What is this guy?

Baccus

I recently got some juvi Blue Dream Cherry shrimp and while shrimp gazing I noticed this guy in with them. The tank was an old empty tank I had sitting around the shed, the rocks I put in had been out of water for months, the filter even came out of storage, and the bit of sand I put in the tank came from an entirely shrimp free tank. Even the water I used came from a tub of aged water I had and all water put into the tank was poured through an ultra fine net that no shrimp can get through. The plants came from a tub a plants I had sitting around and had been thoroughly checked for any possible shrimp, and even if a shrimp had hitch hiked it would have been a native either Chameleon or Blackmore River shrimp. The Blue Dreams came from a person keeping many species/ colours of shrimp and I am wondering if by chance it could be a tiger or tangerine tiger that hitched a ride with the blues.

So here are the photos I managed to get, its still a tiny shrimp but what I can see is that it seems to have little or no rostrum.

Please help me work out what this guy might be.

PS. My other shrimp stocks are Red Cherry, Black and Chocolate Cherry, Chameleon Shrimp, DAS, Red Nose Shrimp, Blackmore River Shrimp, Riffle and Blue Cherry.

P1170403.JPG

P1170409.JPG

I would guess Blackmore. 

Definitely wrong shape for tigers. 

So easy to miss shrimp among plants no matter how well you check.

You might be right but if it is a Blackmore River Shrimp it has been living in a 20L tank jammed pack with java fern that almost went dry a couple of weeks ago, with no supplementary food, no light and no filteration. Even when I did refill the tank of water I just used straight tap water because I was 99% certain that there should not have been anyone living in the tank aside from maybe bloodworms. Also when I took the tiny pinch of java moss from the tank to put in the blue dream tank, the shrimp would have had to have had nerves of steel to hang on for the distance moved across the shed.

I will keep an eye out on the little mystery shrimp, he's still a lot smaller than the juvi blue dreams and being so small and nearly see through blends in with its surrounds incredibly well. The first time I spotted it I had to do a double take because I only saw some slight movement on a piece of food that had a blue dream nearby but no way possible for the blue dream to be moving the food the way it was moving.

That little guy deserves to live a long life of luxury now,  after going through all that. 

He certainly will have a live of luxury once I can correctly identify it. If it turns out to be a native it will go back with my other natives. If its another type of neo it will go into a tank with no neos in it, and if its a non native caridina of some sort will go in with either my black, red or stay with the blue cherry's.

The seller just contacted me and he discovered a tiger juvi in his red pinto tank, and suspects it hitch hiked on plants. He had been away and found a berried tangerine tiger in with the red pintos. So I am still thinking I may have a hitch hiker from the seller.

• 2 weeks later...

Still not the best picture, he's still a small shrimp but growing. The light on the tank last night was washing its colour out somewhat, but when they finally settle in a near perfect spot for photos you have to run with it.

In the photo there is faint white spots or speckling and also white bands on the legs. To my mind the nose/ rostrum area does not seem cherry shrimpfish.

Mystery_1.JPG

mystery_2.JPG Forgot to add I also spied white tips on the tail, but cant see them in the photos I took.

Edited by Baccus
Forgot to mention tail spots

Now I am leaning towards a wild type cherry.....but still not certain. Since I have now seen my first berried blue cherry I had better get this guy out sooner than later if it is a wild type cherry.

Mystery5.JPG

mystery6.JPG

• 1 month later...

Still not certain of just what this guy is but I am  leaning more towards wild type cherry with blue gene.

P1180427.JPG

P1180435.JPG

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• Must Read SKF Articles

• beanbag
      Update to say that after a few gravel vacs, front wall scrub, moss / floating plant trim, that the condition seems to have improved.  My current theory is that it is due to waste / debris management, where "stuff" like that brown mulm accumulates in the substrate and behind the HMF filters.  Maybe some tanks can somehow deal with it, but mine can't.  Also another experienced shrimper suggested that maybe those "shell bugs" don't just live on the shrimps but also in this debris.  Maybe this is the reason some tanks fail due to "old tank syndrome" where all they need is a good gravel vac? Also, I am guessing that plant trim helps too because now more of the nutrients and light go into growing algae instead of more plants? Well anyway for this tank I will try weekly water change and monthly gravel vac / plant trim.  For my next tank, I'm thinking of something like an under-gravel system where this mulm can fall down and I vac it out.
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Good to have an update and good to hear you are getting shrimplets, so hopefully your colony will continue and you may not get to the point where you have to cull some to stop over population. These type of shrimp only live 12 - 18 months so the adult deaths may be natural? If you have the time I would do weekly 25% water changes, adding the new water via a drip system and do some vacuuming clean of the substrate each week, even if only a different bit each week! See if that helps in a few months and if it does then stick with that regime? It should help reduce any build-ups that may be occuring!
    • beanbag
      Hello again, much belated update: The tank still has "cycles" of 1-2 month "good streaks" where everybody seems to be doing well, and then a bad streak where the short antenna problem shows up again, and a shrimp dies once every few days.  I am not sure what causes things to go bad, but usually over the course of a few days I will start to see more shrimp quietly standing on the HMF filter, and so I know something is wrong.  Since I am not "doing anything" besides the regular 1-2 week water changes, I just assume that something bad is building up.  Here's a list of things that I've tried that are supposed to be "can't hurt" but didn't prevent the problem either: Dose every other day with Shrimp Fit (very small dose, and the shrimp seem to like it) Sotching Oxydator Seachem Purigen to keep the nitrates lower Keeping the pH below 5.5 with peat Things that I don't do often, so could possibly "reset" the tank back to a good streak, are gravel vac and plant trim, so maybe time to try those again. One other problem I used to have was that sometimes a shrimp would suddenly stop eating with a full or partially full digestive tract that doesn't clear out, and then the shrimp will die within a few days.  I suspected it was one of the foods in my rotation - Shrimp Nature Infection, which contains a bunch of herbal plant things.  I've had this in my food rotation for a few years now and generally didn't seem to cause problems, but I removed it from the rotation anyway.  I don't have a lot of adult Golden Bees at this point so I can't really tell if it worked or not. Overall the tank is not too bad - during the good streaks occasionally a shrimp will get berried and hatch babies with a 33-50% survival rate.  So while there are fewer adults now, there are also a bunch of babies roaming around.  I guess this tank will stagger on, but I really do need to take the time to start up a new tank.  (or figure out the problem)
    • jayc
      If that is the offspring, then the parents are unlikely to be PRL. I tend to agree with you. There are very few PRLs in Australia. And any that claim to be needs to show proof. PRL genes have to start as PRL. CRS that breed true after x generations doesn't turn it into a PRL. Neither can a Taiwan bee shrimp turn into a PRL despite how ever many generations. I've never seen a PRL with that sort of red colour. I have on Red Wines and Red Shadows - Taiwan bee shrimps. So somewhere down the line one of your shrimp might have been mixed with Taiwan bees and is no longer PRL. It just tanks one shrimp to mess up the genes of a whole colony. 
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Sorry, missed this one somehow! The PRL look fantastic and the odd ones look part PRL and part Red wine/Red shadow in the colour. They are still very beautiful but ideally should be seperated to help keep the PRL clean if you can do that.  Nice clear photos!