Dooliga

How do you stop your shrimp from escaping?

Dooliga

Hi,

I am trying to prepare my aquarium for shrimp -- in particular Riffle Shrimp.

After reading that these are escape experts I was momentarily put off the idea because I was aware of definite escape routes that they could easily crawl along and out through. But I'd quickly pushed that reluctance aside to focus on a solution. There has to be one. SKF forum members surely have one.

Escape routes in my set up are: specifically the filter inlet and outlet, along with light attachment clips and wave-maker power cord.

I first thought of perspex cut to fit, but that would be near impossible to fit perfectly and I suspect they only need 2-3 mm to squeeze through? I figured something that was flexible/moldable would be more suitable. I was thinking maybe some fine stainless wire mesh  that's used for moss attachment? But that's probably a bit expensive for the size of the pieces i'd need? Or flywire? Or perhaps some security door screen, but i'd be worried about paint leeching into the water as that stuff may likely rust with time? 

Anyone have any ideas? I couldn't find a thread/topic when I searched of 'shrimp escaping'. I'm pretty sure someone here has a simple solution. What do you do to stop your shrimp escaping?

D

Apologies to Admin: I originally thought to add this to my thread on Riffles as I thought it was appropriate under the topic of planning a tank set up for them, but I was unable to add a further photo to illustrate what I'm trying to find a solution for (I'd reached the image upload limit). I figure this topic fits under 'Shrimp Health & Care'. Please move or delete or edit as you see fit. Thank you.

jayc

@Dooliga,

Make sure you leave sufficient space between the water surface and top of the tank.

I use a triangular plastic piece cut out of clear Binding Covers A4 sheets. It's placed in the corners where the filter hoses are. https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/cumberland-binding-covers-a4-clear-100-pack-cuombsa4

We have these at work 😉 

Cost = $0

Riffles generally climb out at the corners if there is a cable or pipe there.

A picture,  speaks a 1000 words. So I'll try taking one tonight when I get home from work.

But here is a drawing to start with. 

Untitled.jpg.ac3ae2a78c93e368a120099a089fd006.jpg

It's just a triangular plastic piece. Cut along the dotted line's to create a circular hole in the middle for the filter pipe. Slide this over are each corner where there are cables or hoses coming out.

Edited by jayc

Dooliga

Thank you Jayc, 

What you are describing makes a lot of sense, is cheap and I can envisage that it's effective.  But, if you have time may I see a pic please?

Cheers,

D

jayc
2 hours ago, Dooliga said:

if you have time may I see a pic please?

Thanks for the reminder. Wasn't even sure you saw my post above.

2 hours ago, Dooliga said:

makes a lot of sense, is cheap

Hey! that's me to the letter.

jayc

This is what I use on one corner...

20180208_083024.thumb.jpg.f55561bdb4d71d5dc12be457582e4017.jpg20180208_083115.thumb.jpg.495b0afc99d7bf74f084fbee9171328c.jpg

The following was the prototype, which  I still use because it is easier to remove and replace, thanks to the larger channel cutout. I use it occasionally when I need to remove the pipes often, say like during cleaning time. You see the final product above was much more refine than the prototype.

20180208_083327.thumb.jpg.5347fd2d0889e192c943a45dff03c19e.jpg

• Like 2

Dooliga

Thanks jayc, 

Pretty sure i can come up with something that will work in my set up. 

1 hour ago, jayc said:

Wasn't even sure you saw my post above.

I hadn't replied as I was processing your response to my overall plan for the tank's set up. I've been checking the forum multiple times a day since I made that first post and reading more (enjoying it, very inspiring). Sorry I didn't reply sooner.

I hope the above helps some others too. Find it interesting that other's haven't chimed in with what they do.

Cheers,

• Like 1

jayc
7 hours ago, Dooliga said:

Pretty sure i can come up with something that will work in my set up. 

