Would it be a bad idea?

Baccus

I have a small 20L tank with about 7 blue cherry shrimp a mix of rilli and blue dream, but the other day I found a really nice dark all blue cherry in my black cherry shrimp tank. I am sorely tempted to put this blue in with the other blues. Would this be such a bad idea?

I know because it came from a tank of blacks that its colour is not likely to be a stable blue but if it bred with the blues is it likely to produce blacks or throw more towards to dark blue spectrum? Would adding it make the current blues (some of which are quite pale) produce darker deeper blues?

I don't mind the rilli pattern in cherry shrimp but my favourite colour is the deep electric blue rather than the clear pale sky blue. I just don't wont to produce blues that are so dark that I have trouble distinguishing them from black cherry shrimp. My colour blindness already at times reeks havoc with telling certain close colours apart and add that to tank glass that is tinted or not the best light on the tank and at times it becomes an exercise verging on futile to sort shrimp.

1 hour ago, Baccus said:

is it likely to produce blacks or throw more towards to dark blue spectrum?

Both are possible. You won't be able to pick, so culling the undesired colour will be required. Black will be dominant however.

Edited by jayc