New SKFA Members

WhySoCRS

Hi all, I've noticed that there are a few new members joining lately from all over the world but aren't posting... 

C'mon people, don't be shy, I'm interested (and I'm sure others are also) to hear from you new guys and find out where you are from, what shrimp you are keeping and what your set ups are.

I'll start...

I'm WhySoCRS (Why So Serious), from Australia, I'm keeping 9 Crystal Red Shrimp in a 70 litre tank, substrate is Benibachi, plants are Anubias nana, Anubias afzeli, Moss and Amazon Frogbit, a couple pieces of Malaysian driftwood and that's it, am going to add more Anubias and Moss once things are settled more.

Am running a Eheim 2213 canister, not heated as the tank is sitting at a stable temp of 22c/23c, lighting is a Ista Cree 60cm LED with a dimmer attached, I use Salty Shrimp gH+, Boss Aquaria Booster, Boss Aquaria Mineral Balls, Boss Aquaria Mineral Powder, alder cones (currently not in the tank though), foods I'm using are Benibachi Kale Tablets, Hikari Shrimp Cuisine, Boss Aquaria Shrimp Crack, Boss Aquaria Baby Powder and am waiting on an order of Azoo Max Breed and Azoo Max Growth.

Water is rain water, water changes are done either each Sunday or a Sunday each fortnight, am using a shrimp feeding dish and am waiting on a feeding tube to keep the substrate clean.

Thankfully have managed to get one of the females to produce some juvi, currently can see 4 juvi, can't believe how tiny they are, nice strong colours also, really impressed and stoked to get them to breed and also have another 2 females berried and fanning like crazy, shouldn't be long now.

C'mon new members, get amongst it and share where you are from, what you are keeping and if you want, tell us your set ups, because I for one am interested to see what is out there.

Edited by WhySoCRS
  • Like 1

Hi all

I have recently returned to shrimp breeding after taking a very long break. I started back when CRS first arrived in Australia and produced and sold many thousands of shrimp. I am now working with high grade CRS and more recently PBL and have already produced several hundred CRS for retail aquariums in Melbourne in the last few months.

I started playing with Taiwan bees but just can’t see the fascination with them - CRS are just nicer looking shrimp. I will have a crack at fancy red tigers on the side. 

Seems there are still some nice shrimp around.

Matt 

• Like 1

Hi Matt,

Just got back into keeping shrimp as well, no where near the knowledge of you by the sounds though.

Flick a photo or two up of some of your shrimp & set up if you want, would love to see.

CRS are definitely lookers aren’t they, I’m pretty keen on Bloody Mary & Blue Dreams also, a future plan perhaps but for now it’s CRS for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Shrimp Keepers Forum

I have a few jungle pythons + one albino carpet 

I keep anubias in all my shrimp tanks and have never had a problem with it.

I can’t post pics of the other side of the room due to data size limit, but mostly breeding Snow White, SSS, SS, S and A Grade CRS.

Everyone tells me to do PRL but many of mine have nice red legs and there are worse things than finding the occasional Snow White in the tank.

• Like 1

Awesome!

So you keep a fair variety of shrimp then, nice.

Be great to see more of your room.

Yeah breed what you enjoy.

Edited by WhySoCRS

Not new... but.....

Hi, my name is Ishtar (on the net at least... and most people around Twitch and such just call me Ish).

I am in the process of setting up my first tank. Which is proving to be a bit of a drama due to pests (possible planaria, most certinly hydra and I think seed shrimp which were ok). I have a thread that has documented my journey so far here.

Like most people I am trying to do this on as small a budget as possible ?

I splurged with all my birthday money on the Aquael Shrimp Set Smart 30, because it was perfect for me size wise... but now I have to be careful of price.

I hope to get some blue cherries. Dream, maybe blue carbon rili if I can source.... Would love some blue jellies but they seem pretty hard to find in AU (and totally different like to the others so would probably not breed the best). I just want bllluuuueee any and all shades! Not trying for a 'clean' line or anything.... just pretty blues to look at while at the PC.

Been in a funk because of the pests, but I am back on track.... re-booting the cycle after a pull apart and sub-straight change to try and get rid of the worms. If all else fails I will get a pretty blue/white betta/Siamese fighting fish that the pests won't bother ?

• Like 1

I'm currently looking into Blue Dreams, have found someone to source them from but at the moment not so sure of where I can house them too as I don't really have room for another tank, haha, great looking shrimp aren't they.

Hi Ish

I had a very bad problem with snail leeches when I first established my tanks, so I know how you feel. 

With blue shrimp, just be mindful that they can be hard to see on dark substrate. I have a few blue dreams in a pond outside as a result of finding them less visible than red. They are nice......just hard to see.

Matt 

• Like 1

Hello, I am Umm, which is a very original username, I know. 
I'm from the UK and I'm currently only running a 30 litre nano tank with a dennerle nano filter, duno what brand the heater is and the light is a stock light I really need to replace. 
Plants at the minute are just s.repens and some amazon sword that's gotten a little out of control. 
It's stocked at the minute with some guppy fry (they're about a week old and are very cute) and I'm not actually sure what kind of shrimp my shrimps are. 
They were sold to me as Aura Blue shrimp (they were tiny babies when I got them) and as they've gotten bigger they don't look like what Aura Blues look like. The shrimp in my avi is an adult one of mine.  
They're breeding like crazy though, I've got at least 5 saddled females right now. The weird thing is some of the offspring I've been getting are clear with red heads and red tails, although there's other species mixed into the tank. It's very interesting even though I'm very confused.
I've been feeding them on algae wafers, which they love, and they clean up all the fry food the baby gups miss. 

• Like 1

Hey Umm, do u have a photo or two of the shrimp, someone will be able to definitely let u know what shrimp u have.

Once those fry are large enough I’d take them out as they’ll mung on the shrimp eventually.

Keen to see what shrimp u have though.

Sent from my iPhone using Shrimp Keepers Forum

It’s not the forever home for the fry, they’re going back into my mums tank when they’re big enough to not get eaten :) 

most of the shrimp look like the blue lady in the first attached photo (I think I’ve attached them properly) but there is quite a few now that look like the second photoCB7EE204-2036-4C83-8D27-4C5F80A6DA72.jpeg.92bf69fe7bc24a40cb2b39b4d0bbdcc6.jpeg

AF6E7E21-6BD6-48A0-925B-8434957F474D.jpeg.ef656f93ea5d0649fd6c08942ef81855.jpeg

• Like 1

When you first mentioned the red with the clear I was thinking along the lines of Rilli shrimp but they usually have a red head and red tail with clear in the middle with possibly more red lines also scattered along the body over the clear section. But the one with just a red tail is very interesting. Sort of reminds me of a type of fairy shrimp you can get from Asia. - Stereptocephalus siamensis but they are entirely different to normal shrimp.