A small Field Trip planned

Baccus

One of my colleges at work (who knows I am pretty interested in well pretty much all things nature) mentioned the other day that he was very surprised to see Triops in a drainage/ storm water drain not terribly far out of town. I too was surprised by this tid bit of information since as far as I was aware most triops and fairy shrimp are further west of me out towards Longreach and the like. Since we have fairly recently had rain I am hoping to go to the place he mentioned and see if I can locate any triops, or my other real desire fairy shrimp.

If I can snag some triops I have an old bath tub that I used to use as a pond that is nice and manky full of rotting vegetation, some left over tank weeds and generally nicely aged with lots of micro organisms in residence. Which I am sure would make a good home for Triops since they can't be trusted with other shrimp (or even themselves) thanks to their voracious appetites.

If I can find some Triops and or fairy shrimp, I will be sure to get pictures and keep this post updated. Hope to go out some time tomorrow for a looks see.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sadly not this time around, the ditch that is supposed to have them was actually dry, so I will have to wait and see if this bit of rain around refills the ditch/ drain.

I know I can buy "billabong Bugs" online but I still think it would be more fun if I can catch some locally, so I have not given up on finding some.