Madagascar Lace Plant

Baccus

Going to show my age a little now, but years ago I remember seeing Madagascar Lace Plant for sale in a Fish Shop in Mackay, and as a young teen although I fell in love with the plant I never had the slightest hope of ever buying one because even back then I think they where selling for something like $50+ and this was when I only had a $5 a week pocket money income from my parents. Then for years I never saw these amazing plants again, and thought they must have died out in Australia (or been so rare I would never see another one expect in pictures), so imagine my surprise when checking on Facebook I found a person selling my dream plant, and I was actually more or less in a position to afford it!!!! Of course it was a no brainer and I contacted them immediately to secure a plant.

Its still only young but I have big hopes for it.

The bonus for me was the seller said they where growing the MLP low tech so no ferts or co2 injections. I read up some advise and found that when the plant goes dormant (most likely in summer) its best to leave it in the tank with warm water (bonus for me in central QLD since the struggle has always been trying to keep tanks cool), and that it does best with other rooted plants like swords near it. Perhaps a symbiotic relationship occurs much like certain fungi with Grass trees. Also some shade is advised I guess for the young plant/ leaves since a mature plant will easily have leaves reaching the surface of the tank.  Has anyone else grown this plant and what has their experiences been? Any other tips?

The cherry shrimp have already given a good going over and it looks like the snails have no interest in it, the main trick is going to be keeping the corys from up rooting it.

It is planted in a sand substrate with some rounded river gravel, at the far end of the tank away from the HOB filter that hangs on the side of the 4ft tank rather than the on the back of the tank. The light is a LED I think tropical grow light that doesn't go the full length of the tank although the MLP is planted down the best lit end of the tank with a sword in front of it, a curly leafed type of val near it and various Anubius and narrow leafed java fern attached to wood also near by. Also a very tall anubius to the front of it that does give it some semi shade.

MLP1.JPG

MLP2.JPG

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

It may be late, but I also have these, infact I have three different version, not know the differences when I purchased it, as they are normally sold a one variation.

1st one I purchased was for my nano tank, a 16 litre tank, they grow so long over 18 inches long and is rather thin, similar to yours and covering the whole tank, so I gave it to my friend, and he likes it very well.

2nd one I purchased, it was a small variation, as the leaves is  about 2-2.5 inches wide and spread out sidewards, leaves are paddle shaped.  

3rd one grows to about 13 inchs long and fits in between your's and my paddle type being about 2 inchs wide.

right now I have them in my nano tank with shrimps. I use ADA soil, and a fluval HOF.

hhh.thumb.jpg.8f5b6add9854ab78ebc188321ac8a351.jpg

Friends tank

2nm12sj.jpg

my tank