Aquaone snail eliminator.

Zebra

Hello, 

I replanted my little high tech planted nano tank recently and I'm sick of all the pest snails (bladder and pond snails, and those limpets)

There's no livestock in the tank, only plants so I figured for $3 or so I'd try the aquaone snail eliminator, this is a copper sulphate based product- I'm not planning to use it in tanks containing livestock.

Added today at recommended dose.

Ive got some no planaria coming in the mail, but I've read mixed results about it, some saying it is shrimp safe and will even kill snails, Some saying it's very hit and miss. 

Im hoping if I treat the tank now then don't introduce any new plants or anything besides shrimp months from now it should stay pest free unless pests come in from tap water etc? 

IMG_1577.JPG

Approaching the 48 hour mark, 

So far the snails don't seem bothered at all, planaria seem to be thriving lol. No livestock in the tank so I dosed again today, Twice the recommended dosage.

Ive read it can be quite toxic in soft water, so I've been thinking of doing a few large straight rain water changes to drop the tds hoping it makes this work more effectively.

So far doesn't seem to be doing anything.

Still doesn't seem to be doing anything, lots of snails of different sizes getting around, I can't see any limpids anymore, but the planaria population seems to have doubled lol.

I dumped like another 20ml in the tank again today, as when I read the active constitute it's a very low quantity and I have no livestock in the tank it's kind of a tester at this point. I started seeing some snails falling off the walls when I did this, will update with pics later.

Have you tried cranking up the CO2? Also, this doesn't help with your current situation but will help you in the future...dunk your plants in some lemonade for 10 minutes and then leave in a tub for a month. If no snails, then you're good to go. Hasn't failed me...yet (touch wood).

• Like 1

Cheers man, I'll have to give that a try, I should have better quarantine procedures too haha.

Yeah I did think of the co2 to start, but most snail species can surface to breathe air which sucks. 

I also tried co2 in conjunction with phosphoric acid to maintain a ph of less then 5, in an attempt to literally melt the carbonates out of the snails till they die, still no luck, and the planaria still seem to live, thrive even lol.

Before that I did try a single Pakistani loach for a few months but it never seemed to make a dent on the snail population even without feeding the tank.

Ive got some no planaria coming so I'll do some big water changes then give that a go, cause I'm tempted to put dog worming tabs or rat poison in ATM lol kidding.

Edited by Zebra

• 2 weeks later...

Snails are still alive and thriving, Even at over 5x dose.

Imo this product is a dud and can be toxic to livestock lol. Asking for a refund :)

My no planaria arrived while I was away so dosing that tonight.