Introducing new genetics to an existing colony.

Shrimp>Wife

Hi All,

I've been keeping CRS for just over a year now, after a few hiccups and the steep learning curve my surviving 25 adults have produced 90 odd shrimplets in the last 2 months.

I'm planning my second cull and the need to add new blood. So guys what's the safest way to add new shrimps to a colony? I have heard horror stories of either the existing colony or the new occupants being wiped out by possible bacteria or pathogen being carried by either the existing or new occupants.

Any advice?

ff9e17ddb2d5acc8b17efe2118f622cc.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• HOF Member

It is a problem when introducing new shrimp so there are a few precautions you can take . you can have an isolation tank where you keep the shrimp for a week or two to make sure none are sick. It doesn't need to be an elaborate tank just somewhere with a filter or airstone and heater.

When you have finished acclimatising your shrimp you shouldn't put the water into your tank rather net the shrimp out of the container and put them into the tank without any of their water. 

Buy shrimp from a reputable breeder - not someone who buys and sells constantly . If they are buying from multiple people then there is more chance of their tanks having unwanted bacteria.

Also don't buy shrimp from multiple breeders all at once as again you might add unwanted problems.

i have only bought shrimp from a few other breeders over the years - just when I wanted different varieties or a good quality male to add better genes to my colonies. So far I have never had any issues with introducing disease into my tanks. 

Good luck 

• Like 2

@ineke has given some great advice here. If you're just after a male or two and in australia I may be able to help you out.

[emoji173][emoji111][emoji445]
will

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice and the offer. I'm going to setup a cull tank and keep some immature culls with any in coming shrimp for a few weeks. If there are no problems they should be good for my main colony too.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk