Shrimp issue

Shrimpness

What is on my shrimp and how do I need to take care of this. Salt dipped them both 2 days in a row and I still see them on the shrimp. Looks like trees and they are located on left of shrimp.

IMG_0352.JPG

Edited by Shrimpness
More info added

Moved to the Health and Care subforum.

It's either Vorticella or Scutariella.

You mention that you have tried a salt dip. What dosage of salt and duration did you try that treatment for?

Always check our thread on Diseases as a first step...

2 cups water and 2 teaspoons salt, should I make it stronger?

Treatment was for 1minute.  2 days in a row...

thx so much jayc

Edited by Shrimpness
More info.

@Shrimpness, That's the right dosage and duration.

I would try it one more time at 2 teaspoons to 1 cup of water for no more than 30 seconds.

If that doesn't work, we can conclude salt bath is not working for whatever this parasite is.

You might have to resort to Planaria treatments, like Genchem's No Planaria or Benibachi's Planaria Zero. Use half dose. Repeat the treatment 1 week later also at half dose. Treat only the affected shrimp separately (outside the main tank) unless the whole tank is infected. If you treat the whole tank, 20% water change 2 days after treatment is recommended.

Hopefully last question, but when I saw the first signs of something wrong in the tank, 3 days ago, I took shrimp out, completely cleaned, cloroxed, rinsed everything thoroughly, added and conditioned new water, checked to make sure all chlorine was removed, then put shrimp back in and have been taking them out to treat them, then putting them back in tank... do I need to clean the tank in it's entirety again, or do You think it's ok...   thanks a bunch...

Just dipped them again and most of them came off but I am afraid to leave them in there too long especially when they start acting stressed. I'm also afraid to do this treatment more than once every 24 hours...... does this sound right or am I being too cautious.....   

2 hours ago, Shrimpness said:

do I need to clean the tank in it's entirety again, or do You think it's ok

I think it's ok if you do not want to clean the whole tank again.

Just keep your water clean with regular water changes. Those parasites really only seem to appear with very dirty water.  Where did you get the shrimps from? Local breeder or imported from overseas?

2 hours ago, Shrimpness said:

Just dipped them again and most of them came off but I am afraid to leave them in there too long especially when they start acting stressed. I'm also afraid to do this treatment more than once every 24 hours...... does this sound right or am I being too cautious

That is right. Don't stress them too much, as stress causes them to have lower immunity levels to fight diseases naturally. You have spotted the issue early, so the shrimp are still strong enough to take salt bath treatments. 

Good to hear that the salt bath treatment worked. It is not uncommon to have to perform the salt bath treatment several times.

Edited by jayc

Thanks for the encouragement.....I was starting to wonder if I was doing something wrong....    have a great night!

If anything, vorticella, but I haven't seen any like that.... maybe the pictures just weren't good enough?

Was thinking that if salt doesn't work, you can try Fenbendazole (dog/goat dewormer), No Planaria, Planaria Zero or BorneoWild Exterminate.

Last resort, get Kordon Rid Ich Plus and medicate the shrimps food until it can no longer absorb the medication, then feed the shrimp.