Clicky

braga

Conditions for riffle larvae

braga

Has any progress been made in figuring out how to keep riffle larvae alive?

From what I've read here and elsewhere, it's not entirely clear whether it's an issue of chemistry/hardness or food.

This is a basic but important question, and I think it's easily answered by running a few experiments using water drawn from a creek where they naturally occur.

Is there anyone here that can help?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• edishrimp
      By edishrimp
      Hey guys!
      I've had my CRS for close to a month now (bought about 20 juvies and adults on 30th June) and they seem to be really happy and healthy in their tank with the painted fire reds. So far the PFRs have been berrying and breeding like crazy but I've yet to see any berried CRS 😕
      Tank Parameters:
      Size: 14 Gallon Long Ammonia , Nitrite 0ppm Nitrate 20ppm pH 6.3 dKH 2 dGH 7 TDS 170 Temp 23-25c Diet: Bacter AE (1 scoop once a week-mainly for the PFR babies), Bornoewild Frenzy (once a week), Indian Almond leaves and aldercones for when they get the late night hunger pangs 😄
      So my question would be, do my CRS require some additional protein in their diet? I've been told breeding is quite a energy intensive activity for shrimp. And if so, would feeding some frozen blood-worms help to supplement this? 
      Thanks for reading!!
    • travellife
      By travellife
      My shrimp are regularly molting.  I've been leaving the casings in the tank for a couple of days before removing them.  Also, noticed the babies and some very small oblong-shaped creatures feeding on dead Wisteria leaves.  I've been removing the leaves after they're practically transparent from being fed on.  Is this a good procedure or should I immediately remove any leaf detritus and molts from such a small tank, roughly 1-1/2 gallons. 
      Would it be beneficial to the shrimp to add Wisteria leaves from my betta tank that have blue-green algae growing on them?  It seems to be like salad to them.

• jba6511
      By jba6511
      I have had 1 RCS in a 3.5 gallon that has been established for a few months for over a month without feeding. It shares the tank with a small nerite snail and some plants. The RCS has been doing well so I recently added another 3. I know it is a small amount but was not sure at what point I need to consider supplementing. I have some shrimp food and could always do zucchini as well. I want to add some additional RCS slowly until I get to 10 or so to get a colony going but want to make sure I am feeding properly.
    • Zoidburg
      By Zoidburg
      This is a bit of a condensed version of several articles and videos below. Just wondering if there may be any additional info that may be beneficial on this journey. I have two berried females, the first one which already hatched out a handful of zoes? (didn't find hundreds of babies... only what could maybe be counted on one hand... only fish are kuhli loaches) Grabbed them last night and transferred to saltwater, this morning the female is already berried again. (can't seem to find a molt, so a little surprised there...) Second should be hatching in about two weeks, and hopefully there will be more.

~5 weeks from berried to hatch
      Do not need to be fed while in freshwater (at least the first 3-4 days?)
      Transfer to saltwater within 8 days of hatching (no acclimation required)
      Zoes are attracted to light
      Salinity between 30 and 35 ppt (1.022 to 1.026 sg)
      Air stone with reduced flow
      Temperature 68° F to 84° F?
      Diet
      Diatoms? Phytoplankton Tetraselmis Dunalliela Salina Nannochloropsis Rotifers? (zooplankton) Isochrysis sp. Tahaitian? Liquizell Golden Pearls (5-50 Microns - larger may work) Spirulina Powder (mixed with water) Mosura Shrimpton Light on for 16-24 hrs a day
      Morph into adults around 3-6 weeks of age
      Acclimate morphed babies (post larvae form) to fresh water within a few days over a period of 3 days, changing 50% of saltwater to fresh once a day - 4th day, move to freshwater

Side Note: Adults survive salinity up to 17-18 ppt (for hatching in brackish water) - Adults cannot survive full concentration of marine water, eggs will not hatch in saltwater

Resources;
      https://gabhar.wordpress.com/2009/11/11/breeding-amano/
      http://aquariuminfo.org/amanoshrimp.html http://caridina.japonica.online.fr/English/Elevage.htm
      http://www.caridinajaponica.de/zuchtbericht.htm (German)
      http://www.shrimpnow.com/content.php/129-Amano-Yamato-Shrimp-Breeding (English version of above article)
      http://www.shrimpnow.com/content.php/288-Caridina-Japonica-breeding

Video;
    • roscoeb
      By roscoeb
      Hi
      I'm new to shrimp :-)
      I've just populated my 17 Litre (4.5 gallon) tanks with 12 Crystal Red Shrimp
      Water Parameters -
      PH 7.0
      Ammonia 0
      Nitrite 0
      Nitrate 10
      GH 5
      KH 5
      Containing Driftwood, Weeping Moss and Peacock Moss
      I was wondering about he feeding regime. I have fed them blanched carrot today,and have ordered  Dennerle Shrimp King Protein after reading Product Reviews. I have generic shrimp food from local aquarium for the time being.
      What amount and how often to feed them is something I am not sure about.
      I'd appreciate any advice :-)
      Thanks
      Roscoeb

• Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

Join Our Community!

• jayc
      Newer A/C units now have auto on/off features. Maybe it's time for an upgrade @Zoidburg 😁 The things we do for our shrimp!
    • jayc
      @Zoidburg, happy to do that for you. Moved.
    • Zoidburg
      @jayc Would it help at all to move this thread to General Questions/Discussions? Still looking for ideas on what these guys may be.
    • pastu
      I really enjoy cycling a tank from zero. Find fascínating the invisible process seemingly Out of the blue , where ammonia  rises, leaching from the substrate ( always use Ada amazonia or help shrimp substratos) then ammonia turns into nitrite and those two dissapear and you are left with nitrate, al i had to do  was wait, i also use seachem matrix or pondguru,s ultimate and that ends Taking Care of nitrate too.
    • Zoidburg
      I think it might help to understand what water parameters you already have and what substrate.
      As far as the bird mineral blocks go? They should, in theory, be okay, however I'd be concerned about the metal that's in many of them. The metal that's meant to be tied to the bird cages. Wouldn't personally use it, because if extra calcium was required, I'd just add it from a remineralizer or get some form of calcium in another form to add to the tank.