Unidentified tank mate

Chindy

Hey guys don't know if photos came out alright but I've found a weird wormlike creature with what looks like a segmented body same colour as the shrimp does anyone know what it could be and if it's harmful to shrimp or shtimplets 7c4d835bd8781f91484ce2fb468d40f1.jpg8a22969f674c5a41716d5692d69124ba.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 2017-6-29 at 8:42 PM, Chindy said:

could be and if it's harmful to shrimp

Argh, my eyes!

Sorry, I got a head spin trying to focus on those pictures.

Not too sure what it is. thought it might have been a bloodworm or a midge larvae, not too sure that is what it is. However ...

"If in doubt, take it out."

Edited by jayc

Yeah sry hard to get to focus with the iPhone

I just caught it after I found a shrimp dead that looked like it had split up the middle like molting with no legs when I zoomed in to take a photo it had a mouth that was snapping open and shut very weird can anyone tell me what it is a51933b30ce9b627cfc69eb8fc80e464.jpg885f7a1a5f470477a0780beb478dc429.jpg

I'm pretty Peru sure that is a bloodworm. Harmless to shrimp,  and fish love eating them. 

Edited by jayc
Damn auto correct!

It must be I just looked at images and it has to be. I've only ever put frozen bloodworms twice in the tank very strange lol

7 hours ago, jayc said:

I'm Peru sure that is a bloodworm. Harmless to shrimp,  and fish love eating them. 

What he says ;)

Yes, a nice, fat bloodworm. You can let it wander in the tank, as it is harmless for shrimps, or make a fish happy

• 4 weeks later...

I get blood worms occurring naturally in my pond even in tubs of water that I am presoaking timber for the tank in, the adult midges will lay their eggs in any standing body of water that has organic matter in it. I am pretty sure they are a detritus feeder, and as stated harmless to shrimp and shrimp do love eating them.

I used to have a thriving colony of blackworms in my shrimp tank too and when the numbers got too extreme I would remove the lava rock they where living in and give me loaches a treat. The lava rock was also covered in a hair algae so the loaches really had to work to suck out the worms. The only danger I found with the blackworms was if the water got too hot or something else malfunctioned in the tank causing the colony to die suddenly, meant almost the entire tank ecology/ bacteria crashed.

If you have other tanks with fish then raising bloodworms, mosquito wrigglers and blackworms at home is cheap easy and a good food for almost all aquatic pets.

• Like 1