Breeding pairs in breeder boxes

revolutionhope

Hi!

Just wondering how people go about feeding and caring for 2 shrimp that have been specifically set aside and placed in a breeder box.

I don't know if there are many people who do this with shrimp but I hope someone can shed some light on it for me.

Love n peace

Will

mine always died when i tried this so i gave up and just turned to culling the sh it males, works well enough 

Any idea why they died?

I haven't had my breeding boxes for long (about 1.5 months) and therefore limited experience, but I basically treat them like miniature tanks - complete with a very thin layer of substrate, plants, and hiding places.  I feed tiny bits of food, skipping feeds half the time and try to rely more on things like biofilm and a shred of dried leaf (lower risk of having it rot) or a bit of soy husk.  And generally speaking, there will be more than one female in the tank (as many as I can find that are ready and of the desired type, up to about 7).  I also return the females to their main tank once they have berried.  The poor male(s) just have to deal!  They get a harem, after all. 

I've had about 10 successful berried females that way, 2 batches of babies hatched, 2 more expected in the next week.  The low numbers are partly because I only do that for the types I have very few specimens of (like a single lonely new Aura Blue x TTB hybrid male) and because I just don't have that many adult females I was willing to dedicate to such projects yet.

no idea, Ive tried it twice now both where in tank ones not the hang on type, one was a meta cub the other was a ziss i had moss and a thin layer of sub like you described.

but like i said i just stick to culling now most of my tanks are single lines and i don't really have a need to make them so line bread atm as long as they all punch out babies i can pluck the duds out and not have to worry about to much