Welcome to SKF Aquatics (Shrimp Keepers Forum)

Welcome to SKF Aquatics (Shrimp Keepers Forum), like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of SKF Aquatics (Shrimp Keepers Forum) by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Zebra

My dragon betta

Zebra    137
Zebra

Hello, 

So today while visiting a friend who works at my local fish shop I could help but buy a couple of Bettas they had there, we've been talking lately about Bettas they plan to breed. 

I've got them in they 5-bay I sumped over my shrimp tank till I set them up a better tank, lol.

IMG_1301.JPG

IMG_1303.JPG

IMG_1305.PNG

• Like 2

jayc    1,401
jayc

Nice betta @Zebra. Good to see pics of fish every once in a while on SKFA.

Edited by jayc
  • Like 1

Zebra    137
Zebra

Thanks mate, 

The female looks like she's about to drop eggs any day now.

For a long time my main focus was plants and I was put right off live stock cause of my hellish nightmare 4ft tank, the fish were just messing stuff up as someone sold me CAE as otos haha, long time ago now.

I think it's always a good idea to go through all the basics with breeding.

He wasn't the biggest of the lot they had but my friend said he would have been her next choice if she didn't get the one she got. 

I'm very curious now to learn what to look for in "good genetics"

So far my small bit of research shows it's not good to breed Bettas with random blue and red as they will likely make off- coloured mutts that will be hard to rehome, And although I'm willing to build proper individual  grow out tanks, I don't want to end up with hundreds of Bettas living permenantly in these small grow out style tanks haha. 

Im in the dog house with the other half as it is haha.

A lot of my wanting to get these Bettas too is that, my first fish was a betta, and with bad advice from the fish shop I didnt buy him a filter or anything, ( I used to do a few decent water changes everyweek though) and I find they make much better actual pets as far as personality etc goes then most fish, they really notice when you do a water change.

But all my tanks have to be for some kind of breeding setup to at the very least offset my hobby costs. Haha

cheers

KeenShrimp    237
KeenShrimp

@jayc, they are gorgeous, but unfortunately not mine😍

• Like 1

jayc    1,401
jayc
1 minute ago, KeenShrimp said:

not mine

Doh!

how did that happen?

editing my post.

Zebra    137
Zebra

Lol. I think you'd better- eh, see what I did there? Haha😂

jayc    1,401
jayc
2 hours ago, Zebra said:

Lol. I think you'd betta

Fixed the spelling for you.

• Like 1

Zebra    137
Zebra

Haha, 

So setting up the spawn tank today, it's an old bowfront aquatopia 50L all in one, the light stopped working and hood always had moisture problems (which probably broke the light) even after I added extra ventilation. 

So it's bin sad watching it lay to waste outside as it was our first proper tank with a filter and heater.

Just removed the hood completely, gave it a nice cleanup and given it a new lease on life. 

I have one 20w led flood for the day lighting, Small low light blue and white leds for the night light, A pre cycled sponge filter, Small pieces of wood and lava rock with plants and moss, And also some floating plants. Got some IAL coming soon, planning to do a barebottom tank and use rainwater from my large tank tds 60ppm.

So how does this sound so far?

Zebra    137
Zebra

My spawn tank 😁

The night light.

IMG_1364.JPG

The day light.

IMG_1366.JPG

My girl.

IMG_1367.JPG

IMG_1368.JPG

Edited by Zebra

Zebra    137
Zebra

So after a great introduction and nice bubble nesting. 

The male attacked my girl and I had to get her out. 

A lot of tanks have been sold and bought since then haha, and I've just introduced her to my new male koi betta. So time to start a new thread I guess haha

jayc    1,401
jayc
On 09/04/2017 at 1:06 PM, Zebra said:

koi betta

???

Picture! Please.

• Like 1

NoGi    1,343
NoGi

Nice Betta.

Good to start seeing some fish photos here too.

• Like 1

Zebra    137
Zebra

He's in a tank with my female now, she jumped over the seperater and said hello yesterday haha.

so far they are getting along well, but I don't leave them alone together too long.

IMG_2252.JPG

IMG_2253.PNG

• Like 1

ineke    887
ineke

Interested to see how you go. My first ever try at breeding Bettas was a huge success after a couple of false starts. Ended up with about 300 fry from the pair - we stopped counting after 270 - I know now it's best to cull some when the numbers are so big but at the time it was super exciting and I also didn't know there were so many babies and being my first attempt I didn't expect them to survive ! Good luck .

• Like 2

Zebra    137
Zebra

Nice, haha I would be the same I think, but Yeah I've also read that culling is kinder in the end.

Do you have any tips or tricks on breeding them Ineke?

Theyre just in a tank with low water level, a bubble filter and heater, and a heap of plants.

