Clicky

TheKeeper

Co2 in a planted shrimp tank

TheKeeper

Ive done alot of research but let me explain my set up for you. I have a 6 gal tank that is approx 12 inch tall. It is a fertilized and currently has a DIY co2 on it, i did this by taking a 2 liter bottle and adding sugar and yeast, it is connected to a special co2 bubble (whatever they are called). The tank also has high lighting and is completely planted carpeted and bigger plants. Im about to be adding in my cherry shrimp and know that gassing them with co2 is possible at night. And im wanting to avoid this of course. Yet i dont want to spend alot of money upgrading my co2 system. The co2 bubblier is only 8-9 inchs from the water line. The majority of the bubbles reach the surface meaning not all the co2 is dissolving or there are other gasses present. Im wondering if I can get away with this co2 delivery system. Or what simple upgrades could be made so that it doesn't run at night? from what i understand it would be at night i would gas the shrimp? Also I do a 50% water change 1 if not 2 times a week. 

Options ive thought of-

1. Instead of a 2 liter bottle maybe like a 12 oz bottle, scale back the yeast and sugar so there is less co2 being produced

2. Releasing the pressure in the DIY bubblier before bed. so it would take maybe 4-6 hour for the pressure to build up again and start bubbling 

3. Upgrading system (Dont want to do this really, but i though of it)

WhySoCRS

You can turn the CO2 off at lights out mate, u don’t need it during the night when there is no lighting period.

Sent from my iPhone using Shrimp Keepers Forum

jayc

@TheKeeper, it is very difficult keeping plants and shrimp together in a high light/high fert tank. It's one or the other. A compromise is needed. 

Since you don't want to spend money to fix the overnight CO2 gassing, then then shrimp has to go.

Alternatively, I question how many plants you can have in a 6gal the needs co2.

What plants do you have?

Can you change them to low light mosses, ferns or subwassertang?

@WhySoCRS, you can't turn off DIY co2. It keeps producing co2 in the bottle until all the sugar is consumed. If it is blocked to stop the bubbles from coming out, the bottle explodes!

• Like 1

TheKeeper

I can stop it by releasing all the pressure in it before bed. meaning it actually wont bubble again for 4-8 hours till the pressure builds up again. Thus delaying the co2 build up. Any suggestions for a cheaper co2 delivery system? Cause im very interested in having the full carpet on the bottom and i love the stunning green co2 provides.

@jayc Also, its very do-able to have both shrimp and a planted tank, I see it done to often.

I currently have S-repens (carpeted), and ill be adding  Pogostemon helferi, mayaca fluviatilis

icon_difficulty_Medium.png

Edited by TheKeeper

jayc
32 minutes ago, TheKeeper said:

Pogostemon helferi

Love the Pogo. You will have to post some pics. Pleeaassseeeee.

I didn't say it was not doable. It's difficult and requires a lot of attention. As long as you can maintain a tight regime of monitoring water parameters for both shrimp and plants, then it's doable. But alas, I'm lazy and busy. 

36 minutes ago, TheKeeper said:

Any suggestions for a cheaper co2 delivery system?

Don't know of a cheap system. You'll need something with a electronic solenoid on a CO2 tank that will shut off at nights.

TheKeeper

@jayc Thanks for the help and advice, here in a couple of weeks once I get the system up and going and deside on what to do I will definitely post pictures!

WhySoCRS

Yeah I misread this as DIY CO2.

Sent from my iPhone using Shrimp Keepers Forum

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Zoidburg
      By Zoidburg
      Short info...

I'm in USA
      I got these from a pet store
      They were being sold as something they clearly are not
      Larger than cherry shrimp, smaller than amanos (as in, at best, females get to the size of an adult male amano, but not female from what little I can see)
      *NOT* Neocaridina
      *LARVAL STAGE of 1+ weeks*

I've been told these are 4 different species (well, 6 or 7 if we count the ones I know aren't true) so I'm looking for some second opinions on what they might be... what I do know is that after a week or so, the larvae have not transformed into miniature adults. These are some of the more colorful shrimp, some have less colors but they all mainly share the dark "band" midway down their tail, except males which may appear very bland. (I'm not entirely sure it's only one species of shrimp...)

Female

Male

And a 5+ day old larvae/zoe (younger zoe don't show as much color - more clear)

And just to throw a curve ball in there... here's another shrimp that was mixed in with the type above! (clear shrimp, appears more yellow than he really is... this is also a relatively small shrimp, hardly any bigger than an adult cherry shrimp. He's the only one...)

• Brooohm
      By Brooohm
      Hello. I have a rather new aquarium set up. Its 20 litres (5-6 gallons). I cycled it for a couple of weeks, and tested the nitrates (0.05). I then did a 50% water change and bought 10 rcs, and 6 neon tetras. It all went fine, i may have overfed a bit in the beginning, but made sure to do a 20% water change every twice a week, to compliment that. 2 first weeks went fine, but then i noticed a dead shrimp. I pulled it out, did a water change, and didnt give it much thought. About 3-4 days later, and i just found a dead neon. I might suspect i have lost more shrimp, since i couldnt see them all today, but i dont know for sure. I was just wondering, is it normal to lose a couple of fish the first month of a new tank, or should i be worried? The water temperature is around 24C (75 Fahrenheit), and they dont give any signs of struggle.

