Clicky

Sign in to follow this  
faith_fighter

ro vs water conditioner

faith_fighter

What do people use in there guppy tanks ro water or do you add water conditioner to tap water what success have you had and issues if any with both

jayc

I don't keep guppies, but I do keep a few similar soft water fish.

A mix of RO and conditioned tap water is the best for me.

The tap water in Sydney is usually too high in pH. So the RO helps bring the pH down to a more suitable 6.5 - 7.0.

And it also brings the TDS down, which is key to softwater loving fish.

If you don't have RO water, I find rain water just as good as RO. Again, mixed with some conditioned tap water.

zn30
On 1 May 2016 at 9:54 PM, jayc said:

I don't keep guppies, but I do keep a few similar soft water fish.

A mix of RO and conditioned tap water is the best for me.

The tap water in Sydney is usually too high in pH. So the RO helps bring the pH down to a more suitable 6.5 - 7.0.

And it also brings the TDS down, which is key to softwater loving fish.

If you don't have RO water, I find rain water just as good as RO. Again, mixed with some conditioned tap water.

I was loosing guppies, at the time I was using tap water with water treatment, when changing to rain water as @jayc states, the problems seemed to disappear and slowly growing numbers up again. I use guppies for cleaning excess food in L series catfish tanks and some smaller cichlid tanks, also a live food supplement at times.

• Like 1

jayc
11 hours ago, zn30 said:

also a live food supplement at times

:surprise:

zn30
5 hours ago, jayc said:

:surprise:

Just another form of culling @jayc

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

Join Our Community!

• Cesar
      Congrats @Sheldon13, keep us updated on their progress...
    • Sheldon13
      I LOVE the Velvet blue you have.  Beautiful specimen!
    • Sheldon13
      It's my first time guys!  I got these as my first shrimp, they were berried within 2 days and I had to squeal this morning when I woke up to babies!  So far I count 13.  I had 2 berried females so I know there's more...  They are orange cherries 😄
    • Baccus
      As helpful as pictures are I was wondering if there is a written description of the different colour varieties, much like what would be for say a show dog where desired criteria must be met in order for it to be grand champion worthy or pet quality. I ask because I am seeing many people selling "blue dreams" for example but there seems to be a great deal of difference with regards to darkness of the blue or clarity of the blue. And many of the sellers are either correctly claiming the shrimp are high grade or wrongly duping ( Not all but some and some could be doing it by accident too from not having a definitive accurate description to go by) new buyers who go on to breed said shrimp and sell on the offspring guessing they are high grade because they purchased high grade.
    • Dooliga
      The best write up on CPD's I've come across (and I've been trying to read everything I can find on them). Fantastic photos too. From the first time I read about and watched CPD's online I wanted some with a clear intent to breed them. It took me over 6 months to find some CPDs in a LFS to purchase (could have got some shipped earlier, but hated the idea of them not surviving as they are not cheap in Australia). Finally I found and bought 20 less than a week ago. Fitted right in with my community tank, colour improving daily. A tank to house them in is maturing and intend to pick out a few to see if they will breed there to start with. Plan is to get breeding tanks set-up soon and looking forward to trying some of the methods explained pretty clearly in this article. Hope I remember to come back here and share my experience. Thanks S1l3nt!

Dooliga