Shrimp in Planted Tanks

Jay_Walker

Hi gang, I was curious if there were any plants to specifically avoid in a planted tank, and if there was such a thing as having too many plants in the tank. I have started a nice little cube that holds 8-10 gallons. I currently have 2 banana plants, 3 moss balls, an Amazon sword, and a lily bulb. I also have a nice little mat of floating duckweed that my shrimpies love clinging upside down to. All of the plants are obviously smaller specimens, what with it being a smaller tank. I also have a dozen yellow neos in there, and I keep losing 1 every 4 or 5 days. My instinct was that water quality was an issue, but I'm diligent about it. Nitrites, and ammonia are 0. Nitrates are minimal, pH is 6.6. Water temp is a consistent 74. I do at least one 50% water change/week if not 2, and it is always with R/O water heated to temp. Any ideas? The struggle is real ?

20 hours ago, Jay_Walker said:

were any plants to specifically avoid in a planted tank, and if there was such a thing as having too many plants in the tank

The only plant I can think of to avoid is Utricularia (Or commonly known as Bladderwort). This plant could kill baby shrimps.

And no, you can't have too many plants from a health point of view. However, having too many plants will hinder your view of the shrimps.

20 hours ago, Jay_Walker said:

I do at least one 50% water change/week if not 2, and it is always with R/O water

Do you remineralise the RO water?

Pure RO water has all the minerals stripped out of it and is too "pure" for living organisms. You need to remineralise it with Calcium Sulphate and Magnesium sulphate. See the Water Parameters section for more details.

Yeah, unfortunately we have a water softener, or else I would supplement the RO with some dechlorinated tap water. My understanding is that you never want to use water from a water softener. I do add trace element solution to the RO to supplement the lack of minerals. Should I just focus more on the calcium and magnesium sulfate specifically? 

4 hours ago, Jay_Walker said:

My understanding is that you never want to use water from a water softener.

Correct. Water softeners remove Calcium and Magnesium by replacing it with sodium.  Too much sodium is not good for aquariums.

I do add trace element solution to the RO to supplement the lack of minerals.

Trace elements are optional, and only a very small amount is required. So if you already have some, this can be added. If not, leave it out.

Should I just focus more on the calcium and magnesium sulfate specifically?

Yes!

The RO filter has removed most minerals, metals, dissolved solids, fertilizers, pesticides, fluoride, chlorine, etc - all the stuff that is added to our tapwater, for better or worse.

The primary focus is on re-adding the correct amount of Calcium and Magnesium back into the RO water for your aquarium inhabitants., without all the other unwanted chemicals and minerals. 

Read the pinned threads in Water Parameter. https://skfaquatics.com/forum/forum/93-water-parameters/

You can buy premixed remineralising products like Salty Shrimp GH+ products, Glasgarten Liquid Mineral GH+, Mosura Mineral Plus Ultra, ....

Or you can DIY it  if you feel like saving some money - I have a thread on it in Water Parameters too.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the great info, Jayc! I bit the bullet and purchased some Salty Shrimp. I'm looking forward to comparing some results on my next water change, and hopefully expanding my neo colony. My Rilis seem to be the hardiest of the bunch, the yellows the most susceptible to mortality. 

On 27/01/2018 at 8:06 AM, Jay_Walker said:

Thanks for the great info, Jayc!

You're welcome JW.

Now ... do you have a TDS meter? It's probably the next most important purchase to measure your TDS levels and maintain the correct TDS for your shrimp.

They are fairly cheap and can be bought off ebay or Amazon.

I did indeed, purchased it at the same time as the Salty Shrimp ? It's a gradual learning curve, but I'm rounding the bend! Thanks again for all your help. I wish I could post some pictures but all of the ones I take are too big for the attachment limit ?