CRS breeding habits

klsuth12au

Hi all,

I'm new to the shrimp scene and loving it :)

I have one question though, do CRS breed heavily all year round cos my girls have been extremely productive.

Just worried that the 40 tank is going to be chockers in a few months. [emoji15]

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

That's an easy worry to take care of... sell the excess shrimp!  Then you can go buy more different kinds of shrimps...

As to your actual question... I suspect the answer would depend on the conditions your shrimp experience, especially temperatures.  I've heard some peoples' shrimps don't breed at all or as well during certain months.  Which months these shrimp keepers are talking about varies (some have low winter output, some low summer outputs). 

• Like 2

True l could do that.

Yes l heard about how hard they are to breed, half expecting that because I'm new to CRS.

Even went away on holidays for 3 weeks and the person l got to feed them could only come once a week. On returning, saw that the glass tube was filled with food so they weren't fed at all.

Its a wonder they didn't die but instead l had about 50 babies. Then last week 3 more lots of babies. Now l have 4 more berried girls.

Thanks for your reply :)

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

It must be the trick, no tinkering :)
They are still breeding heaps. Trying to sell them, not to popular in my area. Have sent a few packs by post though but they just keep breeding.
I think l need a few new tanks lol

• 1 year later...
On 12/4/2016 at 8:24 AM, klsuth12au said:

It must be the trick, no tinkering ?
They are still breeding heaps. Trying to sell them, not to popular in my area. Have sent a few packs by post though but they just keep breeding.
I think l need a few new tanks lol

HAHAHHA that seems like a rather happy problem to me ? Would be really glad if my own CRS were as productive as yours!

• 1 year later...

Get more tanks! ?That's what I do.

Really though, if you drop temperature it should stop or at least slow breeding, somewhere between 68-70F. Or if you stop feeding the tank, eventually they will consume all available foods in the tank and there simply won't be any new biomass for the colony to consume. Colonies generally reach an equilibrium point when this happens, either because a) females stop producing eggs due to lack of available food, or b) the babies don't survive because adult shrimp outcompete them for the available food; adults eat the babies and the circle of life continues.

• Like 1