Welcome to SKF Aquatics (Shrimp Keepers Forum)

Welcome to SKF Aquatics (Shrimp Keepers Forum), like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of SKF Aquatics (Shrimp Keepers Forum) by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

RagingWind92

Welcome RagingWind92

3 posts in this topic

SKF Aquatics (Shrimp Keepers Forum) welcomes RagingWind92.

Please feel free to browse around and get to know others. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

View Member

regards,
skfadmin

Welcome to SKF @RagingWind92.

Thank you very much, glad to be here. :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Topics

• Live Auction Items

• jayc
      I did more research on Bifuran. It is  Broadspectrum - which means it kills both Gram negative and Gram positive bacteria. API have a similar (same) product called Furan2.   Their active ingredients are made up of two forms of Furazone, hence the name. Doing a search on API's version Furan2, which I presume is more popular, turns up many instances of "do not use with inverts". So the product is not safe for inverts or shrimps.
    • jayc
      "Bifuran is a mixture of Nitrofurazone (80%) and Furazolidone (20%). Bifuran possesses bacteriostatic, bacteriocidal and antimicrobial properties useful for treating and controlling bacterial and sporozonoan diseases. It is indicated for the control of Aeromonas spp.,Vibrio spp., and other bacterial pathogens. Bifuran treats external diseases AND internal (systemic) diseases. It can be used as a bath (or dip), a total pond treatment or it can be given orally. It is very effective for controlling ulcers, fin rot, mouth rot and tail rot. Bifuran is a very effective total pond treatment.

Bifuran will be an additional ingredient in DebrideRX medicated food starting in mid-2006. Bifuran is a very cost effective treatment for koi and goldfish. When used as a total pond treatment, 100 grams treats 1,000 gallons. 1 kilo (2.2 lbs.) treats 10,000 gallons. As a dip, it is dosed at 100mg/gallon."   Found that on the internet. Probably depends on what dosage you used as well. Most meds assume you are treating fish, and do not take into account a lower dosage for inverts like bee shrimp. All the more reason for a hospital tank. Only give treatment and meds to the sick.  I think your best move now would be to do gravel vacuum water changes, and stabilise the ammonia build up. And check that GH value, it could be the KH.  Invest in a GH/KH test kit, its a 2in1. They are not that expensive. Also invest in a TDS meter. They are cheap now, and will be the best test kit invest apart from a pH pen.
    • xrayguy
      I don't know if my GH has always been that low.  LFS tested it for me yesterday.  My test kit doesn't have that ( API master kit) Temp is set at 75 F/24 C I did a google search of bifuran and several forums said it was safe for shrimp.  I'm not feeling that way right now.    
    • Shrimpness
      What is on my shrimp and how do I need to take care of this. Salt dipped them both 2 days in a row and I still see them on the shrimp. Looks like trees and they are located on left of shrimp.
    • Zoidburg
      Bifuran       I don't know if Bifuran is actually invert safe, but a GH of 1 I do find concerning... since most shrimp do best in around 5 GH, cherries typically better in 6-8 GH. Has the GH always been that low?     Also, I've seen shrimp *thriving* in a tank with 0.25 ammonia... Tank crashed though once the owner went away due to family emergencies and was away for a few months... she thinks that the tank nearly died off because the tank wasn't fed enough (had hundreds, if not thousands of shrimp lining the bottom, as well as mollies swimming at the top and several healthy plants in the tank), but I'm guessing that whoever was watching the tank could have over-fed the tank and/or didn't do enough water changes... and the ammonia levels became too toxic for the tank to handle... thus killing off most of the inhabitants, plants included... (rather than the idea that they weren't fed enough, so they ate the plants...)