Fungus in cycling tank

zwylde

Re-cycling a new tank to get ready for shrimp.  I decided to bleach it after loosing a lot of shrimp.  It is fully cycled and there are a few danios and nerites keeping it cycled.  This setup is a couple months old.  In the previous setup this fungus was growing and a couple weeks after bleaching it started growing again.  Does anyone know what this is?  The snails don't touch it.  The shrimp stayed off of it as well.  This piece of spiderwood was boiled prior to being placed in the previous setup then bleached before starting this current setup.  Any thoughts?  Is it safe to put in shrimp or should I ditch the wood?

20180529_161201_HDR.jpg

20180529_161442.jpg

On 5/30/2018 at 8:34 AM, zwylde said:

Any thoughts?  Is it safe to put in shrimp or should I ditch the wood?

It's fungus of some type. Common in newly cycled tanks.

It's not harmful to fish or shrimp. Just a bit ugly.

Take it out, pour boiling water over it and scrub it off with a brush. 

No soaps and absolutely no bleach.

It might come back again, but it will be less and will eventually stop.

Just be patient.

Edited by jayc

What shrimps do you keep? Have you try Amano shrimps? They are very hardworking worker shrimps that will clean this in no time.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Zwylde,

That white stuff on the wood is simply sugar sap from the driftwood still leaching and by now should be gone as I see the post dates back to March.

nothing to worry about, it is completely harmless to shrimp

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I had this on some spikey looking nut things (similar to wood) that were sent free with some shrimps I bought. I am with jayc. The shrimps didn't eat it but they weren't bothered by it, in what was a newly set up 15L tank. I discarded the items as it really is ugly stuff and have never seen it on anything else since, so it didn't spread/infect anything else, not that I left it in the tank for long as it bothered/worried me at the time.