Shrimp with Corydoras cats

KillieOrCory

I have decided to get a few more shrimp to create more tanks similar to the one I had a few years back in the video below.

This 4 foot tank had a lot of corys and I had a population explosion of shrimps. Currently, I set one up with yellow cherries and another with orange rillis. Going to be looking for more shrimp when it starts to warm up a bit in Canberra.

• Like 2

Hi Serkan,

Were those juvie corys, or were they full grown? 

Edited by jayc

Hi JayC,

They were fully grown corys. Some of the shrimp grew to a huge size too.

• 3 weeks later...

OK a tiny update.

Now I have a few more tanks with shrimp and corys. So all up I have (in no particular order):

Tank 1: Yellow Cherries with mixed adult and juvie corys

Tank 2: Tangerine Tigers and Orange Rilli Cherries with mixed adult corys

Tank 3: Snowballs with adult breeding group of corys

Tank 4: Sunkist Cherries with adult breeding group of corys

Tank 5: Bloody Mary Cherries with adult breeding group of corys

Tank 6: Black Taitibees with cory fry

Tank 7: Red Taitibees with cory fry

So far all the tanks are going great. As the shrimp mature they are very bold with corys and push them away from food.

• Like 4

Hi mate,

Sorry I have a cory related question if you don't mind.

At what size do you move cory juvies back with the parents? I have been keeping both panda and pygmy cory juvies in a Ziss BL-2 breeder box till they are around TL 2cm before moving them into the main tank.

Would you recommend earlier/later and reasons?

Keen to hear your thoughts.

Thank you.

• Like 1

@jc12 No worries always happy to share my thoughts and observations.

With my pandas the occasional fry end up growing with the parents (I collect eggs regularly and raise them separately). I observed from around 15mm onwards they are bolder and come out and forage around the adults. Smaller than that they hide most of the time.

With the pygmys if they were in their own tank almost any size really. But if you have them in the same tank as pandas probably 15mm is a safe size.

Safe in terms of bullying from the adults, but more importantly for them to get to the food and not miss out due to hiding too much. There is very little concern in terms of adults eating the juvies.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Yes very helpful advice. Thank you.

I have the pygmys and pandas in the same tank but I plan to separate them once I free up a 4ft tank.

Do you know of any hybridising happening between the 3 types of 'dwarf' corys i.e. pygmaeus, habrosus and hastatus? I couldn't find any documented account from Google or other forums.

I am thinking of breeding all 3 types in a 4ft undivided tank and leave the eggs/fry with the parents the whole time with plenty of cover for fry, and each breeding colony would be of at least 6 specimens or more. I just don't want to produce any hybrids. Imagine hundreds of them schooling in a 4ft!!! Haha.

Pandas will stay in their own tank.

Also keen to breed some adolfoi or duplicareus if time allows... see the trend here? Black and white corys are so cute. Haha.

Babies and family means no time to breed discus anymore.

If you have enough of both sexes the chances of the three species hybridizing is greatly reduced. Even when I had them in together for short periods they behave differently.

Probably hastatus is the least likely one to hybridize with the other two. The behaviour of habrosus and pygmaeus is similar but when I kept them together they hang around in species groups more often then not. As long as you have enough of each species you shouldn't have any issues.

I have all three but I am keeping them separate. Once they start breeding they are easy to maintain as they usually ignore their eggs and fry.

Sorry about the discus but I like corys more anyway ?

• Like 1

Keen to see your progression! I will be endeavoring the journey of shrimp and cories soon :)

Mine will be painted fire reds with habrosus cories. Do you have any tips or anything to watch out for?
I think what im most concerned with is feeding time LOL I guess they will scavenge on left over foods and algae? 

• Like 1

Habrosus are very gentle corys. Chances are during feeding time shrimp will get to the food before, unless the corys figure out where you drop the food and they sit and wait there ?

The tank should work really well with those two. I find the habrosus corys (and the other two dwarf species) like being fed microworms and I am finding the shrimp really like them too.

• Like 1

Hi Serkan,

Have you tried breeding the corys in shrimp tanks? Keen to hear your view.

I find the microworms tend to fall between the gaps of the substrate especially for buffering substrates which are a larger grain size compared to e.g. sand.

I have been breeding them in bare bottom tanks but any good tips from you would be helpful.

Cheers,

JC

• Like 2

Hi JC,

If you are feeding microworms on buffering substrates I would suggest using a petridish and pipetting the microworms in there.