Its nice soft water and I use lots of oak leaves in there.

cheers

ineke    887
ineke

image.thumb.jpeg.68b97d07081db161323854e311f613ca.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.584dbfca2d8cae46bc72321cef95c9e0.jpegAs I only bred mine once - I got scared off with the amount of time it took to look after so many fish- I can't really say I'm very experienced however I did quite a bit of research and it was suggested that a piece of bubble wrap be put in the tank for the boy to build his nest under. Previously his nest kept breaking apart , once the bubble wrap was floating in a corner he built a much more stable nest. 

I used a bare bottomed tank and initially has IAL in there but as it broke down it left a lot of mulm on the floor and made it harder to clean any excess food out. 

I took the male out day 3 .

I had a supply of vinegar eels for the first few days after hatching . As soon as I saw the fry hatching I commenced breeding brine shrimp so that I had a ready supply of newly hatched brine shrimp for day 3. I kept setting up new brine shrimp hatcheries everyday and fed the eels and BBS for a few days then slowly stopped the eels and increased the BBS. As there were so many fry I also introduced powdered fry food about day 7 I think it was but I was still worried that might not be enough so I bought some freeze dried black worms in cubes and stuck them on the glass in various areas around the tank to allow all the fry a chance to get to them. They demolished it in a very short time . I bought some live worms - again black worms - and chopped them up with a razor blade - and feed them in small amounts the fry loved them but the BBS seemed to be the favourite - I started feeding the older brine shrimp too - it was great to see the fry chasing the brine shrimp.

as I was home I was able to feed them at least 4 times a day. Apparently you need to be careful as the fry can get very hungry and gorge on food if they aren't fed often and their little tummies don't do well. You can see the tummies filling up as they catch their food. It was easy to see if they were getting enough as some babies looked empty so I would squirt the brine shrimp around the tank and especially close to the smaller fry. The size difference was quite noticeable so putting the food near to the smaller fry gave them a chance to eat before the big guys came and took the bulk of the food. 

I will say it is better to buy good quality brine shrimp eggs - they hatch much better than some of the cheaper ones. I also tried ocean nutrition pre hatched brine shrimp - they are not alive but they are in a suspension - they are a reasonable standby for the times a batch of eggs don't hatch well but the live brine shrimp are definitely eaten better by the fry. I think the movement of the live brine shrimp keeps the fry interested .

Edited by ineke

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• GotCrabs
      By GotCrabs
      Hi all, haven't really been on for awhile due to life's challenges that get thrown our way from time to time but have thought I would jump on and ask for some suggestions on the following.
      My Mum has a bright red Betta that she adores and it's currently in a 12g that I use to keep all my shrimp in, well the Betta took care of them all and I'm in the process of making it back into a shrimp only tank with just Anubias on driftwood and Moss, so I am after some suggestions for an all in one nano set up for a Betta, I've looked on eBay and haven't found anything I really like or should I say trust that won't break as some look quite cheap and would like to buy her something decent that will do the job well, checked out the Fluval Chi but think the lighting is quite poor though, so think that's out of the question also.
      Anyway, if anyone could give me some suggestions it would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
    • ScubaTron
      By ScubaTron
      Hi,
      Does anyone know how long the babies will stay attached to the female before they leave her and fend for themselves. Seems like all the babies on my female have hatched and have been stuck to her for about almost 1 week now.
    • Dimos
      By Dimos
      Hi everyone!
      I was wondering what is the right way to breed different colors of Neocaridina Davidi. I saw there can be red color (Red Cherry Shrimp), Blue Velvet, Neon Yellow, Orange. Is the right way to keep each color in a separate tank? Or maybe have a separator in the tank? I guess if different colors breed the shrimplets will be mixed colors, right?
      Thanks a bunch and excuse me for the silly questions, I am new to Shrimp keeping/breeding!
      Dimos
    • Zoidburg
      By Zoidburg
      This is a bit of a condensed version of several articles and videos below. Just wondering if there may be any additional info that may be beneficial on this journey. I have two berried females, the first one which already hatched out a handful of zoes? (didn't find hundreds of babies... only what could maybe be counted on one hand... only fish are kuhli loaches) Grabbed them last night and transferred to saltwater, this morning the female is already berried again. (can't seem to find a molt, so a little surprised there...) Second should be hatching in about two weeks, and hopefully there will be more.

~5 weeks from berried to hatch
      Do not need to be fed while in freshwater (at least the first 3-4 days?)
      Transfer to saltwater within 8 days of hatching (no acclimation required)
      Zoes are attracted to light
      Salinity between 30 and 35 ppt (1.022 to 1.026 sg)
      Air stone with reduced flow
      Temperature 68° F to 84° F?
      Diet
      Diatoms? Phytoplankton Tetraselmis Dunalliela Salina Nannochloropsis Rotifers? (zooplankton) Isochrysis sp. Tahaitian? Liquizell Golden Pearls (5-50 Microns - larger may work) Spirulina Powder (mixed with water) Mosura Shrimpton Light on for 16-24 hrs a day
      Morph into adults around 3-6 weeks of age
      Acclimate morphed babies (post larvae form) to fresh water within a few days over a period of 3 days, changing 50% of saltwater to fresh once a day - 4th day, move to freshwater