If you improve on it, let us know.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• SquaniceandSquilliam
      By SquaniceandSquilliam
      Hi I'm an animal enthusiast with many frogs snakes and arachnids but it's my first attempt at caring for cherry shrimp..i researched with my girlfriend quite a bit and already set up a planted tank in a nano 2.6gallon aquarium. It will be cycling and until then I just wanted some feedback on how it looks and what y'all think about it? Thankyou ~ 

• jc12
      By jc12
      I have been a long time lurker on this forum and have learnt a lot from past and present members who have contributed to this forum. Thank you.
      This is my first 'real' post and I hope this would help anyone who might be considering building a rack themselves. As requested by @Disciple, hope this helps you too.
      Just a bit of background on my experience. My only previous build attempt was for a stand and sump for a 4x2x2. It was my first build dabbling with staining wood and using silicon for sump baffles, etc. As you can see from the photos below, they are pretty amateurish but I am happy for how it turned out as a first attempt. Next step is to fit some doors to it.
      The stand was built following this video by King of DIY. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN4Y9AYuwcQ
      Anyway, this gives you an idea of the level of experience I have before I embark on my ambitious attempt to build a rack.
      Below are some photos of my 4x2x2, sump and stand build, and some of its inhabitants. Sorry they are not shrimp related and not of great quality taken using my phone.

Stand and sump

Filled up and planted.

Display tank front view.

Display tank side view.

With background in place and tank inhabitants added consisting of altum flora discus, german blue rams, panda corydoras, cardinal tetras, otocinclus, red cherry shrimps, darwin algae shrimps and darwin red nose shrimps.

Altum flora discus.

Panda corydoras.

German blue rams with their fry.

I have browsed many build threads including some from here and have built on my ideas collectively from different sources. The specific post from @BlueBolts here: http://shrimpkeepersforum.com/forum/topic/1415-breeding-rack-no2/ has inspired me greatly and I would like to acknowledge that.
      I followed the DIY rack build as outlined here: http://shrimpkeepersforum.com/forum/topic/7063-diy-rack-for-under-50-in-under-2hrs/

The plan, materials, and costs
      This rack will be located in the lounge room so it has to be 'display-ish' quality and light from it must not interfere with the TV or be too blinding to people sitting around the lounge room. Also, no unsightly hoses/pipes are to be seen. I managed to convince the Minister for Home Affairs that a canister filter and chiller by definition, is not categorised as hoses or pipes, and would be in no way unsightly. The LED display from the chiller would provide subtle mood lighting, and the gentle humming of the filter and soft soothe whirling of the chiller fan would be therapeutic for lounge surfers, and would also greatly enhance movie watching experience with enriched sound depth and effects.
      Hence I received approval to have a canister filter and chiller located next to the rack.
      I used 5 x 5.4m long 90x45mm MGP10 untreated structural pine bought and cut to size from Masters for $83.75. I find Masters generally sells timber cheaper than Bunnings. Since I have both of them close to where I live, I selectively buy what I need from where it is cheaper.
      The frame is held together by 10-8 x 75mm zinc plated countersunk screws. I bought a box of 250 screws from Bunnings for $27.50.
      The rack measures 1390 x 420 x 2200 mm (L x W x H). The plan is to hold 2 x 2'x15"x15" tanks on the top and middle tier each, and a 4'x15"x15" hospital/quarantine/grow out/sump tank on the bottom tier.
      Each tank would be insulated by 20mm foam around the sides, back and base as I plan to run both tropical (28-30 degrees C) and chilled (22-24 degrees C) tanks on this rack. Plumbing for air and sump would be hidden within the frame.

Please disregard the mess in the background. Still sorting out stuff in the garage after the move.
      From this:

To this:

