Do Tannins alter shrimp coloration?

travellife

I've transferred my shrimpettes, 7 months old, to their new tank that has Malaysian driftwood and Catappa leaves. The water is mildly tinted with tannins, their previous environment had crystal clear water. Would this cause my rillis to become milky rather than transparent in the clear portion of their bodies? 35401598516658177ae39fad3332d8e9.jpg

That's what I've read, that tannins aren't harmful and in fact can be helpful.  So, I had a small piece of petrified wood in the tank which I've removed just in case and also switched out the miniature PennPlax HOB for a corner sponge filter.  They are more active now, swimming across the tank.  The HOB may have been creating a current they didn't like that was stressing them.  This is the first time they've been in a filtered tank so it's a new experience for them.  As far as the transparent areas on the rillis I think part of it's just me finally being able to see them clearly.  They look healthy and I'm very pleased with the new tank.  Glad I waited to move them until they were all a bit larger.  Even that went a lot smoother than I ever expected.

Here's one of the shrimp that has a white head coloration.   Does the shrimp look OK to you?  I'm hoping it's simply the way some neocaridina look when they have mostly clear bodies.  This group has never been exposed to other shrimp or fish and were born to the same mother.

038.JPG

041.JPG

I can't say it looks normal to me, but it's also not the typical "cloudy" coloration of clearly sick or stressed shrimp.

View this for comparison.

I saw that article which is excellent, this is one of the most informative shrimping websites.  I did hear from someone on another group that raises neocaridina davidi var. orange and some of her shrimp look exactly the one in question.  So I'm a lot less worried now.  Just discovered I now have new babies in another tank, the mother is pictured in my profile picture, very pretty yellow.

Thank you for your feedback, it's much appreciated.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
I saw that article which is excellent, this is one of the most informative shrimping websites.  I did hear from someone on another group that raises neocaridina davidi var. orange and some of her shrimp look exactly the one in question.  So I'm a lot less worried now.  Just discovered I now have new babies in another tank, the mother is pictured in my profile picture, very pretty yellow.
Thank you for your feedback, it's much appreciated.
Hi travellife,
Some of my orange rili's with no colour on their head halves have that look too, I believe it's due to a shrimps normal 'colour' covering all the bits inside so we don't see most of it.
Here's some pics of several of mine who have a lot of clear/pale areas.
IMG_20180304_215403.jpgreceived_10156539656717841.jpegIMG_20180306_002616_222.jpg

Sent from my Elephone P8000 using Shrimp Keepers Forum mobile app