Clicky

edishrimp

Feeding CRS bloodworms: Yay or Nay?

edishrimp

Hey guys!

I've had my CRS for close to a month now (bought about 20 juvies and adults on 30th June) and they seem to be really happy and healthy in their tank with the painted fire reds. So far the PFRs have been berrying and breeding like crazy but I've yet to see any berried CRS ūüėē

Tank Parameters:

• Size: 14 Gallon Long
  • Ammonia , Nitrite 0ppm
  • Nitrate 20ppm
  • pH 6.3
  • dKH 2
  • dGH 7
  • TDS 170
  • Temp 23-25c

Diet: Bacter AE (1 scoop once a week-mainly for the PFR babies), Bornoewild Frenzy (once a week), Indian Almond leaves and aldercones for when they get the late night hunger pangs ūüėĄ

So my question would be, do my CRS require some additional protein in their diet? I've been told breeding is quite a energy intensive activity for shrimp. And if so, would feeding some frozen blood-worms help to supplement this? 

Thanks for reading!!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• braga
      By braga
      Has any progress been made in figuring out how to keep riffle larvae alive?
      From what I've read here and elsewhere, it's not entirely clear whether it's an issue of chemistry/hardness or food.
      This is a basic but important question, and I think it's easily answered by running a few experiments using water drawn from a creek where they naturally occur.

Is there anyone here that can help?
    • cdaJiv
      By cdaJiv
      I currently have a Fluval Spec V which is my shrimp tank, stocked with 20~ Cherry Shrimp, 1 Orange Rili (berring when I bought her and successfully birthed fry), and 2 Crystal Blacks.
      Last week I ordered 20 Assorted Rili Neo Davidi Male Shrimp (I thought I was ordering a mix of Males & Females, sadly mistaken). I also ordered the Dennerle/Shrimp King 10g (Shrimp King Tank) to put them in seperate from my Cherry Shrimp tank. 
      My question is this…
      I want to interbreed these Rili shrimp and in order to do that I will need to purchase a ‚ÄúBreeder Combo Pack‚ÄĚ (10 female & 5 male) but I do not know what would be the best option to go with to breed with the¬†20 Assorted Rili Neo Davidi Male Shrimp¬†that I already have coming.
      Only options that guarantee females:
      ‚ÄĒ¬†Neon Yellow (Neocaridia Davidi)
      ‚ÄĒ¬†Orange Sakura (Neocaridia Davidi)
      ‚ÄĒ¬†Sky Blue Velvet (Neocaridia Davidi)
      ‚ÄĒ¬†Golden Back Yellow (Neocaridia Davidi)
      ((Other Freshwater Shrimp from AquaticArts))
      I am looking to buy from AquaticArts because they have reasonable prices and I trusted shipping methods, but if anyone knows another source to purchase from that would have better options for what I am trying to do I would be grateful for that information
      Ive been doing my own research to see how interbreeding will turn out but is such a very in depth and situational topic, and I know if I get the wrong type of Neocaridia davidi then it would be possible that one gene is more dominate and would possibly just end up being all one color.
      Can I please have your opinions?
      Thank you

