Welcome to SKF Aquatics (Shrimp Keepers Forum)

Welcome to SKF Aquatics (Shrimp Keepers Forum), like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of SKF Aquatics (Shrimp Keepers Forum) by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
Heidi

New Nerite Snail Behaviour? / Any Sellers in Au?

Heidi

Hello! I'm new here and not sure if this is the way to ask questions or not so please let me know if I'm meant to do it some other way.

I recently received 3 nerite snails last Wednesday and two were DOA (dead on arrival). Actually, there wasnt even anything inside the two shells!! One however, was alive but in bad shape as its shell was not in good condition so I am going to provide it with calcium powder soon. I've read that they take a little time to adjust to new environments but the little guy hasnt moved since he arrived. I gently tugged on his trapdoor and he resisted so I assume he is alive as he also doesn't smell rotten. I've tried putting kale or algae wafers under him but nothing ): Does fluval stratum substrate have copper in it because I've heard that they are sensitive to copper and that is the substrate I am using which I didnt even think about! 

I was also wondering if there were any Aussie sellers here that have any of the black nerite snail variety? I heard that they are legal here but please correct me if I am wrong.

So sorry for the long post.. any response would be greatly appreciated! 😊

Edited by Heidi

fishmosy

Hey Heidi, yes some freshwater nerites are native to Australia but they are only available rarely. The true freshwater nerite that is available is called Neritina pulligera, one common name is the baseball cap nerite. They get up to around 4-5cm. I have some of these which I've had for several years. They don't seem to eat artificial foods but instead feed on the algae and biofilm growing in a tank.

Assuming you have a good amount of biofilm growing in your tank, your nerite doesn't need to be fed. In fact, moving it around and trying to feed it will only make it stay in its shell. Note that nerites tend to be more nocturnal (active at night) when they are first introduced to aquariums, but slowly became more active during the day. 

One more thing - the fact that you had two nerites arrive as shells only suggests you may have dealt with a dodgy seller. If so, you may need to check if you have a true freshwater nerite. Several nerites live in brackish and seawater that could appear in the hobby. In fact, the nerites that appear in rock pools will tolerate low salinity / freshwater for short periods - they have to in the wild when it rains - but they will eventually die if kept in a freshwater aquaria. Best to see if you can ID which nerite you have.

jc12

Hi Heidi, welcome to the forum.

I know Dave from Aquagreen sells the native nerites Neritina violacea. Check out their catalogue here: http://www.aquagreen.com.au/catalog.html

This is a short write up on the Neritina violacea: http://www.aquagreen.com.au/plant_data/Neritina_violacea.html

15 hours ago, fishmosy said:

The true freshwater nerite that is available is called Neritina pulligera, one common name is the baseball cap nerite. They get up to around 4-5cm. I have some of these which I've had for several years. They don't seem to eat artificial foods but instead feed on the algae and biofilm growing in a tank.

Very keen if you have any to spare together with the c. wilkinsi when you are able to source them. :happy:

• Like 1

Heidi

Thank you both for your replies!! I didn't see these messages as I didnt receive an email for some reason..

Anyhow, sadly the snail I was talking about has died and I have just received 3 new ones. Two are moving around (1 is a lot more active) and the third one has a big pit in its shell like the one before ): I will try my best to take care of them and I am sure that the most active one is the neritina violacea kind. Definitely looks like it. I've supplied the guys with some cuttle bone I stuck in the filter and hopefully it wont bother my betta!

I sent Dave an email about the snails and hopefully I hear a reply. They are very rare here! I'm planning to purchase two more for my sorority and two will stay in Pluto's (my betta) tank.

Are they bothered by a neutral pH? I've heard that can deteriorate their shells and I do have the fluval stratum substrate in there which does lower the pH. I tested it the other day and it's a little over neutral so should that be okay?

