Is that black spot disease ?

nicpapa

Hi there i found some shrimps with this dot in the head.

Aslo in another tank in snowballs.

Shrimp look like lethargic.

IMG_20180630_120254.thumb.jpg.f7e858e24c790c575d0b4e3249ae89fd.jpg

Are there more than one shrimp with that dot on it's head?

That small patch would not be enough to kill a shrimp.

If the shrimp are looking lethargic, look for things like Ammonia/nitrite/nitrates. Low oxygen levels due to lack of surface agitation. 

Would be good to post your water parameters as well, so we can have a look for other signs.

20 hours ago, jayc said:

Are there more than one shrimp with that dot on it's head?

That small patch would not be enough to kill a shrimp.

If the shrimp are looking lethargic, look for things like Ammonia/nitrite/nitrates. Low oxygen levels due to lack of surface agitation. 

Would be good to post your water parameters as well, so we can have a look for other signs.

Hi there.

I found 2-3 in another tank with snowballs.

One yellow have some red spot near the mouth.

I use sponge filters , so we can say low oxygen is out of the game ..

Also ammonia , i have lot of babies in the tanks.

I dose bacter ae , but very low  after water changes.. i read that bacter ae can cause problems, random deaths.

My water parameters are same for neos tanks...

Its 160 -180 tds mixing tap water with ro.

I add seachem prime wiht water change. 

im not sure about gh kh, i dont remeber , its about 7kh and 8-9 gh?

Temps is 26-27c.

I dont think that having something in tap water, because i keep tank with crs, in tap water and i dont add prime.

I order some test to do, no3 ,kh, gh , ph.

Yellows tanks...

IMG_20180702_120303.jpg.d583c76144df508ad98d56a9de241cdc.jpg

And the tank of snowballs..

I saw them turn white...

I have here hundrends babies...

IMG_20180702_104836.thumb.jpg.8c2243f0fa1ecfff96fd8743b1c60d85.jpgIMG_20180702_104908.thumb.jpg.191d352926ac2abb9eaae338211b3f0a.jpgIMG_20180702_120243.jpg.7d6c6db7799ea2ef9e8cc98792c54515.jpg

Edited by nicpapa

Can I get you to try something for the next few months?

Just an experiment. Call it an unconfirmed suspicion.

1) stop using AE bacter

2) stop using Prime. Use a plain ole dechlorinator that doesn't have ammonia neutralising, slime coat, etc additives.

Do that for a couple of months and see if you notice any difference.

One other thing, don't think that using an air sponge will mean that your oxygen levels in the tank are good. In fact your tank looks far too calm to have good oxygen exchange. The water surface is hardly moving, which means the water circulation within the tank is very low.

Oxygen exchange only tanks place at the water surface. So if the bottom of the tank gets no circulation, it does not get oxygen. Pumping air through an air stone does not add oxygen.

I have my canister outlet spraybar just above the water surface. It shoots water down into the tank at an angle, which breaks water surface tension and circulates the water deep into the bottom. If I stir up the substrate, you can clearly see the water movement within the tank.

Edited by jayc

18 hours ago, jayc said:

Can I get you to try something for the next few months?

Just an experiment. Call it an unconfirmed suspicion.

1) stop using AE bacter

2) stop using Prime. Use a plain ole dechlorinator that doesn't have ammonia neutralising, slime coat, etc additives.

Do that for a couple of months and see if you notice any difference.

One other thing, don't think that using an air sponge will mean that your oxygen levels in the tank are good. In fact your tank looks far too calm to have good oxygen exchange. The water surface is hardly moving, which means the water circulation within the tank is very low.

Oxygen exchange only tanks place at the water surface. So if the bottom of the tank gets no circulation, it does not get oxygen. Pumping air through an air stone does not add oxygen.

I have my canister outlet spraybar just above the water surface. It shoots water down into the tank at an angle, which breaks water surface tension and circulates the water deep into the bottom. If I stir up the substrate, you can clearly see the water movement within the tank.

I know that surface movement add oxygen in the tank, but i believe air filter add more.:)

I think i read it somewhere in Tom Barr site, i believe it was Tom that he used air filter in a planted tank it the garage, and he measure more oxygen and faster degass of co2.

Also i have a friend and see it my self, he keep all his tanks, without surface movement, and adding litle co2.

He use air buble and he add a sponge in the suface for not to add surface movement.

i believe i have good surface movement.

I will post a video .

Now for the bacter, i use it over a year.

I dose it in also in crs ,sullawesi  tank, and there is an explosion of babies...

I can cut this.

But prime i cannot, it just not remove clorine cloramines, it removes and the heavy metals.

I saw a lot of people use this in shrimp tanks.

And i believe its something in my water, my ro its about 50 tds...

Its not the ro problem , we have very hard water here.

For crs tibee, i use ro with di unit.

As i wrote above i am waiting for test...

If you have Bee shrimp they don’t like KH. More than like 1 can lead to problems.

Bacter AE has organics that can increase your Ammonia levels. It would be a better practice to feed it first and do a WC a day later to reduce any bad byproducts ?

8 hours ago, jessaweeshrimp said:

If you have Bee shrimp they don’t like KH. More than like 1 can lead to problems.

Bacter AE has organics that can increase your Ammonia levels. It would be a better practice to feed it first and do a WC a day later to reduce any bad byproducts ?

I know that, i keep 5 tanks with without a problem...

0 kh and 4-5 gh

A question

Babies arent more sensitive?

If it was from ammonia spikes?