Thanks in advance
    • TheKeeper
      By TheKeeper
      So I currently have a 6 gallon planted tank that has been set up and running for 3 weeks. Im about to purchase my red cherry shrimp to put in this tank. There is plenty of algae in the tank for them to eat, so food should be fine for the beginning correct? Plus it is heavily planted meaning there is plenty of organic matter to be consumed at all times, so they shouldn't really need to be fed ever? Also i see that drip acclimation is best for getting them used to there new home. If i did this till the tank is half empty for provided them with as close conditions as possible without emptying the tank. Am i good to just refill the tank afterward or from now on when i do water changes do they all need to be dripped in? Also is it true that adding calcium to the tank is beneficial for the shrimp to molt?
      Im a pretty experienced fish keeper, just haven't ever had with shrimp so I dont want to kill all these expensive shrimps due to lack on knowledge. Any more knowledge or advice that can be given to me is high encouraged, even if it seems simple. 
      Some specs of the tank, tanks does have a filter, that has small openings that could suck up baby shrimp. Its a small filter and has algae growth on the openings so it really does reduce the flow a bit, where i dont see it becoming a  huge issue. The tank is co2 injected, but thats pretty nailed down so nuking them with co2 is highly unlikely. The tank has a soil bottom capped with coarse sand. The vast majority of the bottom of the tank is carpeted with plants but they still have a way to go. There is no lid on the top of the tank. The tank does have some natural river stones in it with the brown algae growth on them. And a lot of the plants have the white "bugger" algae growing on them or around them. The tank receives about 10 hours of light a day. I know i put a lot of un-important information here, but maybe a pro will see a problem here and be able to inform me so I can correct it. Thanks for your time and consideration in advance!!!!
      Regards
      -The Keeper

• Must Read SKF Articles

• Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

Join Our Community!

• jayc
      Thanks. It would help determine if there are any signs of disease on them.   In all the time I have kept shrimp, and researching shrimp diseases, I have not actually seen shrimp loosing legs in a shrimp only tank. However, it can be a possibility. If they have a particularly difficult time at moulting, and can rip off their legs during the moulting process. The good news is that shrimp can regrow legs, after moulting a couple of times. The hard part is keeping them healthy long enough till their next moult. What concerns me is that it is happening to more than one. Let's go back to water parameters. Can you list all the parameters you can? Water hardness, and calcium is of particular concern to me. Are you adding any form of calcium to the tank?
    • jswljones
      No fish, just one snail and hard to do macro shots on my old phone. Plus i have no breeder box.. I'll try to see what I can do and get better ones in the morning.
    • jayc
      Do you have fish? We need a Macro shot of the shrimp please. Can't see anything with a zoomed in, with the shrimps on a black background. Put them in a breeder box to photograph them easier.  
    • jswljones
      As my title states, The last few days my cherries have lost some of their legs and one died this morning. Not sure whats going on and my google-fu hasn't turned up anything. Hope you guys can point me in the right direction. I upgraded to a 10 gal from a 2 gal about 3 weeks ago with no problems. I cycled the tank for about 2 weeks before and all are in line. Here are some pictures:  
    • sky99
      Hello, Indeed, there shall be a pH variation depending on the plants that use/release CO2. However, 0.2 is comparable to the measurement error of a pH pen (i bought 2 and average the measures, and generally repeat the measuring 2-3 times if i need something more accurate). Concerning the akadama, the one i bough is Akadama Ibaki, and i think that it is the brand of it, the model is "double hard line". All technical soils will be "used up" at some point, and have to be replaced to get the buffering effect. However, the largest the effect on the water, the faster it will use the chemicals... For the same soil, if you're starting from 8.5 pH water to go to 6, it will probably use faster. In my case, my tap water is pH 7, KH 0 and GH 0, and i get to 6.5 pH, so i expect it to last a long time. If you want to do smaller doses of technical soil to lower "just a little" , i wonder if akadama will be strong enough for that? Or maybe it would simply take a long time to buffer the water to the final value... Anyway, in my case, the main goal is to keep shrimps. Some tanks are scaped, but if the soil "runs out", i'll probably either keep the scape with a population that likes the default water parameters, or redo the tank. But i have 11 tanks so i can move populations around i guess; if you only have this tank i don't know how to proceed... One thing i have noted though : Seyru stone increases the PH to aproximately 8 (again from near RO water parameters : GH/KH at 0, pH 7, TDS at 40), and the effect lasts extremely long (i have tanks with seyru stone that are years old, still the same parameters), so perhaps if we could find a rock that produces acidic water, it would create a long lasting buffer... With the large rock it takes more time than with technical soil to reach the final value, but basically lasts forever...