Edited by Heidi

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• NoGi
      By NoGi
      Clea helena is one of the most sought-after species in the aquarium business as it has the capability to hunt down pest snails; thus, helping solve the snail infestation concerns in fish tanks. Except for this, they are a peaceful community tank resident. Keep reading to know more about the assassin snail.       
      Appearance
      Their shells are conical and are prominent because of their yellow and dark brown stripes – adding a splash of color inside the fish tank.
      Unlike other species, it is not possible to tell which a female assassin snail is and which a male is. They breathe by sticking out their siphon – like other snails. Clea helena grows as large as 0.5 inch or 1.3 cm. However, there were reports of finding bigger snails. As the large snails age, they begin to lose the tip of their shell.    
      Natural Habitat
      Assassin snails are found in Southeast Asia and are native to Indonesia, Malaysia and Thailand. As freshwater aquatics, they occupy small bodies of water like streams and ponds. They prefer to live in areas where there are sandy or muddy substrates. Thus, if you are thinking about placing them in an aquarium, you should be able to reproduce a habitat like these conditions.
      Care
      It is so easy to look after an assassin snail. Water parameters are not essential, but to best care for them, keep them in water with medium hardness (pH 6.5-7.5). Their appearance may seem to point out that they move slowly but the truth is that they move quickly on any surface. Anyone can notice this particularly when they are hungry – and after they are fed as they disappear immediately.
      Feeding
      They eat other species of snails and worms, but they also devour anything they can find – including decaying fish and other small or soft-bodied invertebrates. Because of this, they do not give aquarists like you a hard time feeding them. If in case the tank has a significant population of snail, then you have nothing to worry about feeding them. Other aquarists feed them with brine shrimp, frozen blood worms and others.
      Breeding
      Some snails contain both the female and male reproductive organs. When they mate, they can produce eggs or young. However, these assassin snails are born a female or a male. Because you can’t tell their sex, buy 5 or 6 of them so you can at least be sure that you will have a male and a female. They mate for about 3 to 5 hours before they separate. Shortly thereafter, the female assassin snail will lay eggs (up to 4). These eggs, in a gelatinous square with a yellow centre appearance, emerge in a straight line.
      Feed them meaty food as it helps in good reproduction.
      Lifespan
      Clea helena can live around two years, but make sure that the aquarium is well-maintained and they can easily exceed this lifespan.

Sources
      Clea helena (assassin snail)
      Clea helena 
      Wikipedia
      Image Sources
      PKMousie Flickr cc

View full article
    • NoGi
      By NoGi
      Clea helena is one of the most sought-after species in the aquarium business as it has the capability to hunt down pest snails; thus, helping solve the snail infestation concerns in fish tanks. Except for this, they are a peaceful community tank resident. Keep reading to know more about the assassin snail.       
      Appearance
      Their shells are conical and are prominent because of their yellow and dark brown stripes – adding a splash of color inside the fish tank.
      Unlike other species, it is not possible to tell which a female assassin snail is and which a male is. They breathe by sticking out their siphon – like other snails. Clea helena grows as large as 0.5 inch or 1.3 cm. However, there were reports of finding bigger snails. As the large snails age, they begin to lose the tip of their shell.    
      Natural Habitat
      Assassin snails are found in Southeast Asia and are native to Indonesia, Malaysia and Thailand. As freshwater aquatics, they occupy small bodies of water like streams and ponds. They prefer to live in areas where there are sandy or muddy substrates. Thus, if you are thinking about placing them in an aquarium, you should be able to reproduce a habitat like these conditions.
      Care
      It is so easy to look after an assassin snail. Water parameters are not essential, but to best care for them, keep them in water with medium hardness (pH 6.5-7.5). Their appearance may seem to point out that they move slowly but the truth is that they move quickly on any surface. Anyone can notice this particularly when they are hungry – and after they are fed as they disappear immediately.
      Feeding
      They eat other species of snails and worms, but they also devour anything they can find – including decaying fish and other small or soft-bodied invertebrates. Because of this, they do not give aquarists like you a hard time feeding them. If in case the tank has a significant population of snail, then you have nothing to worry about feeding them. Other aquarists feed them with brine shrimp, frozen blood worms and others.
      Breeding
      Some snails contain both the female and male reproductive organs. When they mate, they can produce eggs or young. However, these assassin snails are born a female or a male. Because you can’t tell their sex, buy 5 or 6 of them so you can at least be sure that you will have a male and a female. They mate for about 3 to 5 hours before they separate. Shortly thereafter, the female assassin snail will lay eggs (up to 4). These eggs, in a gelatinous square with a yellow centre appearance, emerge in a straight line.
      Feed them meaty food as it helps in good reproduction.
      Lifespan
      Clea helena can live around two years, but make sure that the aquarium is well-maintained and they can easily exceed this lifespan.