• EBC
      By EBC
      Hi everyone, 
      I have been having a slow die off of my CRS over the last few of months. I am fairly new to this so I am not sure how to deal with this. 
      Tank: 28L
      Substrate: Fluval shrimp stratum (buffered to ~6.5)
      Current GH: 5
      KH: 0
      Temperature: 22 C
      Ammonia, nitrates, nitrites: ~0 ppm
      Bit of background:
      I started with 12 juvenile shrimp that I bought off a breeder in February this year. I started off using tap water (treated) with no problems. I got my first two berried females at the beginning of May. To this point I had had no deaths. At the beginning of June I had a couple (2) of deaths that I am still not sure the cause of. GH was low (2) at this time as I hadn't been testing for it, so that may have been the cause. Following those deaths I got some shrimp specific gh booster (saltyshrimp mineral GH+) and things seemed to recover. Berried females' eggs hatched at the beginning of June. One female became berried again in July. 
      Now the tank was a bit overgrown at this stage so it was hard to keep tabs on the shrimp. I didn't notice any more deaths until a recent move. Before moving the tank I removed a lot of the overgrown plants. Once getting it to the new place I only saw 6 shrimp (2 females, 4 male) so it seems there were a few lost between June and August. There was one small shrimp in there as well (seems the only baby who survived). 
      Since the move there was one death shortly after getting the tank set up. I chalked this one up to stress from the move. I haven't seen the baby shrimp since the second or so day after the move so I suspect that it has died as well. More recently I had a female die (at least I think it asa  female). See the first picture below. I noticed one day that she was behaving strangely. My shrimp haven't gone up to ride the floating frogbit since the first month I had them but a few days ago I noticed one up there. I went and had a look and she was just standing there. I also noticed that she seemed to be missing her long antennae. I snapped the below photo and went to work. When I got home, she was still there in the exact same spot. A few hours later, she was on the ground lying on her side. I poked at her and it was clear she was almost dead. Once I was sure she was dead, I removed her immediately. I did a test of the water and all parameters were good except pH which was high (around 7.2). Seems my buffered substrate had run out of buffering capacity due to the use of high PH tap water. I added some fresh substrate and did a water change with RO water and the pH is back to 6.5. Water change was done over the course of the day 1 litre at a time to avoid rapid swings in parameters. 
      My berried female was still doing well and her eggs hatched two days ago. She was active and seemed healthy the next day. Today I noticed her in the corner tipped over and not moving much. I snapped the below photo. I know the colour of the internal organs are meant to be a sign of bacterial infection, but I don't know what to really look for in a CRS. The colour in the second photo below looks odd to me. All limbs and antennae intact.
      EDIT: Just checked and the shrimp is dead. Anything I can do to try to determine the cause before I dispose of it?
      I am just at a loss at this stage. I feel like a bad shrimp keeper and I don't know what else to do. 
      Does this look/sound like a bacterial infection to you? What can I do to fix this?
      Thanks for your help and let me know if you need any more info!

• Marine Life Drew
      By Marine Life Drew
      So I recently looked at my tank and saw that one of my Crystal Red Shrimp has a weird deformity on her head. All of the other shrimp have been doing fine. I'm worried it may be the water parameters at my college in Florida. I don't know what kind Ph, Kh, or hardness I'm getting right now. I did recently see a new red crystal baby so some of them must be doing decent enough. Any ideas?

• Zebra
      By Zebra
      Hello, 
      So today while visiting a friend who works at my local fish shop I could help but buy a couple of Bettas they had there, we've been talking lately about Bettas they plan to breed. 
      I've got them in they 5-bay I sumped over my shrimp tank till I set them up a better tank, lol.

• Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

Join Our Community!

• jayc
      Newer A/C units now have auto on/off features. Maybe it's time for an upgrade @Zoidburg¬†ūüėĀ The things we do for our shrimp!
    • jayc
      @Zoidburg, happy to do that for you. Moved.
    • Zoidburg
      @jayc Would it help at all to move this thread to General Questions/Discussions? Still looking for ideas on what these guys may be.
    • pastu
      I really enjoy cycling a tank from zero. Find fascínating the invisible process seemingly Out of the blue , where ammonia  rises, leaching from the substrate ( always use Ada amazonia or help shrimp substratos) then ammonia turns into nitrite and those two dissapear and you are left with nitrate, al i had to do  was wait, i also use seachem matrix or pondguru,s ultimate and that ends Taking Care of nitrate too.
    • Zoidburg
      I think it might help to understand what water parameters you already have and what substrate.
      As far as the bird mineral blocks go? They should, in theory, be okay, however I'd be concerned about the metal that's in many of them. The metal that's meant to be tied to the bird cages. Wouldn't personally use it, because if extra calcium was required, I'd just add it from a remineralizer or get some form of calcium in another form to add to the tank.
√ó