Clicky

Gavin_EuphonyG

Sump or No Sump system is better?

Gavin_EuphonyG

Hi Guys and Shrimperts!

Having owned 3, 5 & 10G tanks (All Neocaridina shrimps), I've taken the plunge and decided to build a shrimp rack and with new tanks.

Size of the tank is 2.5ft(W) x 1.5ft(L) x 1.5ft(H) and will be divided to 3 columns. The upper most tank will house my Cardina and the middle tank will be the Neo's and the lowest is either a sump or just going to leave the rack space with the chiller only (I am from Malaysia).

Basically in total, my plan is to have 6 divided tanks (3 each divided from the 2.5ft tank) and that is the max. amount of tanks, I may start a new rack next time should I decided to expand. 2 different local shrimp stores has given me separate suggestions for the shrimp tank water system and need your expertise and advice to see what's best. I am not restricted by their suggestion since I did told them that I want to have a simple water flow without having to drill holes to the tanks, but I don't mind getting my hands on plumbing and DIY Overflow stuff.

The drafts are below for your suggestions, I'm all ears.

Thank you in advance!

Tank 1 System.JPG

Tank 1.JPG

Tank 2 system.JPG

Tank 2.JPG

• Like 1

Cesar

@Gavin_EuphonyG impressive drawing, what did you use?

I have only ever used a sump, so my two cents, go with a sump, centralized but yet you can still build in controls for isolating tanks... I put in ball valves on each tank for water in and out... that way i could isolate if I needed to... might be over kill but... 

HTH

OzShrimp

One issue which you will face when using a sump is when you choose to have shrimp which have extensively different requirements in terms of water condition and what not. This causes you to have to have the section isolated permanently so that the shrimp does not become stressed.

It does have its benefits though as @Cesar said you can build in isolation options so if you are keeping shrimp which survive in the same water conditions it does have the benefit of less maintenance time in terms of water changes as you are not doing every tank individually.

I would opt for a sump system myself when i eventually have shrimp again just make sure its done right or restrict the types of shrimp you will be keeping.

Gavin_EuphonyG

Hi @Cesar @OzShrimp

Thank you guys for replying. I just used Powerpoint to design the draft 😀

Beforehand, I have already determine the shrimps I intended to keep, they do share the same parameters which was why I decided on this system. I'll listen to you guys and agree to choose and go the Sump way, perhaps doing some DIY Overflows to control, so will see.

Thanks again!  

Raf in CBR

Anyone point me in the direction of a handy 'how to' about sumps?

inverted

I like the setup the way you have it designed..... i personally run sumps on my racks but only so i can run chillers. The large water volume does help with stability, but your sections have dividers so it should be quite stable. I like the mini sump at the back with chilled water.... never seen it done before. Let us know if it works to cool all tanks 

Edited by inverted

Eric@Discobee

if you want to use a chiller get stainless steel pipes IN your tank.  This is pretty common in Asia.

I dont see how your design can be made in a way that the water flows enough the tanks after the first to get any benefit from this design. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Zoidburg
      By Zoidburg
      Short info...

I'm in USA
      I got these from a pet store
      They were being sold as something they clearly are not
      Larger than cherry shrimp, smaller than amanos (as in, at best, females get to the size of an adult male amano, but not female from what little I can see)
      *NOT* Neocaridina
      *LARVAL STAGE of 1+ weeks*

I've been told these are 4 different species (well, 6 or 7 if we count the ones I know aren't true) so I'm looking for some second opinions on what they might be... what I do know is that after a week or so, the larvae have not transformed into miniature adults. These are some of the more colorful shrimp, some have less colors but they all mainly share the dark "band" midway down their tail, except males which may appear very bland. (I'm not entirely sure it's only one species of shrimp...)

Female

Male

And a 5+ day old larvae/zoe (younger zoe don't show as much color - more clear)

And just to throw a curve ball in there... here's another shrimp that was mixed in with the type above! (clear shrimp, appears more yellow than he really is... this is also a relatively small shrimp, hardly any bigger than an adult cherry shrimp. He's the only one...)

• TheKeeper
      By TheKeeper
      So I currently have a 6 gallon planted tank that has been set up and running for 3 weeks. Im about to purchase my red cherry shrimp to put in this tank. There is plenty of algae in the tank for them to eat, so food should be fine for the beginning correct? Plus it is heavily planted meaning there is plenty of organic matter to be consumed at all times, so they shouldn't really need to be fed ever? Also i see that drip acclimation is best for getting them used to there new home. If i did this till the tank is half empty for provided them with as close conditions as possible without emptying the tank. Am i good to just refill the tank afterward or from now on when i do water changes do they all need to be dripped in? Also is it true that adding calcium to the tank is beneficial for the shrimp to molt?
      Im a pretty experienced fish keeper, just haven't ever had with shrimp so I dont want to kill all these expensive shrimps due to lack on knowledge. Any more knowledge or advice that can be given to me is high encouraged, even if it seems simple. 
      Some specs of the tank, tanks does have a filter, that has small openings that could suck up baby shrimp. Its a small filter and has algae growth on the openings so it really does reduce the flow a bit, where i dont see it becoming a  huge issue. The tank is co2 injected, but thats pretty nailed down so nuking them with co2 is highly unlikely. The tank has a soil bottom capped with coarse sand. The vast majority of the bottom of the tank is carpeted with plants but they still have a way to go. There is no lid on the top of the tank. The tank does have some natural river stones in it with the brown algae growth on them. And a lot of the plants have the white "bugger" algae growing on them or around them. The tank receives about 10 hours of light a day. I know i put a lot of un-important information here, but maybe a pro will see a problem here and be able to inform me so I can correct it. Thanks for your time and consideration in advance!!!!
      Regards
      -The Keeper
    • TheKeeper
      By TheKeeper
      Ive done alot of research but let me explain my set up for you. I have a 6 gal tank that is approx 12 inch tall. It is a fertilized and currently has a DIY co2 on it, i did this by taking a 2 liter bottle and adding sugar and yeast, it is connected to a special co2 bubble (whatever they are called). The tank also has high lighting and is completely planted carpeted and bigger plants. Im about to be adding in my cherry shrimp and know that gassing them with co2 is possible at night. And im wanting to avoid this of course. Yet i dont want to spend alot of money upgrading my co2 system. The co2 bubblier is only 8-9 inchs from the water line. The majority of the bubbles reach the surface meaning not all the co2 is dissolving or there are other gasses present. Im wondering if I can get away with this co2 delivery system. Or what simple upgrades could be made so that it doesn't run at night? from what i understand it would be at night i would gas the shrimp? Also I do a 50% water change 1 if not 2 times a week. 