Sources
      Clea helena (assassin snail)
      Clea helena 
      Wikipedia
      Image Sources
      PKMousie Flickr cc
    • OzShrimp
      By OzShrimp
      I utilised this method when moving house last January. I have given this as advice on the forum previously a long time ago but not written as an article. Unfortunately i didn't take photos because i was moving house but i have obtained images of the main items required and done an image in paint to explain the holes. i hope this will suffice?.
      You will require:
      20 litre bucket with lid (Source from bunnings or masters) Sponge filter I recommend the ones which have suction caps and a minimum of two if you go for single sponge. Optimum at least 2 dual sponge filters Battery operated air pump. Air hose Drill or sharp pointed object. Excess plants (the more the better) pH buffering substrate. Preparation
      Step 1: Ensure your sponge filters are running on your existing tank for as long as possible to ensure you have beneficial bacteria culture growing on the filters. The longer they are running the better.
      Step 2: Take the lid from your bucket and make holes in the lid. The holes should be big enough for your air hose to fit through one of the holes and I did the extras to ensure new air was able to enter the bucket. Mine was done in a similar pattern to this

Step 3: Add existent tank water to the bucket. I would recommend at least 3 quarters full as if you are unfortunate enough to suffer an ammonia spike etc (worst case) the more water the lower the impact in theory. Be mindful of how much you add due to holes in the lid, the more the water the more chance of spillage.
      Step 4: Add some of your existing substrate to the bottom of the bucket. I used benibachi for the ph buffering ability which had already been in my tank. I felt it would assist in reducing stress due to resembling the tank.
      Step 5: You want to add the sponge filters to the inside of the bucket and thread your air hose through the holes in the lid.
      Step 6: Add any plants you have available to your bucket. The aim of the plants is to assist the bacteria on the sponge filters in maintaining healthy water due to the small amount. I utilised needle leaf java fern and it also provides a food source for the shrimp.
      Step 7: Add your shrimp and turn on the sponge filters and replace the lid on the bucket.
      Step 8: Store the bucket out of direct sunlight during travel and storage at arriving destination to prevent major fluctuations in water temperature.
      I had approximately 5 CBS inclusive of shrimplets in a bucket utilising this method alive for close to two weeks. They survived 8 hour car trip and then about 12 days whilst my tank cycled being set up in the new house with temperatures averaging over 35 degrees a day.
      TIPS: Prepare your sponge filters in the tank and have them running for as long as possible prior to transfer.
      The later you leave your shrimp to be added to the bucket the better.
      Keep your bucket out of direct sunlight to avoid over heating and mass fluctuations in water temperature.
      Avoid over feeding your shrimp as you dont want an ammonia spike from left over food. Depending on amount of plants these should be sufficient to supply micro organisms to feed on the leaves.
      Battery air pumps are also able to be used in a black out so dont throw them away.

View full article
    • OzShrimp
      By OzShrimp
      I utilised this method when moving house last January. I have given this as advice on the forum previously a long time ago but not written as an article. Unfortunately i didn't take photos because i was moving house but i have obtained images of the main items required and done an image in paint to explain the holes. i hope this will suffice?.
      You will require:
      20 litre bucket with lid (Source from bunnings or masters) Sponge filter I recommend the ones which have suction caps and a minimum of two if you go for single sponge. Optimum at least 2 dual sponge filters Battery operated air pump. Air hose Drill or sharp pointed object. Excess plants (the more the better) pH buffering substrate. Preparation
      Step 1: Ensure your sponge filters are running on your existing tank for as long as possible to ensure you have beneficial bacteria culture growing on the filters. The longer they are running the better.
      Step 2: Take the lid from your bucket and make holes in the lid. The holes should be big enough for your air hose to fit through one of the holes and I did the extras to ensure new air was able to enter the bucket. Mine was done in a similar pattern to this