I get the test

Here we go.

I done some no3 test in problem tanks.

With api no3 test i get in snowballs 20-40 , with jbl 5-10

Api no3 in yelllows was 5

My tap water change...

I get now, in the tanks 5 kh 5 gh

and when i prepair it have 6 gh 6kh .

I use as i wrote above, for neos mix tap ro water.

Ro water give me 48 ppm tds.

Ph was over 7 .

What no3 test are you prefer?

I try them all, the api is the faster.

im not sure about gh kh, i dont remeber , its about 7kh and 8-9 gh?

Thats what I was referring to. I thought I had read that you had some KH in there which isn’t good if you are keeping Caradina. Babies are more adaptable but I can’t say that they would be more ammonia resilient. 

11 minutes ago, jessaweeshrimp said:

Thats what I was referring to. I thought I had read that you had some KH in there which isn’t good if you are keeping Caradina. Babies are more adaptable but I can’t say that they would be more ammonia resilient. 

The problem is ( or it was ) with  neocaridina shrimps not caridina.

After 2 big water change and use easy filter powder i didnt found or saw any death,...

I will see how it will go, i cut the bacter ae.

17 minutes ago, jessaweeshrimp said:

Here a video whith babies in crs tanks, i use bacte ae product as in other tanks.

Look the babies,, in the first tank the adult are 5-7.... 2 male and other females.

It dont show on camera but the babies are 300+

NO3 is Nitrite correct? That should just about zero. I had the Snowballs confused. I use Bacter AE in a nee set up or as a weekly supplement and rotate with BetaGluten and now SL Magic Powder. 

The magic powder gets more and better reviews than any ither product out there ?

1 minute ago, nicpapa said:

The problem is ( or it was ) with  neocaridina shrimps not caridina.

After 2 big water change and use easy filter powder i didnt found or saw any death,...

I will see how it will go, i cut the bacter ae.

3 minutes ago, jessaweeshrimp said:

NO3 is Nitrite correct? That should just about zero. I had the Snowballs confused. I use Bacter AE in a nee set up or as a weekly supplement and rotate with BetaGluten and now SL Magic Powder. 

The magic powder gets more and better reviews than any ither product out there ?

I know that i read it somewhere.

I cant find here, magic powder, and all the product i buy from Germans.

But i dont believe that is something beter..

No3 its nitrate...

I have betaglucane but i dont use it..

I dont believe that it helps..

If your plants aren’t using up the Nitrate then you need to do water changes to remove it. I have mostly smaller tanks that are easier to keep up with.

Is that a large flat feeding dish in the video? I have read in more than spot that a large covered area can lead to anaerobic conditions in the gravel and pissible cause a gas build up. Just something I have read so I wanted to pass it along ?

38 minutes ago, jessaweeshrimp said:

If your plants aren’t using up the Nitrate then you need to do water changes to remove it. I have mostly smaller tanks that are easier to keep up with.

Is that a large flat feeding dish in the video? I have read in more than spot that a large covered area can lead to anaerobic conditions in the gravel and pissible cause a gas build up. Just something I have read so I wanted to pass it along ?

Yes its a diy glass for feed.

It cant grow anaerobic, my substrate are 2-3 cm...

Under the glass is lower , its about 1 cm or less..

I do water changes every week..

Smaller tanks are not stable..

Its not a problem wiht no3...

Edited by nicpapa

1 minute ago, nicpapa said:

Yes its a diy glass for feed.

It cant grow anaerobic, my substrate are 2-3 cm...

Under the glass is lower , its about 1 cm or less..

I do water changes every week..

Smaller tanks are not stable..

Its not a problem wiht no3...

Smaller tanks are stable if you maintain them. I have 14 currently and with regular WC’s the light/dark cycle changes the parameters more than anything else.

Good luck with everything ?

2 minutes ago, jessaweeshrimp said:

Smaller tanks are stable if you maintain them. I have 14 currently and with regular WC’s the light/dark cycle changes the parameters more than anything else.

Good luck with everything ?

When you say smaller tank , what size?

My tanks are 100l liter , and 36 liters.

Smaller tanks need more wc you cannot feed a lot  ,  and in some species big water change is not good.

I understand and it is a true statement for the moat part. I can change my parameters and or influence them more easily in my smaller tanks. I have 4 @ 8-10 liters and 7 @ 18-20 liters, 2 @ 38 liters, one at 775  liters and one at 110 liters and one at about 275. The bigger they are the harder they fall ? and the harder they are to make corrections. Wvery small tank I have is successful in the early stages. The trick is as time goes on keeping it productive ? I am still working on that part ?

Nicpapa, list all the products you use in your tank, please.

7 hours ago, jayc said:

Nicpapa, list all the products you use in your tank, please.

For neo tanks

seachem prime

bacter ae

mix tap ro

GlasGartenLiquid Humin

leaves catapa, banana, oak, and walnut

For crs tanks

SaltyShrimp Easy Filter Powder

GT essentials Mineral healthy

bacter ae

rodi+  salty shrimp gh+

GlasGartenLiquid Humin

leaves catapa, banana, oak, and walnut

For foods:
hikari algae wafers,
One cheap company algae wafers , i dont remeber the name
From GlasGarten:
baby food
diner food
Shrimp Snacks herbal mix
Shrimp Snacks dandelion
Shrimp Snacks Snow Flakes,
GT essentials Pudding classic

In planted tank i use 0.01fe dtp, and 0.01fe tnc trace once a week .

I think thats all...

Edited by nicpapa