All In One Tank Suggestions For Betta Please

GotCrabs

Hi all, haven't really been on for awhile due to life's challenges that get thrown our way from time to time but have thought I would jump on and ask for some suggestions on the following.

My Mum has a bright red Betta that she adores and it's currently in a 12g that I use to keep all my shrimp in, well the Betta took care of them all and I'm in the process of making it back into a shrimp only tank with just Anubias on driftwood and Moss, so I am after some suggestions for an all in one nano set up for a Betta, I've looked on eBay and haven't found anything I really like or should I say trust that won't break as some look quite cheap and would like to buy her something decent that will do the job well, checked out the Fluval Chi but think the lighting is quite poor though, so think that's out of the question also.

Anyway, if anyone could give me some suggestions it would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

For those who are interested... I ended up buying a Aqua One Betta Villa Trio yesterday, the LFS only had that and the Betta Haven, felt the Haven was too small so went with the Trio, got it home and put it together and realised the sections weren't that much larger either, have now put the Betta in a separate tank and have pulled out the dividers in the Trio, will remove the silicon from the tank later today so that it's all one tank which would be more ideal so more room for the Betta to move around, can't say I'm a fan of these small Betta tanks, fish need room to swim, not look miserable and uninterested.

• Like 1

I'm not that familiar with Betta but do they swim around much in larger tanks or just float on along like a cruisy sunday?

• Like 1

That Betta would love a bigger tank. They can be pretty miserable in real small areas. I think the way most pet stores keep them, in a cup, is really inhumane. Give him the biggest size that is practical for you. Add a few plants if you can.

• Like 2

If you put it in a tank which has reflection on the glass you may want to consider covering the sides in carboard or painting it etc. You will find the male will spend alot of time flaring out at the reflection postering which can lead to stress which then onto disease in rare cases.

• Like 1

Betta are pretty intelligent and independent fish, so yeah I think removing the dividers is a good move to give it swimming room. Personally I'd not go with less than 20L, preferably 40L. Water quality is easier to maintain, too. They seem to love having a decent sized territory and plenty of stimulation so long as the water isn't too deep and the current isn't too strong (more of an issue for those with encumbering fins - those closer to wild form like plakats can swim well enough). Plenty of objects, plants, and some larger shrimp or other inverts is nice for keeping them stimulated, and regularly rearranging the scape seems to excite them a lot.

Example: My rescue betta had mobility problems due to fin structure issues but he still patrolled his territory, swam over and under everything he could find, and moved light weight stuff around by shoving it. He also enjoyed trolling the cherry shrimp culls by swimming into a mob of them on their food. He didn't like to eat their food or try to eat them - he just liked to watch them scatter if he swam into the group with his fins fluffed out. He'd then sit on the shrimp crack and wait for them to gather around again before flaring his fins to scare them. Can't say all bettas will be this placid to shrimp though!!!

• Like 1

At this stage I have the Betta sitting in the Mr Aqua 12g Long, 90cm x 25cm x 25cm or something like that, so plenty of room to get around and the tank is full of Anubias nana and other Anubias on driftwood with Moss.

In two minds about making the Betta Villa Trio into a Crystal Red tank or making the Mr Aqua into a Crystal Red tank though.