Step 3: Add existent tank water to the bucket. I would recommend at least 3 quarters full as if you are unfortunate enough to suffer an ammonia spike etc (worst case) the more water the lower the impact in theory. Be mindful of how much you add due to holes in the lid, the more the water the more chance of spillage.
      Step 4: Add some of your existing substrate to the bottom of the bucket. I used benibachi for the ph buffering ability which had already been in my tank. I felt it would assist in reducing stress due to resembling the tank.
      Step 5: You want to add the sponge filters to the inside of the bucket and thread your air hose through the holes in the lid.
      Step 6: Add any plants you have available to your bucket. The aim of the plants is to assist the bacteria on the sponge filters in maintaining healthy water due to the small amount. I utilised needle leaf java fern and it also provides a food source for the shrimp.
      Step 7: Add your shrimp and turn on the sponge filters and replace the lid on the bucket.
      Step 8: Store the bucket out of direct sunlight during travel and storage at arriving destination to prevent major fluctuations in water temperature.
      I had approximately 5 CBS inclusive of shrimplets in a bucket utilising this method alive for close to two weeks. They survived 8 hour car trip and then about 12 days whilst my tank cycled being set up in the new house with temperatures averaging over 35 degrees a day.
      TIPS: Prepare your sponge filters in the tank and have them running for as long as possible prior to transfer.
      The later you leave your shrimp to be added to the bucket the better.
      Keep your bucket out of direct sunlight to avoid over heating and mass fluctuations in water temperature.
      Avoid over feeding your shrimp as you dont want an ammonia spike from left over food. Depending on amount of plants these should be sufficient to supply micro organisms to feed on the leaves.
      Battery air pumps are also able to be used in a black out so dont throw them away.
    • OzShrimp
      By OzShrimp
      Was taught this from 2OFUS
      I have suffered the catastrophe of losing a tank full of shrimp after having to bomb for cockroaches in a house we rented a while ago and left my air pumps on and my tank unprotected.
      Here is how you can successfully bomb for cockroaches and fleas safely without an impact on your shrimp.
      What you need -
      Lots of cling wrap. Time Towels and sheets Step 1
      Step one is to wrap your entire tank(s) in cling wrap. I did this a with two layers of cling wrap which cover the glass and over the lids.
      You want to ensure there are no gaps in your cling wrap.
      Step 2
      Wrap some wet old bed sheets around the top of your tank or utilise wet some towels. You then want to place the towels over the top of the tank, the idea of the sheets and towels being wet is to catch any of the pesticide particles and have them settle on the towel as opposed to entering any gaps you cant see.
      I utilized 3 towels for extra precaution
      Step 3
      Repeat step 1 and wrap another layer of cling around the tank and towels.

Step 4
      Turn off all air pumps and wrap them in cling wrap. The last thing you want is any pesticide from the spray landing n your pump and being pushed into the water column when you turn the pumps back on.
      Step 5
      Wrap you cabinet in cling wrap, my cabinet is an open back so was imperative that i covered it. You want to ensure any gaps in the doors and what not are covered.
      Step 6
      Wrap any items which go into your tank in cling wrap or remove them from the room which is being sprayed. This might include things such as nets, gravel vacs, air hosing and even containers holding your food. You do not want pesticide on the outside of your container and you touch it before feeding your shrimp. Another big one is Buckets! Last thing you want is insecticide in a bucket and you do a water change!
      Step 7
      Wear gloves or wash your hands thoroughly after removing the cling wrap and towels.
      It sounds like overkill but the last time i utilized this method was to deal with a flea infestation and would not put my shrimp before my families well being. Thankfully utilizing this i was able to keep both safe without 1 loss my shrimp!

View full article