Is a Banded Kuhli Loach Compatible

roscoeb

Hi
A while ago I put a Banded Kuhli Loach (Pangio Kuhli) in my Nano Shrimp. My LFS  assured me it wouldn't touch the shrimp but would get rid of the  pond snails, of which I had a few.

However I only see one or two  young CRS in my tank and was wondering if the loach could be dining on shrimp fry.

Any advice \ opinion really appreciated

Roscoe

I've had Los of LFS say they are fine with shrimp, but generally follow the "if it fits in a fishs' mouth it's dinner"

I think the only true shrimp safe fish are otocinclus cats.

If you only have one loach, I would return it, regardless of how well it may or may not do well with shrimp. Loaches do best in groups, not as a single fish.

Do have one tank here that has a small group of black kuhlis and striped (banded), and still have a shrimp population. The tank also has mini ramshorn snails and limpets.

• Like 1

HI

Thanks for the reply :-)

Yeah I think you're right  - if it looks like food and fits in the mouth, instinct will rule

Roscoe 

19 hours ago, Zoidburg said:

If you only have one loach, I would return it, regardless of how well it may or may not do well with shrimp. Loaches do best in groups, not as a single fish.

Do have one tank here that has a small group of black kuhlis and striped (banded), and still have a shrimp population. The tank also has mini ramshorn snails and limpets.

Yeah that's true 

I'll put him back with his old  mates in the LFS tank :-)

Thanks for the reply

Roscoe

• Like 1

On 5/22/2017 at 0:23 AM, Zebra said:

I've had Los of LFS say they are fine with shrimp, but generally follow the "if it fits in a fishs' mouth it's dinner"

I think the only true shrimp safe fish are otocinclus cats.

HI

Thanks for your reply ?

Yeah the kuhlui loach is going back to the LFS tomorrow 
Then it will be a shrimp only tank..I'll keep it that way in the future

Regards

Roscoe

• Like 1