimp, 3 to 4 a night!
      I have kept up my normal 10% water change every other week no change.
      so today I went to 2 different aquatic centres that stock shrimp and got them to do water a test for me. Both tests came back perfect, no reason for deaths at all!
      what is going on?
      Any help would be very apriciated, the only conclusion I have come to is too much interbreeding, as I haven't added any new shrimp for a wile.

Taylor 

• Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

Join Our Community!

• sdlTBfan
      Very ingenious and a lot cheaper than buying something made specifically for the purpose. I haven't seen anything like this in the UK, we never get the range/variety that large countries like US and Australia get. It is good to give people all the alternatives and then they can decide what they want and what is available to them. I'm sure there will be lots of people interested in your water container. Is it easy to fill or do you use a funnel? Or have you cut a hole in the side/top (the black patch in the photo)? How big is it in water capacity?
    • Proy21
      It was a normal red cherry. It was as they all were, a standard red color. No dark pigmentation in the bunch. Color definitely changed after death. All other shrimp are healthy, eating and moving around. water parameters were tested twice yesterday and twice today, i’ll probably do a third before the night is over. All parameters are perfect, tested with drops and tubes. Gh &Kh are acceptable. TDS is 240ish and hasn’t  moved in a long while. tell me about the bacteria that you reference. thanks
    • jayc
      There is nothing more satisfying than DIY, and building your own water change dripper. I use an old 4L spring water bottle that has one of those spouts that have a tap on it. Cut a hole on the top to make adding water into the bottle easier. (as per the picture below). And just turn the tap on ever so slightly until a required drip rate is achieved. Cost: $4 for the water bottle, which was used at a picnic.   
    • jayc
      Was this a Red cherry or Black cherry? Pigmentation can change colour on death of the shrimp. It's difficult to tell from a photo if its pigmentation change or bacterial infection.   To be safe, test your water parameters for ammonia. A large change in population can cause issues in a small tank, especially when the beneficial bacteria cannot cope with the sudden increase in waste.
    • Proy21
      Good morning, I received my order of 20 shrimp from a very well known breeder. All looked good. all water parameters were ok yesterday and are the same today. the tank has been up and running for 6 months. i had one cherry in there for almost the whole time. (Had more but I believe the black diamond sand created issues for the first 20 I bought) somehow this single shrimp has been a trooper and never had any issues, I obviously removed the sand) TDS is 245 i had one shrimp die overnight...to be expected I guess. Weird part is that when I found it this morning it had areas of black or dark blue on the sides of both head and tail.  I added in the tiniest amount of Bacter AE after they arrived. I also offered 2 granules of north Fin community and veggie. Which was gone a few hours later. so I’m wondering if anyone has any ideas? All the other shrimp look ok so far.