• fishmosy
      By fishmosy
      By Fishmosy (Dr. Benjamin Mos) and Northboy
      Habitat and Water Conditions
      Riffles are so named because they are found in riffles, shallow fast flowing sections of creeks. They occur in easterly flowing creeks from Northern Queensland down to Victoria, Australia. Two famous collecting areas are the Atherton Tablelands in QLD and Never Never Creek, near Bellingen NSW.
      Riffles can grow to over 6cm, reports of 8cm is not uncommon. However, these shrimp change sex at around 3.5-4cm from males to females. If you want to breed these shrimp, ensure you have both size ranges.
      Breeding
      Breeding riffles is fairly easy. The entire lifecycle is carried out in freshwater. BBS or brine shrimp nauplii are a great conditioning food for adults. Eggs are carried by the female and hatch out as miniature adults. Shrimplets take the same food as adults, including brine shrimp nauplii and flake food, as well as grazing on algae/biofilm.
      Food
      One of the greatest attributes of these shrimp is watching them use their filter feeding feet to catch food items wafting in the current. They may even learn 'feeding time' and take up positions in the tank to grab food drifting by. Riffles also become less timid over time, and are often seen out and about in the aquarium.
      Adults are also reported to feed on BBA and cyanobacteria (BGA).
      General Notes
      Riffles are adaptable to most aquarium conditions as long as extremes are avoided, but require highly oxygenated water, temperatures not exceeding 27 degrees C for long periods of time and are sensitive to phosphates and CO2. Stressed riffles will change colour to bright red or dark blue. However, their natural colouration is highly variable, greens to blues, black and white, and stripes, so colour changes aren't always indicative of problems. Riffles also seem to like hanging out on timber.
      Warning: These shrimp can and do climb, so keep tight-fitting lids on your tanks.
      You can keep riffles with fish as long as they can't fit in the fishes mouths, although the fish may hassle the shrimp. However, riffles can turn the tables and eat small fry.
      Further Information
      Riffle Shrimp from the Atherton Tablelands by Bob Kroll in AquariumKeeper Australia Vol 1, Iss 2 (Out of print)

Below is some water parameters from a creek where riffles are found on the Mid North Coast of NSW, Australia, near Coffs Harbour.
      Time of year: Late Spring (Nov, 2012).
      Water parameters were as follows:
      Temp - 22.5*C
      Ammonia - undetectable
      Nitrite - undetectable
      Nitrate Undetectable
      pH 6.8-7.0
      Hardness - KH below 10mg/L, - GH 20-40mg/L
      Ca - less than 20mg/L
      PO4 - undetectable
      Other than temperature, these parameters were measured using a Hagen Nutrafin Master test kit.
      Here are some pictures from the area.
      This is a typical area where riffles can be found, if you are looking in the shallow pool at the bottom of the picture, you won't find them. Look for the riffles like mid photo (enlarged in the second pic), no matter how shallow it may appear, riffles should be there.

Male and female riffles often congregate in different areas. Here is an area where I found only females. Notice the width of the riffle and the presence of lots of habitat structure (rocks).

Here is a place that was dominated by males. Notice that there are very few points to access upstream areas. The males were quite dense directly beneath the overflows of the concrete river crossing. Up to 6 riffles under each rock was not uncommon. My theory is that males congregate at these 'choke points' to access females (for breeding) which travel through to access upstream areas. This point was 50m or so downstream of the female habitat. Alternatively females may seek out these areas at moulting time (I have found recently moulted females in these areas).
      Another interesting point as to why riffles might not occur in shallow pools was because of the amount of eels in this creek. There was literally one per pool. The large pool above the creek crossing contained one that must have close to 1metre in length.

Finally another interesting factor I've found in finding riffles is that they seem to prefer the darker rocks (possibly granite, but I'm no geologist) indicated in this picture by blue dots, avoiding the lighter coloured rocks (red dots). In areas where this light coloured rock dominate, I have found no riffles at all, even if it seems like optimal habitat. Maybe it is a camoflague preference?

