C02 bee shrimp

Tricky

With my tank 135L id like to have some plants in the tank, but id like to run C02 as well for good plant growth, but im unsure on what parameters to keep to with taiwan shrimp, i no we can use a C02 bubble checker for the correct amount of C02 in the water, any advise/guide on this is appreciated, 

Thanks

I found running Co2 with bee shrimp does have a slight affect on there behavior. Breeding became almost nonexistent and slightly shorter life span. 

I ran my Co2 at 18-23mg/L using only RO water with salty shrimp GH/KH to stabilize water parameters and keep a constant PH of 6.4. KH of 2-3 and GH of 3-4. 

A lot of breeders I have spoken to don't recommend it. With planted tanks you also need to add extra nutrients which affects you TDS levels in a bad way I always battled to keep my TDS under 200 with minimal ferts. 

Its a hard balancing act to pull off and takes a lot of effort and time to get it right 

My advice is keep everything you add to the tank at just below minimal levels and keep testing and adjusting accordingly. 

And good luck

• Like 1

I should also state I am relatively new to shrimp keeping but planted tanks I do have a bit experience with. I also know shrimp prefer O2 enriched water and injected Co2 can deplete O2 levels.

One thing people do get misinformed about with Co2 is it been a nutrient for plants. Unfortunately it's not the case. Easy way to explain it is Co2 for plants is like air for us. Air and Co2 have no nutrimental value that's why fertilizers are used to boost nutrient levels.  Decaying plants, food, fish waste do release small amounts of Co2 but isn't usually enough to sustain a balanced amount released. 

I found Low tec plants like java fern/java and pelia moss and some crypts are the preferred plants for shrimp tanks. And don't need the extra Co2 injection or ferts to flourish. 

Liquid carbons (what I like to call liquid fake form of Co2) like flourish excel has micro traces of copper which is deadly to any shrimp. Not to mention can raise TDS levels through the roof. Other macros/micros like iron can also contain copper. Phosphorus, nitrogen, potassium all contain chemicals that will affect shrimp coloring, molting, breeding and life span. 

Common basic chemicals in aquarium fertilizers that are not naturally found in shrimps natural environments can include  
Rexolin APN a Micro Mix containing (Fe+)
Iron DTPA 
Potassium Nitrate (KNO3)
Potassium Sulphate (K2SO4) 
Mono Potassium Phosphate (KH2PO4)
Magnesium Sulphate (MgSO4) in unbalanced portions can be a toxic mix for any fish or invertebrates. 

I have probably gone overboard but I believe to much info is better than not enough.hahaha. 

• Like 3

@Tricky, pick the right low light plants, and your tank won't need CO2. Saves you money and time from having another piece of equipment or three. 

My shrimp tanks all have mosses of various varieties, subwassertangs and java ferns. These low light plants are all thriving and constantly need pruning. Which is another added hassle. Pruning means that my hands will need to go into the water, and that's an added risk of introducing contaminants into a tank. Avoid if possible.

CO2 shrimp tanks are not taboo and can be done, as long as you know the risks & disadvantages, which is what Brent and Merv are trying to say. Many people have done it successfully. You can always supplement O2 with oxydators, like the one from Sochting. Go ahead if you still like to try it. But do it properly. If you add CO2, plant the heck out of the tank - don't do it in halves and let the shrimp suffer from too much CO2

• Like 3

Agree with above comment. It's possible and know the risks. Too much CO2 is deadly for shrimps for sure.

I've added a small group of shrimp in a small tank where the CO2 had run quite hard a few hours before, but closed it. So did not think that it would harm them. Came back 10 minutes later to find them all dead. One of the most stupid mistakes I've made, but to learn the risks of a CO2 overdose the hard way.