Shrimp newbie - white cloudy fuzz

gab.houghton

new tank, has no fish and only freshwater shrimp. there is some white fuzz growing in the tank, at first a piece of blanched zucchini started growing the fuzz, I threw that away and now the new blanched zucchini piece I put in has fuzz after only a day. I'll add a picture, is this fuzz a problem?

f94552b3b3f3571f30527b2767fc00bb.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Looks like common tank fungus or bacteria.

I don't think it's anything to worry about. It just looks like you have left the zucchini in there too long.

Put less into the tank, even 1/4 looks like it might be too much.

@gab.houghton,

just out of curiosity ... how are you preparing the zucchini?

Do you blanch (boil) them in boiling water for 2-3 minutes?

If you add them into the tank raw, the shrimp won't touch them until it gets soft, which could be a few days.

If you blanch them, the shrimp usually eat the veg before there is time for fungus and biofilm to form on the veg.

Yeah, maybe the piece is too large for the amount of shrimp in the tank? I only get that if it's been in the tank too long as it's too large.

Had the similar issue it clogged my hob on one of the tanks. Will cut smaller and thinner pcs and try again. Otto and shrimps and ram horn snails love it tho

@gab.houghton,

just out of curiosity ... how are you preparing the zucchini?

Do you blanch (boil) them in boiling water for 2-3 minutes?

If you add them into the tank raw, the shrimp won't touch them until it gets soft, which could be a few days.

If you blanch them, the shrimp usually eat the veg before there is time for fungus and biofilm to form on the veg.

blanched

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

The zucchini piece is probably just too big then. It's sitting in the tank too long without being eaten. Just remove the uneaten piece when it grows the fuzz.

Edited by jayc
  • Like 1