Hope you have found this interesting and informative. Best of luck with keeping your riffles.
    • fishmosy
      By fishmosy
      By Fishmosy (Dr. Benjamin Mos) and Northboy
      Habitat and Water Conditions
      Riffles are so named because they are found in riffles, shallow fast flowing sections of creeks. They occur in easterly flowing creeks from Northern Queensland down to Victoria, Australia. Two famous collecting areas are the Atherton Tablelands in QLD and Never Never Creek, near Bellingen NSW.
      Riffles can grow to over 6cm, reports of 8cm is not uncommon. However, these shrimp change sex at around 3.5-4cm from males to females. If you want to breed these shrimp, ensure you have both size ranges.
      Breeding
      Breeding riffles is fairly easy. The entire lifecycle is carried out in freshwater. BBS or brine shrimp nauplii are a great conditioning food for adults. Eggs are carried by the female and hatch out as miniature adults. Shrimplets take the same food as adults, including brine shrimp nauplii and flake food, as well as grazing on algae/biofilm.
      Food
      One of the greatest attributes of these shrimp is watching them use their filter feeding feet to catch food items wafting in the current. They may even learn 'feeding time' and take up positions in the tank to grab food drifting by. Riffles also become less timid over time, and are often seen out and about in the aquarium.
      Adults are also reported to feed on BBA and cyanobacteria (BGA).
      General Notes
      Riffles are adaptable to most aquarium conditions as long as extremes are avoided, but require highly oxygenated water, temperatures not exceeding 27 degrees C for long periods of time and are sensitive to phosphates and CO2. Stressed riffles will change colour to bright red or dark blue. However, their natural colouration is highly variable, greens to blues, black and white, and stripes, so colour changes aren't always indicative of problems. Riffles also seem to like hanging out on timber.
      Warning: These shrimp can and do climb, so keep tight-fitting lids on your tanks.
      You can keep riffles with fish as long as they can't fit in the fishes mouths, although the fish may hassle the shrimp. However, riffles can turn the tables and eat small fry.
      Further Information
      Riffle Shrimp from the Atherton Tablelands by Bob Kroll in AquariumKeeper Australia Vol 1, Iss 2 (Out of print)

Below is some water parameters from a creek where riffles are found on the Mid North Coast of NSW, Australia, near Coffs Harbour.
      Time of year: Late Spring (Nov, 2012).
      Water parameters were as follows:
      Temp - 22.5*C
      Ammonia - undetectable
      Nitrite - undetectable
      Nitrate Undetectable
      pH 6.8-7.0
      Hardness - KH below 10mg/L, - GH 20-40mg/L
      Ca - less than 20mg/L
      PO4 - undetectable
      Other than temperature, these parameters were measured using a Hagen Nutrafin Master test kit.
      Here are some pictures from the area.
      This is a typical area where riffles can be found, if you are looking in the shallow pool at the bottom of the picture, you won't find them. Look for the riffles like mid photo (enlarged in the second pic), no matter how shallow it may appear, riffles should be there.

Male and female riffles often congregate in different areas. Here is an area where I found only females. Notice the width of the riffle and the presence of lots of habitat structure (rocks).

Here is a place that was dominated by males. Notice that there are very few points to access upstream areas. The males were quite dense directly beneath the overflows of the concrete river crossing. Up to 6 riffles under each rock was not uncommon. My theory is that males congregate at these 'choke points' to access females (for breeding) which travel through to access upstream areas. This point was 50m or so downstream of the female habitat. Alternatively females may seek out these areas at moulting time (I have found recently moulted females in these areas).
      Another interesting point as to why riffles might not occur in shallow pools was because of the amount of eels in this creek. There was literally one per pool. The large pool above the creek crossing contained one that must have close to 1metre in length.

Finally another interesting factor I've found in finding riffles is that they seem to prefer the darker rocks (possibly granite, but I'm no geologist) indicated in this picture by blue dots, avoiding the lighter coloured rocks (red dots). In areas where this light coloured rock dominate, I have found no riffles at all, even if it seems like optimal habitat. Maybe it is a camoflague preference?

Hope you have found this interesting and informative. Best of luck with keeping your riffles.

View full article
    • Arkaedus
      By Arkaedus
      Hi I am new with caridinas and I want to make a shrimp rack to keep them.

It would have four shelves and in each one of them would fit an aquarium of 82.5x29.5x15'5 and I want to divide it into two or three or four partitions that water communicate between them somehow but I do not know how to do it. Some suggestions to make the dives so that water is shared among all and that the young can not pass from one to another.

I added an image where you can see how the possible divisions would be interesting to divide it into four partitions but every division is very small and I want them to be communicated to compensate that they are small aquariums and achieve a greater stability of water parameters altogether all of them.
      Sorry for my English I tried to do my best because I am from Spain and I am not English speaking.

Greetings and thanks.