Not a true Moss

Baccus

I was wondering if anyone here had tried growing Selaginalla uncinate (blue spike moss) emersed? Its a lovely blue sheened low growing ground cover that shows its best blue in good shade. But I was thinking it may also lend itself to being grown in tank situation possibly with co2 added. I know many of the Fissidens etc are often found above the waterline in damp or water splashed areas and this is the same sort of area that Selaginella would usually grow. There is also a lime green variety which would also look stunning in an aquarium if it can be grown that way.

The next questions would be on how to go about trying to grow it emersed? Gradually add it to water and slowly make the water the depth of the eventual tank it would go in? Partially plant it in the substrate or attach it to a rock or timber? Or would it perhaps do better above the tank in a suspended pot with the long tendrils floating across the top where roots can grow in the water and provide shade/ cover and nutrient up take.

Sel 1.1.jpg

Sel 2.1.jpg