Side Note: Adults survive salinity up to 17-18 ppt (for hatching in brackish water) - Adults cannot survive full concentration of marine water, eggs will not hatch in saltwater

Resources;
      https://gabhar.wordpress.com/2009/11/11/breeding-amano/
      http://aquariuminfo.org/amanoshrimp.html http://caridina.japonica.online.fr/English/Elevage.htm
      http://www.caridinajaponica.de/zuchtbericht.htm (German)
      http://www.shrimpnow.com/content.php/129-Amano-Yamato-Shrimp-Breeding (English version of above article)
      http://www.shrimpnow.com/content.php/288-Caridina-Japonica-breeding

Video;
    • Serra
      By Serra
      Hi all,
      I'm not sure if anyone will see this, but I'll give it a try!
      I'm currently having some issues with my male Plakat that is 10 months old.
      I have a 20 liter tank, heated, with a 30cm pro z led light.
      The tank used to be scaped but he began to look unwell. We have another empty tank so I had him in there for about a week and he got better. Basically I've been putting him back and forth between tanks until I ended up taking everything out and he had a bare bottom tank with some rocks anubias and moss. This has gone well for about a month but yesterday he appears for a better word, lethargic. He seems to be spending a lot of time towards the top of the tank.
      This is becoming highly frustrating as I am more than happy to have a nice landscaped tank for him but he doesn't seem to like it.
      The ph is around 7.2
      27deg
      All water tests have been very low as I give him a small amount of fresh waster daily. I've tried straight tap with Prime, RO with equilibriam and a mix of both. There are always IAL in the tank also.
      Any thoughts/help/comments would be greatly appreciated!
      Cheers
      Serra

• Topics

• pmasa
      Thanks for all the tips @Baccus, the route that i am currently taking is to get a at least on blue adult then separate it with a male/female and go from there. At this stage i am still waiting for them to grow to adult and to make sure that they hold their colour through to adulthood. @revolutionhope i have a feeling that black shrimp start as blue and the colour gets deeper as they get older until the point that it almost looks black. I found when i first opened the parcel with the shrimp that the stressed state caused more of the underlying blue to come out, before darkening again. I currently have 4 tanks at my disposal for shrimp, however i would like to get into the caridinas and devote a tank to them... As an aside i have found that the 3 females (+1 reddish male) in my 60L community tank are significantly larger than those in their own tanks, i am wondering if the slightly warmer temperature and significantly more abundant food is playing a role in the size.
    • EBC
      It was Fluval Shrimp Stratum which I have learned tends to have a relatively short life span compared to other soils. Will probably just replace it all in about 6 months when I move again. Any recommendations for one that will last the longest? And one that I can actually buy in Australia? But yes, I imagine that she was just weak from the pH swings from before. The three remaining males all seem perfectly healthy for now at least. I'll give it some time to make sure there are no more deaths and then maybe find a nice female to add. I have seen varying opinions on this, but how often would you suggest doing water changes (standard, not emergency) on a small tank like mine (28L)? I was doing them pretty infrequently before (~monthly; 20%) as I was using tap water so I wanted to avoid too many. Now that I will have an RO system would ~10% weekly be better? Or something else? Thanks again.
    • KillieOrCory
      Nice. Look forward to seeing the progress. I am too impatient to start from scratch but the challenge seems worthwhile to attempt.
    • revolutionhope
      When you added soil can I ask what soil it was ? Did you pre-cycle it? Also it's worth noting that if that shrimp had been through some stress while exposed to high pH they will have weakened immune systems and so other little issues can tip them over the edge.   More than once I've discovered problems and corrected them as carefully as I could only to still watch the occasional shrimp die over the following days and weeks still despite conditions being ideal I believe.   will     PS Just as an aside - ¥others will have different opinions and prefer to do multiple smaller waterchanges but my modus operandi when I feel that a tank is "stuffed" is to do one or two huuuuuuge waterchanges - carefully allowing the new water to drip in slowly over 24-48 hours and then leave it be. The three times now that I've done this to get myself out of a bad spot I have found that although some already weak shrimp may continue to pass away over the following days even up to 2 or 3 weeks later but the healthier ones bounce back quickly and are breeding already within a few weeks.
    • EBC
      No real updates unfortunately. All water parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, KH, GH, pH) were perfect on the day she died. All I can think is that the lack of buffering capacity left in the soil resulted in pH swings that killed her.  I added more soil and the water is back to being buffered at pH 6.4. I have switched to only using RO water now (bought 20L for now but have an RO unit on the way). Hopefully the substrate will buffer a bit longer now and this won't happen again. Just a shame as there are only 3 adult male CRS left in the tank plus the shrimplets from the female that just died. Could be a while before the numbers get back up on their own so I may need to replenish them (also a bit of genetic diversity would be good). How do people usually handle switching out substrate? Especially with baby shrimps around, that sounds like a real hassle and you are bound to lose some. Is there some special technique? Thanks!
  • Featured Products

• Recent Articles