I currently have my spawning group of C.panda, breeding pair of barbatus, yet to breed group of C.schutlzei Black and yet to breed group of C.cervinus in with shrimp. Having shrimp there have not distrupted spawning of the corys that have spawned.

I am thinking about introducing some shrimp into the tank of C.septentrionalis Colombia group as they are very skittish and I was suggested to use dither fish in with them. So I am going to use dither shrimp ?

Most of my tanks are sand, half sand half bare or bare bottom tanks.

I have bags of shrimp substrate but they are still sealed under one of the racks! lol

• Like 2

By the way, I am still using your white bread recipe for MWs (including your starter culture) that you posted on Facebook more than a year ago. By far the best recipe hands down. Thanks heaps again.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great to hear @jc12 By the way, do you feed your shrimp microworms? When I feed the corys microworms the shrimp in there go crazy as well ?

Another tiny update:

I got Yellow Cherry shrimplets growing in the tank so having bazillion corys there of many different size did not make much difference to shrimp survival. Also it looks like every single female yellow cherry is berried.

Sunkist have settled in well and 2 females are berried so looking good so far.

Snowballs, seem to have not liked their tank much and I lost a few. The corys in that tank were not bothering even the dead shrimp. I suspect it might have been the tank temp, so i moved them down a row on the racks to see how they go.

Bloody Mary have settled well and are more out and about than ever before, which is great.

I got some more shrimp over the weekend so they should be arriving soon!

Even though shrimp are doing well with the corys and I already have shrimplets growing, I got cholla wood for shrimplets to hide in.

5 hours ago, KillieOrCory said:

Great to hear @jc12 By the way, do you feed your shrimp microworms? When I feed the corys microworms the shrimp in there go crazy as well 1f601.png

I've never thought of feeding the shrimps microworms. I do feed them some higher protein stuff like blackworm pellets once in a while.

I used to have red cherry shrimps with corys but I moved them out after I found them eating blue ram eggs. I don't want them eating the cory eggs. I tried having RCS with blue ram eggs as I have read they are good at picking at the eggs to prevent fungus. I guess my RCS somehow has an acquired taste for caviar.

Great to hear your corys and shrimps are getting along well! :)

• 1 month later...

A tiny update:

I now have 20 tanks with shrimp and corys together.

As expected all the Neocaridinas are doing well. I have also now moved some shrimp from my third row and put them in other tanks as the shrimp in the bottom 2 row of tanks are doing the best. These tanks are 20-21C at the bottom row and 22-23C for the second row.

I also have some Caridinas which are doing well. Tangerine Tigers are berry galore and the OEBT blondes also doing well though not berried yet possibly still young.

I have two tanks of Taitibees which are doing great and starting to put on size. Looks promising for berried shrimp some time down the track.

Also have CRS, CBS, CBS mischiling and SnowWhites which are also all seem to be doing well and starting to put on size.

• Like 2

A tiny update:
I now have 20 tanks with shrimp and corys together.
As expected all the Neocaridinas are doing well. I have also now moved some shrimp from my third row and put them in other tanks as the shrimp in the bottom 2 row of tanks are doing the best. These tanks are 20-21C at the bottom row and 22-23C for the second row.
I also have some Caridinas which are doing well. Tangerine Tigers are berry galore and the OEBT blondes also doing well though not berried yet possibly still young.
I have two tanks of Taitibees which are doing great and starting to put on size. Looks promising for berried shrimp some time down the track.
Also have CRS, CBS, CBS mischiling and SnowWhites which are also all seem to be doing well and starting to put on size.

Good luck :-) enjoying following the progress. Is this the room behind the mirror you mentioned some time ago? Is it air conditioned by the way ?

[emoji173][emoji111][emoji445]
will

I keep a couple of native shrimp with corys and they do very well together.  the shrimp do better with corys than when alone in a species tank because they get fed more often and the cory's stir up "dust" which feeds the baby shrimp.

Edited by Grubs

• 1 year later...
On 8/17/2017 at 6:34 AM, jc12 said:

I find the microworms tend to fall between the gaps of the substrate especially for buffering substrates which are a larger grain size compared to e.g. sand.

Hi , I just started using Microworms this week to feed the cory fry in my CRS tank, how long do they survive in the tank for? No one seems interested in them at the moment but I have just been tabbing them into the water ... I will try to get them to the feeding bowl today and see if that helps