Dead shrimp

Tyler345

Hi guys, 

My Red Cherries (10) have been in my 25L tank for about 2 weeks now. Tested PH, Ammonia, Nitrate etc regularly and always seem fine. 

I've found a few molts within the tank but this morning I think i've found a body. The tail end is very clear but towards the head is still rather red and the antennas etc are still attached. 

Do you think I should be concerned? My intention is to breed the shrimp, however if i'm losing an adult then it's unlikely my shrimplets will survive if/when they show.

Any thoughts?

3 hours ago, Tyler345 said:

Tested PH, Ammonia, Nitrate etc regularly and always seem fine. 

What are your water parameters by the way?

Could you list them here, including temperature of the water?

If it's a single dead shrimp, it's probably not time to worry yet, as it could be age related.

Hi Jayc, 

I've actually just run out of test kits yesterday and cannot remember off the top of my head. I use the strips where you tell by the colour. 

I'm just about to move from 25L Nano to a 58L, so will re do a few tests around moving time. 

I've counted 7 when they were feeding on an algae wafer yesterday, but there's lots of places to hide in my tank so I am hoping the other 2 will just be hiding. If not, I could've lost 3.

Thanks 

23 hours ago, Tyler345 said:

there's lots of places to hide in my tank so I am hoping the other 2 will just be hiding.

I hope so too. 

Test strips are not the most accurate for getting detailed readings.

The liquid test kits aren't super accurate either, but at least they are a lot better at getting semi accurate readings. Get the liquid test kits from API if you need to buy any.

A digital pH meter and TDS meter will also be a good investment if you plan on keeping aquariums.

Sorry to hear you have a loss (or 2).

Dont worry to much about it yet as RCS, although really hardy, do tend to cull themselves out when you first get them. Especially if they are older as the juvies are better at coping with a change compared to adults. Have you noticed any saddled shrimp or berried ones yet?

Make sure your new tank is as cycled and mature as possible before you move them and then a close as possible to the old tank in WP's. Good luck and post a pic up when you can.

• 3 weeks later...

You may have found the solution already but another idea that I learned is, the shrimp may be low on protein. Protein helps them molt better.. hope all is going well for you.