Clicky

christeez

What’s wrong with my shrimp

christeez

One of my shrimp has been flicking around and having trouble standing straight for 10 minutes now. She’s not dead yet as of now.

I removed her and put her in a breeder box to observe but it doesn’t look like she’s getting better.

I’ve had her in the tank for 3 weeks now, other shrimps having no issues besides this one.

What could be the issue?
 3c3111c6957e355dc48ed1b96098eda8.jpg6bbf51462fdbd56e69cc4d514a076494.jpgca198d0d0ed1e5fe7bddf0aa96a2b4ed.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jayc

What are your water parameters like?

christeez

Just an update, I tested my waters and ammonia spike was the problem

jayc
9 hours ago, christeez said:

ammonia spike was the problem

I had a suspicion that was what the cause is.

The others in the tank are exposed as well, and might show signs a few days later.

Perform a water change immediately. Say 50%.

Use regular dechlorinator. Avoid Prime or any fancy stuff that claims to bind ammonia and add slime coat, if you can.

christeez
Avoid Prime or any fancy stuff that claims to bind ammonia and add slime coat, if you can.

What’s the reason for this? :0 I thought prime was good?

jayc
32 minutes ago, christeez said:

What’s the reason for this? :0 I thought prime was good?

Prime is good at what it does ... too good.

It neutralises ammonia by chemically altering the ammonia molecules into a different non-toxic form (lets call it ammonium).

But by changing ammonia into something else it deprives the beneficial bacteria it's food source, and thus beneficial bacteria doesn't grow as quickly or even at all if there is no source of ammonia. I have aged tanks using prime that take wayyyy longer than necessary. When I changed dechlorinators to cheap old, normal dechlorinator, tanks age a lot quicker. 

Prime doesn't neutralise ammonia permanently either. After the effects wear off 3 days later, you are still left with ammonia. If you perform another water change with prime in it, the cycle continues. 

Edited by jayc
  • Like 1

christeez
Prime is good at what it does ... too good.
It neutralises ammonia by chemically altering the ammonia molecules into a different non-toxic form (lets call it ammonium).
But by changing ammonia into something else it deprives the beneficial bacteria it's food source, and thus beneficial bacteria doesn't grow as quickly or even at all if there is no source of ammonia. I have aged tanks using prime that take wayyyy longer than necessary. When I changed dechlorinators to cheap old, normal dechlorinator, tanks age a lot quicker. 

Prime doesn't neutralise ammonia permanently either. After the effects wear off 3 days later, you are still left with ammonia. If you perform another water change with prime in it, the cycle continues. 

Very informative, thank you

jayc

There is still a use for Prime ... after the tank is cycled ... for regular water changes.