Options ive thought of-
      1. Instead of a 2 liter bottle maybe like a 12 oz bottle, scale back the yeast and sugar so there is less co2 being produced
      2. Releasing the pressure in the DIY bubblier before bed. so it would take maybe 4-6 hour for the pressure to build up again and start bubbling 
      3. Upgrading system (Dont want to do this really, but i though of it)
    • SquaniceandSquilliam
      By SquaniceandSquilliam
      Hi I'm an animal enthusiast with many frogs snakes and arachnids but it's my first attempt at caring for cherry shrimp..i researched with my girlfriend quite a bit and already set up a planted tank in a nano 2.6gallon aquarium. It will be cycling and until then I just wanted some feedback on how it looks and what y'all think about it? Thankyou ~ 

• Dooliga
      By Dooliga
      Hi,

I am trying to prepare my aquarium for shrimp -- in particular Riffle Shrimp.

After reading that these are escape experts I was momentarily put off the idea because I was aware of definite escape routes that they could easily crawl along and out through. But I'd quickly pushed that reluctance aside to focus on a solution. There has to be one. SKF forum members surely have one.

Escape routes in my set up are: specifically the filter inlet and outlet, along with light attachment clips and wave-maker power cord.

I first thought of perspex cut to fit, but that would be near impossible to fit perfectly and I suspect they only need 2-3 mm to squeeze through? I figured something that was flexible/moldable would be more suitable. I was thinking maybe some fine stainless wire mesh  that's used for moss attachment? But that's probably a bit expensive for the size of the pieces i'd need? Or flywire? Or perhaps some security door screen, but i'd be worried about paint leeching into the water as that stuff may likely rust with time? 

Anyone have any ideas? I couldn't find a thread/topic when I searched of 'shrimp escaping'. I'm pretty sure someone here has a simple solution. What do you do to stop your shrimp escaping?

D

Apologies to Admin: I originally thought to add this to my thread on Riffles as I thought it was appropriate under the topic of planning a tank set up for them, but I was unable to add a further photo to illustrate what I'm trying to find a solution for (I'd reached the image upload limit). I figure this topic fits under 'Shrimp Health & Care'. Please move or delete or edit as you see fit. Thank you.

• Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

Join Our Community!

• sdlTBfan
      Very ingenious and a lot cheaper than buying something made specifically for the purpose. I haven't seen anything like this in the UK, we never get the range/variety that large countries like US and Australia get. It is good to give people all the alternatives and then they can decide what they want and what is available to them. I'm sure there will be lots of people interested in your water container. Is it easy to fill or do you use a funnel? Or have you cut a hole in the side/top (the black patch in the photo)? How big is it in water capacity?
    • Proy21
      It was a normal red cherry. It was as they all were, a standard red color. No dark pigmentation in the bunch. Color definitely changed after death. All other shrimp are healthy, eating and moving around. water parameters were tested twice yesterday and twice today, i’ll probably do a third before the night is over. All parameters are perfect, tested with drops and tubes. Gh &Kh are acceptable. TDS is 240ish and hasn’t  moved in a long while. tell me about the bacteria that you reference. thanks
    • jayc
      There is nothing more satisfying than DIY, and building your own water change dripper. I use an old 4L spring water bottle that has one of those spouts that have a tap on it. Cut a hole on the top to make adding water into the bottle easier. (as per the picture below). And just turn the tap on ever so slightly until a required drip rate is achieved. Cost: $4 for the water bottle, which was used at a picnic.   
    • jayc
      Was this a Red cherry or Black cherry? Pigmentation can change colour on death of the shrimp. It's difficult to tell from a photo if its pigmentation change or bacterial infection.   To be safe, test your water parameters for ammonia. A large change in population can cause issues in a small tank, especially when the beneficial bacteria cannot cope with the sudden increase in waste.
    • Proy21
      Good morning, I received my order of 20 shrimp from a very well known breeder. All looked good. all water parameters were ok yesterday and are the same today. the tank has been up and running for 6 months. i had one cherry in there for almost the whole time. (Had more but I believe the black diamond sand created issues for the first 20 I bought) somehow this single shrimp has been a trooper and never had any issues, I obviously removed the sand) TDS is 245 i had one shrimp die overnight...to be expected I guess. Weird part is that when I found it this morning it had areas of black or dark blue on the sides of both head and tail.  I added in the tiniest amount of Bacter AE after they arrived. I also offered 2 granules of north Fin community and veggie. Which was gone a few hours later. so I’m wondering if anyone has any ideas? All the other shrimp look ok so far.