Clicky

Sign in to follow this  
WhySoCRS

WhySoCRS Journal

WhySoCRS
15 minutes ago, WhySoCRS said:

OK ladies and gents, stupid question, with the feeding bowls for shrimp, who has them? Do you just sit them on the substrate or push them into it so it's more a level with the substrate kind of thing?

Also order some Azoo Breed and Growth earlier as well, anyone used this?

jayc
17 hours ago, WhySoCRS said:

with the feeding bowls for shrimp, who has them? Do you just sit them on the substrate or push them into it so it's more a level with the substrate kind of this?

I use them. And I have tried both ways. The problem is ... no one told the shrimp that they have to eat within the bowl. Shrimps like hoarding food and WILL drag food out of the bowl. However, it is better than not having a bowl where food will just fall between the substrate. 

Pushing the bowl into the substrate increases the chance of the substrate falling in. It is more stealth looking but if you have OCD (like me) about keeping substrate out of the bowl then this method is not for you.😁

• Like 2

WhySoCRS

Have you used the Azoo range of foods @jayc? Be interesting to see how the shrimp take to them, currently loving the Shrimp Crack and Kale Tabs.

jayc
17 hours ago, WhySoCRS said:

Have you used the Azoo range of foods

No, that is one of many food brands I have not tried on my shrimp.

I have been making my own recently.

WhySoCRS

Just an update on the tank.

Things seem to be going well, added an Ista Cree LED & feeding tube this morning.

Tank I know is looking quite bare, mainly focusing on getting all parameters right for the time being.

Looking into a reverse osmosis unit.

Have found 1 more juvi, so that’s 5 now.

Think I’ll add a little more pieces of Amazon Frog bit to the surface to block a little light out & help with water params.

Just waiting on the range of Azoo foods now, Max Growth & Max Breed.

14bd6448f912dbbad459dda82bcfc78b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Shrimp Keepers Forum

WhySoCRS

Just an update...

Received the Reverse Osmosis Unit I ordered yesterday, set it up this morning & got it up & running straight away.

Fill an 88 litre tub after a few hours & after taking majority of the tank water out I replaced it with the RO water.

Salty Shrimp gH+ added, added 2.5 spoons, let it all settle for half an hour & then acclimated the shrimp back into the tank.

Straight away the behaviour is a lot different, more active then usual, shock perhaps? Hoping not, but no sudden unexpected movements or jerking & jumping so I think all is well.

Tested the tank parameters using API test kits & the readings are as follows:

pH 6.4
kH 1
gH 2
TDS 121
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Temp 22c

I haven’t added any mineral powder, should I? Also haven’t put the mineral balls back in either, should I keep them out?

Dropped a small piece of Azoo Growth for the shrimp to feed on but don’t seem interested at all.

When running the RO Unit I was interested to test the water parameters that came out.

TDS from the unit was 003, the water from the waste was 323!!! Clearly doing it’s job.

Also would like to thank Ineke, JayC for information regarding the RO Unit & other bits & pieces.

Hopefully now the tank will stay a stable & healthy environment for the shrimp & will have a nice little colony in no time to sit back & enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Shrimp Keepers Forum

Edited by WhySoCRS

WhySoCRS

Well things aren't really going my way with tanks as per usual.

Have decided to just put everything in the tank, plants and driftwood are back in there, filter is running with the same media as before, light period is 6 hours each day on an auto timer, so far all I've done is the put substrate in, again benibachi, add 3 spoons of Salty Shrimp gH+ (70l tank), now I guess just see what happens... surely this isn't meant to be this difficult... it's seriously giving me a headache.

So just let it go I guess, test parameters on the weekend perhaps.

Also have a bag of ADA Amazonia on it's way, just in case this doesn't work out...

Or, could use it to try some Cherry Shrimp maybe, who knows, that probably won't work out either.

jayc

Your tank is back in a cycle. Don't be tempted to rush things and make wide scale changes.