Breeding towards blues

pmasa

Looks amazing. We have similar here in SA called blue dream shrimp.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y360-U72 using Tapatalk

By the way this is a very interesting thread

Sent from my HUAWEI Y360-U72 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update, still getting alot of mixed results of the chocs mainly blues, blacks, and browns (still no reds, but is probably only a matter of time). I do however have a hypothesis that i plan to test, that i hope will result in something a bit more stable. At this stage i only have about two shrimp that match my criteria, so hopefully i will get a few more soon, and then start selective breeding from there. I plan to keep you all informed as i progress, hopefully my hypothesis pans out.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It would be interesting to know if the chocolate shrimp throw more red or blue/ black offspring due to their own lines of development or if it is more down to water parameters and food supplied. Since the chocolate cherries I have often throw a couple of dark red babies (red from a very early age), usually a couple of yellowish but mostly seem to produce blue blacks and still sometimes throw the odd clear wild type which I have found can change colour as they develop from anything from remaining clear to faint yellow, faint blue even faint green.

• HOF Member

Mine still throw more Blue -I've separated some chocolates out and although I get an odd red  I mostly get blue and chocolates. 

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry for the long time between updates. Unfortunately there have been a few set backs. The colony was split over two tanks and whilst on holiday one crashed, badly. Between the tank crash and moving house the remaing shrimp haven't breed in about 6 months. The shrimps are now in their own 60l tank and I am hoping they start breeding again soon. As an aside I have noticed one of the remaing females has an interesting head pattern.

20180720_184248.jpg

• Like 1